Who Do You Speak To More - God Or JWD Members?

by serotonin_wraith 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

If I thought there was a magnificent spiritual being who cared for me, I would pray every day, not just if I felt low and had no one else to talk to. We don't spend time with friends only when the going gets tough. We share the good as well as the bad. But for many, God is more of a shrink than a friend.

It's not very often I'll hear a believer leave a cinema talking to their friends about how great the movie was, then looking up and saying "I know our inferior entertainment methods must be primitive in your eyes, but I wish you could have experienced that the way we did. Thanks for the ability of sight and hearing, it helped. We're off for pizza now, I'll talk to you just before I start eating."

While it may be said God needs to be respected, I don't think talking to him as a friend would be disrespectful, and believers often say you can have a personal friendship with the Almighty too.

In normal day to day situations, I think it's fair to say most believers communicate with fellow humans than they do with God. Human interaction is needed to get by. So to narrow it right down, who do you speak to more - people on this forum, or your personal god? Where do you find your priorities lie?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

As a parent, I take joy in watching my kids faces as they're doing something that excites them. I don't need them to tell me that they've enjoyed an experience, I know they did. Do you really think that an all-knowing god would be any different?

Other then that, I'd get bored of one-sided conversations pretty quickly. As humans we need stimulation and two-way communication. That's how we got to where we are as a global society, not by saying words in our head to someone who may (or may not be) listening.

Kwin

• Maddie
    Maddie

Right now JWD

Maddie

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Yeah, perhaps people see it more as a parent/child relationship than a friendship, Kwin. While kids can grow up to have friendships with their parents, that's usually after they get to a more equal level. While children still, friendship comes more from friends than parents. There's still a barrier from true friendship with parents when you're a child.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    who do you speak to more - people on this forum, or your personal god?

I think the high number of posts shows that I speak to the forum more than to God.
    I never speak to God. I am mad at him right now for allowing a mind-control cult to
    snatch me up when I reached out to him. If he smites me for being mad and not
    speaking to him, then it just reinforces my belief that he isn't someone I want to
    worship.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I actually speak to my husband, children and family as well as my real life friends the most. God, well if he's up there he doesn't care much for me. He's been pretty non-existant for all of my 43 years. So the big sky daddy is not even a consideration in who I talk to.

From what I've been told from believers, he's more occupied with them then those that really need help and guidance. Like children who are being mistreated and abused, people who are really going through bad times that don't have a place to live, food to eat or warm clothes in the winter. But he always seems to be around for those that got a new job or managed to get a good health report from a doctor. Or like the girl that works with me, she found 20.00 in her coat pocket yesterday and immediately said that Jesus was really looking out for her because she had no money Or like my Jdub sister-in-law, thank Jehoober because she was able to get out of work in time to make it to the special talk

Thank you Jebus, Jehober or whomever is the current skydaddy for the little insignificant things you do for those who give you credit for everything and for those who really need help that you continue to ignore

nj

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Yeah, perhaps people see it more as a parent/child relationship than a friendship, Kwin. While kids can grow up to have friendships with their parents, that's usually after they get to a more equal level. While children still, friendship comes more from friends than parents. There's still a barrier from true friendship with parents when you're a child.

Yes, but there will always be more of a barrier with a god, as a god will never respond. And if he/she does ... you'll be locked up for being nuts.

Kwin

• 5go
    5go

I don't really care for one way conversations. So JWD members by far.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I think the high number of posts shows that I speak to the forum more than to God.
    I never speak to God. I am mad at him right now for allowing a mind-control cult to
    snatch me up when I reached out to him. If he smites me for being mad and not
    speaking to him, then it just reinforces my belief that he isn't someone I want to
    worship.

Something like that happened to my wife too. She was a seriously suicidal teen and a bible study with the JWs basically saved her.

Things happen for a reason I think. Even if we can't see all the ends.

Burn

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I've never met him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit