Are you happy with the name you were given at birth?

by Outaservice 58 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It was a good name until everyone started naming their daughters Heather. I wonder what it would have been like if I had been named Maxine and called Max for short.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It was a good name until everyone started naming their daughters Heather. I wonder what it would have been like if I had been named Maxine and called Max for short.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I love my first name and my middle name. They are good, old-fashioned family names and I like the history that comes with them. What I can't stand is my surname. My maiden name was fine but my married name may as well be "thump" for as blah as it is.

In order to piss me off, my family calls me "Sue." Because, when I was little, Johnny Cash had a song called "A Boy Named Sue." My siblings used to yell a line of it at me, "My name is Sue, how do you do!" For some reason, it upset me. So, the family calls me Sue but nobody else can get by with it. Fortunately, I'm rarely around family.

Re: Harmony, I once worked with a woman who told me her daughter's name was Harmony. I said, "Oh, yeah, on Elton John's Yellow Brick Road album, there was a song named Harmony." She said I was the only person she'd ever met who knew that and, yes, her daughter was named after that song.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I didn't like it as a kid at ALL. I always wished to be called Summer... not sure why. As an adult, I've grown accustomed to it. I do still like my middle name better, but I learned as a kid you simply can't change it. lol.

Two of my kids love their names, but the one who is my mini me also dislikes hers. I suppose it is in our nature somehow not to like how someone else defines us. lol.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    I would love to have the name Rhiannon. It is a Welsh name and I think it is beautiful.

Ah! me too- mostly because I love the Fleetwood Mac song.
    Otherwise I don't mind my name although no one ever pronounces it correctly.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I love my name and I love it's meaning: War / Fame - Something about being a warrior - really cool. Another fun translation that came up: Phwoooorrrrrrrrrr, Boing Boing Boing. Beyond beautiful, Louise is the bomb, very intelligent and attractive and her best quality is she doesnt know it.

My name also goes wonderfully with my surname - they just fit - and I don't want to change it for the world.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

FHN:

I wonder what it would have been like if I had been named Maxine and called Max for short

My kitten I got from the shelter is named Maxine I dont think it is such a good cat name....I didnt even think to call her Max... mostly I just call her Miss Kitty.... or if she is being esp bad....Stupid... LOL It doesn't matter...she doesn't answer to anything unless she wants to answer.

My names... I guess my first name is OK.. I was named after my dad. My two middle names are after my grandfathers.... I never use my second middle name unless for legal reasons (passport).. most people mispronounce it when they hear it and it sounds like a girls name unless pronounced properly.... very European.... I hid it completely in school...kids are so cruel...

Snakes ()

• dinah
    dinah

Hey Snakes, my kittie is named Max. I rarely ever call my pets by the name I give them. Even my pets get nicknames, so I call him Mr. Pusterpants most of the time. He's a pretty boy.

Didn't that kitten kinda pick you out to be his human?

Heather, you don't strike me as a Maxine. I love the name Heather, it very pretty.

• snowbird
    snowbird

My name is Sylvia and I've always loved it.

I was told the midwife who assisted in my delivery was named Sylvia - she wanted me to have her name and my parents complied with her wishes.

It means lady of the woods or something like that. I love being in the woods.

I was teased a lot when the song, Sylvia's Mother Said, came out in the early 70's.

Sylvia

• free2think
    free2think

I love my name, i think my parents made a great choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit