Who would be interested in a JWD book club?

by TheSilence 40 Replies latest social entertainment

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Stones From The River

A Handmaiden's Tale

Hi, A&W, and happy birthday!!! Do you have authors for those books, please?

Thanks,

Jackie

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Sorry Jackie - got one of the titles wrong.

A Handmaid's Tale - by Margaret Atwood

Stones From The River - by Ursula Hegi

Thanks for the birthday wishes by the way!

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

They've been added.

Thanks!

Anyone else?

Jackie

• tinker
    tinker

I would love to join. I have been looking for a local book club too. I am a slow reader so once a month would be good. I have been reading the classics the past few years. Mark Twain, Lewis Carrol, Jane Austine. And I sometimes read the current Oprah selection. Just finished Pillars of the Earth. I did not care for it until the second half, then could not put it down.

And I do have the Poe short stories. Costco sometimes has the nicely bound classic books at a very good price. Don't you love a beautifully bound book.

A book I have owned for years and not read, Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. The person who gave it to me said it's the best story he's ever read. It would be fun it hear other impressions.

I agree, no 'worthy' books please. And I do plenty of self help for self help sake so lets don't go there.

• crashfire451
    crashfire451

I'd be very interested, reading by the fire with a good cognac at hand is a passion of mine. Unfortunately, everyone would first need to read all of Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, Ayn Rand, and Kant first. Kant's a bitch to get through, but the others are just really fun reads.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and
    pass, leaving memories that become legend.
    Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long
    forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes
    again.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Mark Twain, Lewis Carrol, Jane Austine. And I sometimes read the current Oprah selection. Just finished Pillars of the Earth. I did not care for it until the second half, then could not put it down.

If you can give me specific names and titles of what you would recommend from the above I will be happy to add them to the list.

And I do have the Poe short stories. Costco sometimes has the nicely bound classic books at a very good price. Don't you love a beautifully bound book.

I do, but I tend to read my favorites over and over and over again in order to not bankrupt myself by buying books. So, I tend to be rather hard on books and therefore a nicely bound book is usually a foolish option for me unless I'm going to just keep it and read another copy of it ;)

A book I have owned for years and not read, Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. The person who gave it to me said it's the best story he's ever read. It would be fun it hear other impressions.

I've added it to the list.

Thanks,

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Unfortunately, everyone would first need to read all of Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, Ayn Rand, and Kant first. Kant's a bitch to get through, but the others are just really fun reads.

Give me some titles to go with these authors and I'll add them to the list. Personally, I'm not a big Dean Koontz fan, all his stories follow the same plot line in my mind, at least those I've read. But put his best ones on the list and maybe when they come up you'll change my mind ;)

Jackie

• tinker
    tinker

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

Nancy Peral does a recommend reading list on NPR, Under the radar books. I always love her reviews. She said Cold Comfort is LOL satirically funny. I could use a FUNNY Book in these last dark days of winter. If I read it before we start the BC, I will share my impressions.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

Added.

Thanks,

Jackie

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I would like to join in; and I would like to propose:

Behind The Scenes At The Museum - Kate Atkinson

Share this

Google+