Are you happy with the name you were given at birth?

by Outaservice 58 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    NO! I hate my name. I always have to spell it. And more than once I have been told I am "the wrong color" for my name. I was named after an African American girl my mom used to babysit.

My grandkids all have names that other Black folks consider too "White."

Shaquanda? Or Lakisha?

J/K

ROFL.

Sure would be unhappy if the baby was the wrong colour though!

Some names just don't look good on black folks!

R Crusoe, you have some serious issues, my good man.

Sylvia

• DJK
    DJK

NOPE

I want a really old fashioned feminine name. Gabrielle, Catherine, Elizabeth, Gwendolyn, Angelina...

or a hippie name like Saffron or Paisley.

What I got was Robin. Nickname in grade school was Batman. Nickname in Jr. High was Rockin' Robin.

A+W, I've seen your pic. I might name you Angel but the only people I have heard of with the name Angel were spanish males. Angelina would be great and I like Robin too.

• Cc81
    Cc81

when i was a kid i hated my name. but that is only because it was VERY common at the time. Everyone born between 1975-83 had my name!! growing up in school there were always 8 other girls in class with my name! As a adult i do like it. it fits me.. but i still know several other girls with the name!

• Cc81
    Cc81

ohh not to mention... In the kingdom hall i went to when i was a kid... there were 10 girls.. yes 10 girls in the hall with the name : )

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Snowbird,

The humour is maybe lost?

Some ancient covens useda let a woman sleep with the whole selection of males in ceremony of life under the moon knowing she would conceive!

Now if different coloured males were present that would be suspense don't you think?

And the name would be a cause for some debate!

And the whole coven cared for the young - everyone is responsible!

A eutopian idea and I think rather lovely in some ways!

Did you say I have issues?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird,

The humour is maybe lost?

Yes, somewhere in translation.

Did you say I have issues?

Yep. Of course, it may be the hot flashes that are plaguing me lately.

Sylvia

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I recall I had issues with my birth name after hearing I was named after a dead uncle and also didnt like the way mum always said my name but theres nothing I dont understand about that these days!

I was just doing as I wilt and harming none Sylvia!

Hope I included at least one smile in your reactions at some point?

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I love love love my name! I think it is perfect! People have always said how lovely it is too. I love both my first and middle names, and I have grown to love my surname. I used to think as a kid that my last name was dull, but it's not, it's great! If I married a man whose last name I liked I would gladly take his, but if I hated his last name it would be hard to give mine up that I really do love.

I have always felt fortunate that my parents knew how to pick out such good names. My siblings and I all have great names.

P.S. My real name isn't Rachel, but I can't post what my real name is. At first this thread confused me, because I couldn't tell if we were talking about our screen names or our real names. I thought we were talking about our real names, but then some posts were about people's screen names.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hope I included at least one smile in your reactions at some point?

But, of course!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit