Who is God?

by real one 72 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..If there is a God..He`s not doing a very good job..If he was working any place else..He would have been fired a long time ago!............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

"God is silent. Now if we could only get people to shut up." - Woody Allen

"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen

"I was kicked out of college for cheating on a metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sittiing next to me." - Woody Allen

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think He's evil. But the worst that could be said of him is that he is an underachiever." - Woody Allen

"I don't intend to attain immortality through a lot of effort. I intend to achieve it through not dying" - Woody Allen

"I tended to put my ex-wife under a pedestal." - Woody Allen

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

"I am at two with the Universe." - Woody Allen

"If only God would give me a clear sign! Like putting a large deposit in my name into a Swiss bank" - Woody Allen

• real one
    real one

I do appreciate most of the responses to this thread. My purpose for asking was to see if God was made out to be what we want him to be. One of the reasons I was with the cult was because of a scripture I was shown which said something to the effect that people were burning their children sacrificing them to some god and that Jehovah had not approved of this. Im sure you know the scripture. This is one of the many misleading ideas I received. This made me feel that there was no hell, because how could a loving caring God burn people He cerated? Well I have come to realize that God is not what I want him to be. He is who He is. We may not understand how he operates but this does not make him any less God.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

RealOne..If God..Is who he is..And..Thats all who he is..He`s "Popeye the Sailorman"!!.....LOL!!..............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

The god you and I used to call 'God'...I now call an a$$

My sweet wife occasionly thinks I'm an A$$...other times...I'm a god. As in, "Ohh...My God !!!

See ? 'Godz' are invented by men...and women.

Rabbit

• atypical
    atypical

Which god?

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Godz-illa

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    God is not what I want him to be. He is who He is

BINGO!!!!

That's what the name 'Yahweh' means. However a rabbi once wrote that it can also mean any other rendition of the 1st person singular of the verb 'to be' - eg I was who I was, I might be who I might be, I will become who I will become... and so on. The rabbi said that this was, in ancient Hebrew terms, a polite way of saying 'Mind your own business!'/'That's not your problem'/you don't need to know'.

To reveal your name to someone back then, was to give them some power over you or in a way, reduce your 'authority' - think how differently you behave towards a very good friend and towards somebody you don't know personally, you give the latter a different kind of respect because you don't fully know who they are or what authority they have - so we have that 'unknowable' element with God too, but again as you said:

We may not understand how he operates but this does not make him any less God.
  • JAVA
    JAVA

Greetings Trevor -- It's nice see you pop in and out, too.

Some on the forum might not know that Trevor wrote an interesting book, "Opening the Door to Jehovah's Witnesses." I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it was published in the UK in 2001. Trevor doesn't toot his horn about this; but that's not going to stop me from doing it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit