Who would be interested in a JWD book club?

by TheSilence 40 Replies latest social entertainment

• Tara
    Tara

I would love to participate. It's been so long since I've read a novel. I don't have any recommendations. I have been reading religious/spiritual stuff for the past year. I have just ordered Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss. I heard that was good, but it's not a novel.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think it is a great idea.

Right now I am reading Joy Castro's "Truth book" - interesting read so far

I know when I did the "Take Back your Life" (old title "Captive Hearts, Captive Minds") book there was a good response.

The frequency would have to depend on the size of the book and how in-depth you want to go.

You also would have to give enough warning for people to get the book. In the case of Take Back your Life I posted excerpts of the chapters because the new book had not been released yet.

I've also done some adaptations of books:

• Toxic Parents by Susan Forward reframed to "Toxic Parents/ Toxic Religion"
    • Emotional Blackmail by Susan Forward used to examine the JW form of blackmail
    • The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse
    • Addicted to Misery by Robert Becker
    • and a chapter in a book Child Sexual Abuse: Chapter 2: Sexual Abuse as a Moral Problem by David Finkelhor. It was interesting to compare Finkelhor's discussion of the issue of consent with the comparison how minors cannot truly (or legally) give consent for baptism

I think many books would be invaluable to discuss by people who have recently left. But even after years I can still learn more from the many different discussions here.

As for books to read: My personal preference would be any of the books about JWs, cults, recovery, biographies, or just about anything here The Best of... Books

• Scully
    Scully

I already belong to a book club, and I'm finding it difficult to keep up with the one book every 2 months plan that we have (it's mostly due to conflicting schedules and having a hard time setting up a meeting time), but here are some titles that we've read and that I've enjoyed:

The Secret Life of Bees - by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Glass Castle - by Jeannette Wall
    The Birth House - by Amy McKay
    Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures - by Vincent Lam
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter - by Kim Edwards
    The Kite Runner - by Khalid Hosseini

I also set up a group on Yahoo to correspond with book club members more easily, and take polls on what books to read, pass along reading guides etc. I use the Calendar feature to send reminders about meetings, book selections and so forth. It's a great tool for our purposes.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Revelation! It's Grand Climax At Hand!

Questions Young People Ask.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

hey robbity....you haven't finished coloring the last one in yet.....he he

Ninja - I finished my Disney Princesses and My Star Wars coloring books before Christmas!

• inkling
    inkling

hey, great idea. I would join.

[inkling]

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Okay, well how about we just throw it together and see how it goes then, eh? I think I will try to put this together monthly so that people have time to get the book and read it before the discussion thread for it goes up. Each month (if this continues) I will select a book at random from all the suggestions I've gotten. However, since we are already half-way through this month I'm going to make a selection which will help (I think) with the time crunch. So, for the first month we will be discussing Edgar Allen Poe's short stories. That way everyone can just read a few small stories if they like, or they can read them all if they have the time. A personal favorite of mine is Silence -- A Fable... however, pick and choose as you like.

I will post a thread to discuss on March 1 and at that time will also post the book for April. If you have any book suggestions please post them here or pm them to me and I will add them to the list to be chosen from. Please include both title and author.

Also, if you would like to read Poe's works online rather than going out for the book, the following site has links to his short stories on the left hand side:

http://www.online-literature.com/poe/

Thanks,

Jackie

• brinjen
    brinjen

What the hell, I'm in.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Hi, brin!

Oh, and for any who may have been dissuaded from joining in by Shamus' book selections... I have refrained from adding them to my list ;)

Jackie

• llbh
    llbh

i have just finished a Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaleed Hosseni as has Momz.

We both loved it it is the follow up to the Kite Runnerr Iam just abouut to start Nora Roberts Treasures

As for the rating system how about marks out ot ten followed by a brief comment os two?

So for me

Thousand Splendid Suns would be 10/10 - emotionally involving could not put down finished 3:30 am, you will cry and love it

Hows that?

Regards David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit