Who would be interested in a JWD book club?

by TheSilence 40 Replies latest social entertainment

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I've been thinking about organizing a JWD book club. Would anyone be interested? Everyone could throw out suggestions of books and I could pick one at random for each read.

I was thinking a book every 2 weeks, but I know a lot of people have kids and obligations so maybe every month would be better? What do you think?

I think the nice thing about doing a book club on a larger discussion forum like this is that if there's a book you're not really enjoying there would still be enough other people who have read it to have a stimulating discussion without you feeling as though you're letting the book club down. Also, since we have some similar ties some parts of books may resonate with us that we can discuss amongst ourselves that may not make sense to others... for instance, in The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel, I can relate to a girl growing up in a very male dominated society that feels foreign and alien to her.

Here's how it would basically work. I would post a thread for the current book when discussion for it opened. In the opening post I might post some topics for conversation just to get the ball rolling, but it would be an open discussion format and would not have to follow those topics at all. At the end of the post I would announce the title of the next book so people would have time to read it before the next discussion thread goes up.

So, if you are interested in participating these are the things I would like to hear from you:

1. What book suggestions would you like to make (please include title and author).
    2. How often would you like to discuss a new book? Every 2 weeks? Every month? Some other amount of time?
    3. Any other thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

Jackie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

That's a lovely idea. I'm not sure I could commit to read every book, especially as I have 6 on the go at the moment - the joys of insomnia.

I could definitely recommend The Road, by Connor McCarthy - but there's a thread on that one already!

I do wish there were more literature threads on here.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    I'm not sure I could commit to read every book

I think that is one of the benefits of trying to do this on a large discussion forum... people could pick and choose which books they wanted to or had time to read and hopefully we would still have enough participation from others to keep it alive and interesting.

I could definitely recommend The Road, by Connor McCarthy - but there's a thread on that one already!

That's okay if there's already a thread about it. I can still add it to the list (if I get enough participation) of books... since they would be chosen at random who knows when it would come up to be read ;)

Jackie

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I am so in. Excellent idea Jackie.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Crumpet... is this the book you're speaking of? I have the author as Cormac McCarthy... my embedded page seems to only work intermittently... hmmm...

• ninja
    ninja

hey robbity....you haven't finished coloring the last one in yet.....he he

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    I am so in. Excellent idea Jackie.

Awesome... any book suggestions or time frame ideas?

• llbh
    llbh

I think this is great idea Jackie count me in.

I love to exchange ideas on reading.

How about a raiting system as well?

Also a comments system?

Regards

Daivd

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    I love to exchange ideas on reading.

Wonderful! What books would you suggest?

How about a raiting system as well?

Hmm... how would you suggest it work?

Also a comments system?

Isn't that what the discussion thread for the book would be?

Also, how often do you think we should put up a discussion thread for a new book?

Thanks,

Jackie

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Depends on the amount of pages it contains. Sounds like a great idea. Sorta like the book of the month club.

Hope4Others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit