I hate the Watchtower but I really still hate the Trinity Jesus is NOT God!

by Witness 007 343 Replies latest jw experiences

• Steel
    Steel

The general understanding is Jesus is the angel of the Lord or word of the Lord in the old testament. Also you get some weird plurality in the old testament where the Lord is speaking to the Lord or jehovsh speaking to jehovsh.

When you read the new testament it becomes pretty clear that the authors believed Jesus was the second visible jehovah of the old testament.

This is only a message board so I am not going to write a book but do the research of appearances of Jesus in old testament . Then the pieces start to fall together.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Genesis 3:22 Jehovah speaks to his peers in saying "the man has become like one of us " Gods other than Jehovah ?

John 1:1 "the word was God" kingdom interlinear Translation ,KI, .word for word translation.of the Christian Greek Scriptures.published by yhe WTB&TS ,

Just saying.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The New Testament is a bit all over the place. I think some of the authors were trying to imply jesus was the same as the god of the Old Testament. Other authors were implying he was a new god an exalted god for what he did and then later the move to create the trinity was made so scriptures were written to imply this. There is no conformity on this in the Bible.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You can argue either way based on the Bible as Crazyguy says, and it seems plain that a properly formulated Doctrine of the Trinity was a later development, but so were other Doctrines.

I found On-line once one of the best defenses of the Trinity Doctrine written about 150 years ago by a Christadelphian scholar, and he was merely playing "Devil's Advocate", he did not believe in the Doctrine himself.

It is a pointless debate from my point of view, Jesus of Nazareth died close to 2000 years ago, Period.

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

I still say Little Red Riding Hood was the Big Bad Wolf. Oh, wait...I always get my fairy tails mixed up...

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I hate the trinity and always will hate it. The problem is that people take quotes from the Bible and use those to form or support the trinity. The quotes can not be trusted. I don't believe that Jesus said Father, son and holy spirit as there was no contextual reason for him to say it. If it does not make sense, it is not.

• waton
    waton

split personalities?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

There are very good writings, ancient ones and beyond, on the trinity concept. Have you read any of the ancient or ones from centuries ago?You may find yourself surprised, or find some information you believed was correct in quoting, actually taken way out of context.

My cousin, converted away from a fundamentalist Church of God upbringing ( his own father a very active, dedicated, and popular Fundamentalist Church of God preacher that never allows his very busy life to get in the way of running his church ( even when his job was two states way, and he also makes sure he is there for his family. Some kind of superman if you ask me), and even in the middle of theology to become a preacher and teacher in that religion, was stunned when getting access to ancient texts and really researching the concept. ( Though he agreed with the trinity already, those ancient writings were stunningly different from what he was brought up to believe about his religion and the trinity. He did his doctoral dissertation on this.

He converted to the ancient first christian church after much study, prayer and writing. He and his father were at odds for almost a year, but now are close once again, both knowing the other is doing what they know in their hearts is what God and Jesus wants/needs them to do. (Never mind they are on polarizing ends of the religion spectrum).

He has now chosen to be a teacher in theology and history for modest pay at a modest school. ( Not about money obviously, but conviction and desire to teach those who need him.) His salary could be much more if he so wanted. He went to two ivy league schools graduating with high honors. ( Home schooled through high school) He follows where his deep prayers lead him. I have extremely high respect for this 26 year old man.

My point, do more homework if you have a "hatred" for a topic. Find out WHY you hate it, and read accurate and full quotes from original source material before forming such an opinion.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

When I think of the Trinity I'm amused by the fact that the "Holy Spirit" has no personality whatsoever. God the Father plays his role as father and God the Son plays his role as, ahhh, son. But the Holy Spirit is as bland as an impersonal wind.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Personally I lean toward Pantheism, but I don’t see Trinitarian or Arian teachings as something to “hate”. They are both theologies, both interesting in their own way… why get into a huff about it? What I find distasteful is dogmatism. We are finite…why are we claiming to know so much about the Infinite?

Of course, in Watchtower world, the Trinity for some reason seems to be doctrinal enemy #1. Usually the Watchtower caricature of the Trinity is really Modalism, something that Tertullian was arguing against when he formulated Trinitarian doctrine in his work Against Praxis. I do believe that the writer of John taught something akin to this, whereas the writers of other gospels had different views.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit