Are you happy with the name you were given at birth?

by Outaservice 58 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am the oldest son, but have a younger brother who carries my dad's name.
    I am in the same profession Dad retired from. My younger brother knows
    most everyone in the business.
    I can see that I am more of my own person with that crowd, not in Dad's shadow.

I am happy for an original (and ordinary) name, and glad I didn't get my brother's name.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I guess I'm happy with my name, never really gave it much thought about what I'd rather have. So few people actually call me by my first name anyways. Most call me "J" and now my friends I've made from here call me BB, even my hubby calls me that lol

Kind of a funny story from when I was a kid. My mother died when I was 3. I never knew where my parents got my name from (my father didn't really like to talk about my mother - I think he thought it would upset my step mom, and she never encourage talk about her either). When I was a kid I'd often wonder what made them pick my name. My dad had a cleaning business, he was a "Janet"or. I thought that's where my name came from! LOL

I found out from a friend's mom (my friend was 6 months older than me and had the same name) that my mother, when she was pregnant with me, and after she had had her baby and named her Janet, told her she loved the name so much, would she be upset if I was a girl and named her Janet as well. So, that's how I got my name.

BB

• knock knock
    knock knock

I suppose though that anything is better than "Moon Unit" or "Dweezil".

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've had enough time to get used to it. No point in changing it now.

W

• yumbby
    yumbby

I've always hated my name "Shantelle" no one pronounces it right and they all think I was named after Chantilly Lace, which I wasn't. I need a fun, funky, name. Like Sam, or Marti, or something pretty like Lauren. I kinda feel sorry for my brother as well. His name is "Cannon".

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I've always hated my name "Shantelle" no one pronounces it right and they all think I was named after Chantilly Lace, which I wasn't.

I hear you. My name's "Walter" and I can't count the number of times I've been called "Walker" and even "Roger".

W

• mouthy
    mouthy

Used to hate it.... Then I joined the cult of JWs.They taught me it meant "UNDESERVED KINDNESS"
    So of course I love it.... I am sure the " Big Wigs "in Brooklyn Bethel... Are so happy to know what they teach has to be kept too.

So please note...Grace means "UNDESERVED KINDNESS!!! "

To the Brooklyn Bethel Brothers >Thank You...I will do my best to keep on speaking on Radio, T.V, Books, Videos, Letting the "WORLD" KNOW The Watchtower is a CULT!!!!

• dinah
    dinah

Grace, I love your name!! It fits you.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It's the onlything my parents did right!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I hated it growing up. Hated the way my mother yelled it at me. Hated it when my father wanted to abuse me

I tried to change it to my middel name when I was 10 but that didn't work.

But by the time I was 35, getting a divorce and leaving the JWs and going back to school I was primed for a name change. So I shortened it to Lee. I legally had ir changed in 2001.

I could not be happier with my name now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit