Sea Monkeys

by RAYZORBLADE 12 Replies latest social humour

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I am not sure about the UK and other English speaking nations around the globe, but I can tell you this: Sea Monkeys were all the rage for a brief period of time in the United States and Canada.

Why?

Check out this ridiculous advertisement from the back of one our comic books that anyone of us would view in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Sea Monkeys.

Do you remember them?

Do you remember the advertisements in Marvel and DC comics?

Here's a photo from one advertisement:

http://seamonkeys.3wpages.com/ComicSeamonkeyAd1.jpg

As a dumb and naive kid growing up in Atlantic Canada, don't you think I had some wild ideas. I sent my money order in and anxiously awaited my family of obediant Sea Monkeys.

What I got was far from the cute picture depicted in the link above.

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!

Sea Monkeys were: brine shrimp.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I had brine shrimp in junior high, in the 80's. I loved the stupid things! My mom killed them when she cleaned out the bowl and put in table salt, thinking it didn't matter!

momz

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I wanted seamonkeys but had read that they were a source of false religion. I bought xray goggles instead. That feather in the lens really did the trick. W.Once

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

I always wanted the sea monkeys, they looked so fun with their little crown-like heads! :) Never did get 'em though. I did have a pet rock and a "squirm" (fuzzy bit of pipe cleaner on a string, basically)- does that count?! -Potential

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I wanted those ridiculous sea monkeys so bad, I never did get them. :-( I did have a pet rock, a chameleon on a string from the state fair and a marionette bird made of styrofoam balls and orange feathers though. Oh...and a chia pet.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Oh my god yes ...I wanted those sea monkeys soooo badly .

The advertisements made them look so cute and fun . I saved my allowance ...sent in my order and waited with anticipation for my new cool pets ...........and finally my dreams came true ....:( Damn those liars !!!!!

My sea monkeys didn't have underwater cities or castles ....As far as I could tell looking through a magnifying glass they didn't even live in small family groups . I felt like such a sucker .....

This lead me to become a cynic at age ten ....I refused to be duped into the pet rocks fiasco , but actually painted my own rocks to sell to the other gulliable kids at school ....as if taking advantage of someone else would make up for my sea monkey disappointment ...HHmmmmm maybe that is why I started going door to door for the witnesses at that age ????

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

RAZORBLADE do you remember the ads in the back of those kids magazines for Spider Monkeys ??? Gosh I really wanted one of those too , but my parents were horrible people and wouldn't hear of it just because monkey's crap all over the place and probably carry disesase ...hmffff

I did get to have those small pet turtles....the ones that are now outlawed because of salmoneallia poisoning !!!!

They were fun did you get to have those ?

• Gerard
    Gerard

Do you mean you didn't get to train a shrimp to fetch a ball? Not even ride a bicycle????

I and every single kid in my block got taken. I think I may have seen adds on TV too.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Have no fear folks - most of you got to become your very own WT monkey!

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Troubled- I had the little turtles, too. Never got salmonella, yea! They were kinda fun, in their little bowl with the plastic palm tree...except when they escaped! -Potential

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit