What Homophobia REALLY means.

by darkuncle29 82 Replies latest jw friends

• real one
    real one

shamus you will eat those words..maybe even one day you will eat rotten lemons tell us all about it

• shamus100
    shamus100

LMAO

• Forscher
    Forscher
    What, according to you, is "traditional morality"?

That morality which has been accepted by our Western Judeo-Christian civilization for millenia. That is sex only within marriage between a man and a woman who are committed to each other for lifeas the ideal. Our Western civilization isn't the only one which followed that standard of morality, nor the only one to start descending into chaos after departing from it.

Also, what makes "traditional morality" superior or desirable?

Well, I think historical experience demonstrates its desirability for a society. Civilizations which followed it prospered, those who didn't fell by the wayside. By the way, the same question can and should be asked of the morality you are defending Sirona.

Moving away from bigotry is walking in the right direction

I agree. Unfortunately the attitude implied in you next statement is itself a form of bigotry

....presumably away from these so called traditions.

On this you and I obviously disagree Sirona. Calling my view bigotry just makes my case from my first post for me Sirona.

Respectfully,

Forscher

• ninja
    ninja

bloody hell its like brokeback mountain in here.........just kidding gay dudes.....chase me...........he he......da ninja

• jstalin
    jstalin
    That morality which has been accepted by our Western Judeo-Christian civilization for millenia.

Wasn't slavery part of that morality until about 150 years ago? Just because a tradition or value is ancient, it doesn't make it right today. Morality and values change. Interracial marriage used to be taboo. Women being second class citizens was pretty much the standard until the last 100 years or so. I agree that certain cultural values are important to pass on (such as respect for rule of law and your fellow man), but some cultural value must be changed because they are focused on false assumptions (inferiority of other races, inferiority of women). The "evil" of being gay is fundamentally no different than the changed attitudes toward women, minorities, etc. The bible endorses slavery and virtual subordination of women. Why ignore those facts and cling so strongly to the internalized hated of gays?

Times change and so do values. With time, those who hate someone because of their sexual orientation will fade away too.

• BFD
    BFD

Handsome *and* smart. All the good ones are taken. *sigh*

BFD

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    I believe real one may be a she, not sure why though, nothing in particular, just a hunch.

I think ro is really rosalee

nj

Hey BFD - how are ya honey

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Billy, don't be scared, I'll hold your hand. Don't feel bad about your man-crush on jstalin, he has a bewildering beauty. I myself have sort of a girl crush on Leolaia, she's so smart, it just warps my mind.

Ninja, I'll chase you, you evil from the future bunny. If you want to stop and put on your cowboy hat first that's no problem.

Ver- I used to do that alot, but much less now: denigrate the femmy guys. I flame to be funny or show off, but rarely as that is not my natural mode. I've actually been harassed before for not acting gay enough. There's that word though: acting. If by acting we mean behavior, I try to just be my natural self. I do not apologise howeverr for pointing out childish imature destructive behaviors when I see them, mostly I just ignore those people.

realone. Your god is to be mocked. Kermit the Frog with a beard is more real than your concept of gawd. I don't hate people like you, I feel great pain and empathy for people like you. I was once you. I can not go back in time to help my younger self, but I can help those in the now who are like how I was. There is a precious nugget in the words of Jesus, but the rest of the babble is ossified dead words, and we are all trying to move on to something better, something living.

Morality, and laws and rules are for people who do not know how to naturally behave in kind, loving, human ways. They can give such people a framework, but it can not change or teach them to be better people. We have to choose to do that on our own.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"TRADITIONAL MORALITY" also includes :

Killing the babies of non jews who want to live in the Levant.

Killing people who don't want to worship a stone age death god.

Killing children for being cheeky.

Killing people for seeing utensils of worship.

Killing people for counting the population.

Killing people who believe in other superstitions than the Jews.

Killing people for eating honey.

Killing people and chopping off their penis to buy a wife.

Killing people for falling in love with the wrong person.

Traditional morality SUCKS.

Just as most of us would not agree with Pauls views on slavery and the role of women, I think the other aspects of traditional "morality" are gradually dying out.

HB

• Sirona
    Sirona
    Well, I think historical experience demonstrates its desirability for a society. Civilizations which followed it prospered, those who didn't fell by the wayside. By the way, the same question can and should be asked of the morality you are defending Sirona.

History is littered with evidence of countless atrocities performed by Christians and by extension, Christian societies. I realise that atrocities have been committed by those of other faiths, but since you want to assert the Judeo/Christian way is morally superior or desirable, I thought I'd simply point out that fact.

Also, this world currently contains a very large number of societies / cultures who are not Judeo/Christian and some of these can certainly be said to exist with just as much success as those who fall into your category.

Remember that Christianity has only been around for some 2000 years of the entire history of mankind. A hugely successful culture who lasted for twice that long was the ancient Egyptians.

Christians, or Jews for that matter, simply do not have the moral high-ground.

I agree. Unfortunately the attitude implied in you next statement is itself a form of bigotry

I will concede on this point and apologise.

However, you simply have no proof that a society without homosexuality is a better or more successful society.

Conversely, there are strong indications that the world would be a better place if people are less bigoted and more accepting. Of course we need to draw a moral line to prevent anarchy. If we ensure that laws are upheld and individuals do not hurt others, what goes on in someones bedroom needn't be an issue.

Regards,

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit