To all Bible believers... and non

by dawg 91 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

where else can you find so much love and compassion?

The Beatles...but without all the smiting...

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

XJW,

I think that your OP may be in error because it appears to me that you are presupposing that the JW faith and New Testament Christianity are the same. In my research they are not similar. They have diametrically oposed views on theology, christology, soteriology, ecclesiology and eschatology (and I am just scratching the surface). However, you are entitled to your own opinion.

I think that Dawg's point is that both JW's, mainstream Christianity et al, rely on interpretation of Biblical texts upon which they base their faith.

As bickering over Biblical interpretations hounds the history of both the JW's and all other Christian religions, this very fact validates the point that Dawg is making.

HS

• cognac
    cognac
    Just take the whole Eve and Adam story and try to defend it… in this myth, we have a God who tells his children not to eat a fruit, and if they eat it they will die… then he kills all subsequent children because of what his elder kids did.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, this didn't make sense to me. When I was a teenager, I decided that in the sacred secrets there must be some sort of reason for this... I thought maybe Satan was a bit more powerful then we thought, and what happened was because of some sort of deal they made...

Why do I still go to the scriptures??? The scriptures even state that you keep searching for the truth as if because of that you will be saved. So, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter whether the scriptures are correct or not. It has no bearing of whether or not we will be saved if it is we can be saved.

I feel that what is important is that we live our life in a way that is simply reasonable right... If we use the scriptures for guidance, fine. I don't feel that is the end all, be all. I don't think the way some of the scriptures portray God is correct, or at least, gives us all of the information surrounding the event...

Anyways, the bottom line is... I think it is important to use common sense and reason. To live our lives in a way that is loving, reasonable, and sound. No matter how we get from point A to point B matters to me, as long as we are good people to everyone. As long as we use sound human reason. As long as we don't use scriptures to use it against people or to act as if we are in any way better and respect others for who they are and are non-judgemental and simply loving...

Dawg, I see where you are coming from. I think it is rare for people to actually use scriptures to get from point A to point B as I just spoke about...

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

XJW,

I think that your OP may be in error because it appears to me that you are presupposing that the JW faith and New Testament Christianity are the same. In my research they are not similar. They have diametrically oposed views on theology, christology, soteriology, ecclesiology and eschatology (and I am just scratching the surface). However, you are entitled to your own opinion.

I think that Dawg's point is that both JW's, mainstream Christianity et al, rely on interpretation of Biblical texts upon which they base their faith.

As bickering over Biblical interpretations hounds the history of both the JW's and all other Christian religions, this very fact validates the point that Dawg is making.

HS

HI Hillary,

WIth all do respect I did not come away with that view. Dawg clearly equates the JW faith with Christianity when he stated:

Ok, so you come on this site and attack the JWs, why can’t you see that you are the same as the JWs when you defend the Bible? After all, aren’t you defending the already dis proven faith that you believe?

Based on this I do not think that you post answers mine.

• dawg
    dawg

I love you Cognac, what you say is true, but what I'm trying to get people to see is that the Bible has been proven incorrect, it isn't just the fact, the absolute fact it doesn't make sense, it's that all evidence proves that the Bible is wrong.

Real one, you are making my point for me, that you just believe, so what makes you different than a JW, they just believe?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Damn it Real One, quit dancing around and address the question.

This is why I lost my "faith", bible believers cannot answer dawgs question without dancing and dodging. And I couldn't either.

• dawg
    dawg

Thank you Hillary, and yes that is the point somewhat. But it's also a fact that the Bible has been proven false. I was watching the "human ape" last night,the evidence showing that man is over 30K years old is overwhelming, it's not just a few radio carbon dates we're talking about. Yet the bible relies on talking snakes.... WTF? Some of you think that's true?

• cognac
    cognac
    I love you Cognac, what you say is true, but what I'm trying to get people to see is that the Bible has been proven incorrect, it isn't just the fact, the absolute fact it doesn't make sense, it's that all evidence proves that the Bible is wrong.

Awwww, thanks Dawg...

Even if people do see that the bible is incorrect, some simply need it for one reason or another. They lose something that is important to them, so they ignore the parts that don't make sense. It's just to difficult for them.

Take for example, with me, a few years back. Somebody showed me how the God of the Hebrew scriptures was evil.

So, what did I do??? Ignore the Hebrew scriptures altogether and focus on the Greek scriptures. Did it make sense? Yes and no. No, because it just didn't, but yes, because I needed the scriptures. It was already to much a part of me. I didn't know who I was without the scriptures...

Now, I do. I am finally at the point that I don't need them... However, some people I think would lose so much of themselves without the scriptures that it may kill there hearts... 5 years ago, my heart would have died without them. I needed them.

If people need them, that's fine. However, they are so often used against people that I'm not so sure that it outweighs the value of them...

• dawg
    dawg

Yes Cognac, the weighing the good and bad results about the Bible is relevant. I think the Bible isn't the point in question as much as logic... faith makes you lose logic, it opens the door for all sorts of absolute crap. It's the problem with all religious beliefs-they all tell you to "just believe" ot have faith and lose logic. Then anything goes.. its dangerous!

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Well I have to say that it's because of people like Real One that I'm not a believer, the only way to rationalize belief in the Bible is to constantly make claims that either a) Cannot be proven or b) I have no evidence for by I act as if I do. Honestly hearing an ardent believer speak gives me the creeps, there is little difference between the way Real One talks and the way a suicide bomber talks. They both know 100% that they are true, they've believed it since childhood and nothing can change their minds.

These people are mentally ill and need help, we as a society should be trying to find a way to treat these people but instead everyone says we should respect their so called 'faith'. I say bullshit, we need to stand up and call this lunacy for what it is. It's this kind of talk 'I know I'm right, because I know I'm right, I can't really explain it' that can make a person be able to justify anything. What a load of crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit