somebody tell me something interesting,

by Hortensia 63 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

lake superior is the largest surface area fresh water lake in the world ( 31,700 sq. miles / 82,100 sq. km) ....

if the shoreline were straightened out it would reach from duluth, mn to the bahamas..........

superior could hold all the other great lakes plus 3 additional lake eries....

if lake superior was emptied onto north and south america ( all 3 QUADRILLION gallons), the water would be a foot deep....

superior holds 10% of the earth's fresh surface water.....

.the deepest point is 1300 feet.....

the retention/replacement time to completely recycle the water in superior is 193 years......

some of the world's oldest rocks ( 2.7 billion years) can be found on the superior's ontario shores.......

in summer, the sun sets 35 minutes later on the western shore than it does on the southeastern shore.....

58 orchid species are native to the lake's basin.......

formed after the last glacial retreat, superior is a relatively young geological feature, about 10,000 years old.....

compare this to the age of the world's largest lake by volume, russia's lake baikal, which is said to be 25 million years old......

the most significant lake effect snows in the world occur on lake superior

Lake Superior produces the greatest lake effect snows on earth. (Significant lake effect snows are a rare phenomenon, occurring--besides on the Great Lakes--only on the east shore of Hudson Bay and the west coasts of two Japanese islands.)

LLake Superior produces the greatest lake effect snows on earth. (Significant lake effect snows are a rare phenomenon, occurring--besides on the Great Lakes--only on the east shore of Hudson Bay and the west coasts of two Japanese islands.) LaLake Superior produces the greatest lake effect snows on earth. (Significant lake effect snows are a rare phenomenon, occurring--besides on the Great Lakes--only on the east shore of Hudson Bay and the west coasts of two Japanese islands.) Lake Superior produces the greatest lake effect snows on earth. (Significant lake effect snows are a rare phenomenon, occurring--besides on the Great Lakes--only on the east shore of Hudson Bay and the west coasts of two Japanese islands.) ke Superior produces the greatest lake effect snows on earth. (Significant lake effect snows are a rare phenomenon, occurring--besides on the Great Lakes--only on the east shore of Hudson Bay and the west coasts of two Japanese islands.) ake Superior produces the greatest lake effect snows on earth. (Significant lake effect snows are a rare phenomenon, occurring--besides on the Great Lakes--only on the east shore of Hudson Bay and the west coasts of two Japanese islands.)

• BFD
    BFD

Wow great thread, Hortensia, finally!

I find it interesting that some people think it's alright to share other people's personal information on a public forum.

BFD

• flipper
    flipper

HORTENSIA - As you might have seen my thread the last couple of days my wife and I are getting an apostafest together at South Lake Tahoe on July 4th and 5th weekend. About 10 to 15 are coming for sure so far, so thought I'd put the word out to you too ! Tahoe is beautiful it should be fun !

My wife and I and my 23 year old son and his girlfriend enjoy hiking in the Sierra mountains up here in the North part of the state , and fishing and camping. I collect art as well from the early 1900's 1900 to 1935 old prints, frame them myself. A variety of subjects - mountain sceneries, rivers, lakes , waterfalls, moonlight prints. Also fishing and hunting prints, garden scenes , flapper girls from the 1920's, indian maiden prints with mountains in the background . Lots of variety. We have about 100 framed prints on our walls , my wife and I ! We also play scrabble regularly , so we stay pretty active. Mrs. Flipper has an incredible green thumb. She can grow a vegetable and flower garden like no one else I've seen ! So, I hpe I interested you ! Hope you are well ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• berylblue
    berylblue

A psychic told me I was going to come into some money.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Tomorrow is BFD's Birthday!

• BFD
    BFD

Actuall, Nvr, it's Friday. Simon can't tell time.

BFD

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Actuall, Nvr, it's Friday. Simon can't tell time.

BFD

Well Happy Birthday for Friday then, BFD.

Have a great one!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Had a garage sale this past weekend. Mom had two items suspected to be valuable....but she was ready to let them go for a couple of dollars each.

I told her, "hold on let me look them up on the evil internet" Turns out one was an ironstone vegetable dish from 1840 by "Jean Edwards" worth anywhere from 6 to 8 hundred dollars. The other was a little figurine from the Beatrix Potter series selling anywhere from 75 to 100.00.

So...needless to say, I am keeping them for future value.

r.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

A cockroach can live several weeks with it's head cut off.

A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans.

momz

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I collect Roseville pottery and a few other things. I have a small collection of pottery baby shoes (I think they were originally used for floral arrangements). I have a small antique shop so I buy a lot of other things, but mostly I just buy for resale, but I couldn't sell the roseville. Most have a few chips, but I don't mind. I am proud that today I cleaned up my basement. It's my workroom for my antique business, so it gets pretty cluttered with junk. Flipper, I used to leave not far from Lake Tahoe (east of Sacramento on I50), so I love that area. Today I leave in Colorado and hike in the Rockies, but I sure miss California.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit