Breastfeeding not allowed.

by The Scotsman 58 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Id say "I find it 'awkward' being complained about. I guess we're even. No need to change".

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

The PO and complainer must be Enlgish - Am I right? From my experience the Scottish aren't so prudish.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Missing link...

The P.O. is scottish but the husband and wife are English.

I used to serve on this body of elders and the P.O. was a pain in the rear. Constantly wanted it his way.

He was never keen on me cause I was a Glaswegian, he does not like Glasgow folks - inferiority complex on his part I think.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I wouild go to the bedroom, and miss the whole meeting.......... who cares about their silly armegheddon book over again?

• Mary
    Mary
    I was at the group last week (1st in about 4 weeks) and the conductor (the P.O.) takes a sister aside and tells her that she was not allowed to breastfeed her baby before or after the book study because "someone" found it awkward.........the twist in the story is that the group meets at HER house.

This whole scenario just goes to show how drunk some elders are on their own power, that they would dare to TELL someone what they can and can't do in the privacy of their own home. Let's say the sister in question wasn't covering herself up while breast-feeding (yes, some people do find it uncomfortable to see a woman breastfeed in public). If the elder had any sense of decency, he would have ASKED the sister if she would consider just putting a blanket or cover over her while feeding the baby, as some of the brothers were finding it awkward----or something like that. And before anyone says how 'natural' it is for a woman to breastfeed, let's remember that we're talking about a scenario in Dubdumb Land---not the real world. Had it been presented in a loving manner, I'm sure the sister would have been happy to comply.

Instead, the elder ORDERS her to do what HE wants, even though it's in HER HOME! What a presumptuous, pompous, self-righteous asshole. It's going to more than likely create some really bad feelings now-----a situation that could have been completely avoided, had the elder approached it a different manner.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I'd wait about 5 minutes into the study and just go up to my own room and enjoy my baby for the hour. Much more fun.

Really though, thinking back to when I was a believer I'd gather the watchtower articles & scriptures in support of breastfeeding (Isaac was, what, 5 at his weaning celebration?) and put a formal complaint in to the entire body of elders in writing. of course you have to word it as a meek, mild, sister who is really confused (insert rolling eye smiley) to be heard. I had an elder give me a lecture on spanking once (to which I'm opposed) and I did just that, and the rest of the elders basically told me that it was just his opinion and that he was speaking as any other brother and not an elder.

The worst thing they can do is move the bookstudy... and if they did I'd make sure everyone knew why. To be honest though, I'm not sure I'd want someone like that in my home anyway.

• siy
    siy

sounds to me like she wanted them out of there, good way to clear the room!

now maybe now she can get the time she needs with the little one!!..

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

This is a subject for liberation!

Let it be made into a platform demonstration so that all can see the most respectable way to expose a breast for consumption of the contents therein and that swollen nipples are a gift of life!

It could even be made into a study article so everyone knew the diversity of nipples on the female form and the general range of each type in the congregation.

Truly life giving food at the proper time!

My only reservation is that women may demand equal rights and expose the mens insecurities!

Maybe this is where the PO saw it was leading to down the line?

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

The thing is the P.O. has done something like this before.

He told a brother that he could not watch football (soccer) after the group as it was time for christian association. Once again telling somone what they can or cannot do in there own home. The reality was the P.O. hated football.

Perhaps he hates breasts!!! Surely not!!!

When I took a group I used to put the football on, nobody cared. And I would not dream of telling someone what to do in there own homes.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

In the congregations I've been in football was considered a violent sport (well, except when I lived in TX, lol) and was frowned upon. Frowned up, yet Super Bowl Sunday was always empty at the hall. But it certainly wouldn't have been allowed after a bookstudy unless everyone was gone. I grew up watching and playing hockey- so obviously I didn't think football was that violent, but this is what I was told.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit