Partaking of the emblems at home - need thoughts/experiences please

by wildfell 58 Replies latest jw friends

• wildfell
    wildfell

My husband and I will be partaking at home this year. Could you please share your experiences or insights on how you partook at home? I have the wine and bread sorted. Just wondering how you went about it? I thought I would get some beautiful christian songs, light a few candles and get some frankinscence aromatherapy oil (they use this in some church services) just to create a respectful atmosphere. I last had communion in my early teens so can't even really remember how it was done in Church. This will be the first time ever partaking for my spouse who was born in.

Also, it is my opinion that partaking only once a year is a jw-ism. My husband is still considering this. I figure that millions of Christians over 2000 years can't have been wrong in partaking of the bread and wine every week at mass? In addition, Jesus did not give strict rules on how often this should be done. Would appreciate any thoughts on this please. Thanks in anticipation.

• tula
    tula

The WTS teaches you to disregard Jesus's request for remembrance.

Also, I think the JWs shun Jesus by turning their nose up when the cup passes.

Jesus said EVERYONE should partake.

The BOE dictate that you must be "worthy" and "annointed".

First of all, if you were annointed, you would not even be in there with that crowd!

And second of all, how "good" do you have to be?

Even JUDAS partook of the last supper.

He was first and was given it from Jesus's own hand.

My personal opinion, is that this is a group who does not give Jesus the recognition he deserves.

Jesus is trumped by the mythial FDS.

In newer WTS literature, Jesus is no longer worthy of a name but is simply referred to as "the Christ"; this is a position, much like "the janitor" or "the bagboy". It demotes Jesus to an insignificant player.

I think the WTS/ JW memorial is a direct insult to Jesus as he asked us all to do this in remembrance of him.

The WTS SHUNS JESUS.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

At the last supper, everyone "partook". Jesus never said that some should and some shouldn't. He never said how often it should be done. What the JWs do is exactly the opposite of what Jesus said they should do.

W

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

The first year that we were all out (2 years ago) we all got together and celebrated the memorial together. We all partook, which was a first for all of us since we were all born in. We all discussed the reasons that we knew that we should be partaking. It was a very nice celebration, it really felt like an evening meal that we all took together. We discussed Jesus' life and ministry and the hope that we all hope is there. We had three young children there and they all ate the bread and had a little sip of the wine. It was a very nice experience.

Last year, we were not all able to meet up for the memorial, so, we did a conference call. We shared scriptures, prayed and partook of the emblems. We turned the lights down at our home and lit some candles. Had the bread and the wine. It was also a nice time. None of the celebrations have been very formal and we all say our piece (even us girls).

We don't have anything planned yet this year but it has turned into a nice time to spend with the family.

Hopefully, you will get the enjoyment out of it that we all have. It feels right to be partaking. The witnesses really play down Jesus and his importance and the benefits that his blood gives to all of us, not just a chosen few.

Sheri

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

WildFell, this is a link to the ceremony as written and performed by my Bishop. I think it's gorgeous.

http://www.gnosticsanctuary.org/eucharist.html

(oh, and by the way, she always has the most wonderful resin incense.)

Cheers,
    Baba.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I've found that beer and pizza can serve essentially the same purpose.

• wildfell
    wildfell

Thanks guys for your responses.

Tula and Finally-Free, I couldn't agree more that in the org, Jesus is trumped by the FDS. It became a huge bug-bear of mine that I couldn't ignore in the end. Also, that Jesus did say that everyone who wants salvation HAS to partake. He didn't lay down any more requirements. The society is denying people salvation by not allowing them to partake, in my opinion.

Lo-ru-hamah, I read your post to my hubby and he thinks that sounds great. Also, even you girls contributed? How radical!! lol We will integrate some of those things into our memorial evening for sure.

BabaYaga and keyser soze thanks for the suggestions. The beer and pizza sounds good for after!

kind regards

wildfell

• takethat
    takethat

Last year was the first year I hadn't attended the memorial. I wasn't even invited. So on the morning after (still Nisan 14) I quietly went and sat on my garden bench just to reflect on what Jesus had done for me. I took a glass of wine and bread and ate and drank as he had asked us too.

It did feel a bit strange but it also felt right. By partaking I was finally doing what what the bible said.

I really don't think it matters how often you do this. Didn't Jesus say "KEEP doing this in remembrance of me"? He didn't add, "Just once a year, on passover". He didn't make a rule about it. So remember as often as you wish.

have a good one

xx

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The Memorial, when done correctly, can be a spiritual experience for everyone. For starters, I do not remember anywhere in the Bible that said that it has to be at the Kingdumb Hell or that there has to be a boring 45 minute talk before it. In fact, it is best done in small groups (say, about a dozen people). Families might in fact observe it at home together, and everyone partakes (in case anyone is worried about children and alcohol, unfermented grape juice may be substituted since it's the grape juice and not the alcohol that makes the celebration, and it's really the thought of observing it that makes the experience).

The Watchtower gets it totally wrong. First, they are not supposed to be in groups approaching 200 in size. If anyone does partake, everyone would need to be able to observe it. And when they have more than one huge room, not everyone is going to see. In fact, those near the front would not be able to see the apostate in the back eating all the stale crackers or drinking all the wine.

Second, they do not allow most people to partake without feeling unworthy. This is blatantly wrong. It was meant for everyone present to partake. What they meant by partaking unworthily had more to do with hogging the whole meal, or perhaps doing so in such a way as to totally distract from the intended purpose. Which to me would be quite difficult to do, since if Judas Iscariot (who betrayed Jesus) partook, I would have a hard time finding out who would not be worthy of partaking. All who observe the event are supposed to partake.

And there is not supposed to be a boring 45 minute talk before the main event. They are supposed to get everyone together (and there should be a small group, 12 being a good estimate of the limit) for a quiet event. They say a prayer and then observe the event. It should last about 15 to 20 minutes, since it is a simple event.

How often? Most churches do it every week. There is no blatant indication in the Bible as to how often one does this--one does it as often as one does it, which provides absolutely no guidelines. Some people might do it yearly. Others might prefer weekly. Still others might find it better to do it on special occasions, such as for Easter or Christmas. One might observe a child's baptism or confirmation this way, or the day they officially disassociated from the witlesses, as a marker to decide when to observe this. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that people are obligated to observe it on Nisan 14 and no other time of year.

Another mistake they commit is having everyone pioneer during the surrounding months. Observing the Last Supper should be a semi-private event, and there is no need to hound people to pioneer during March, April, and May because of it. The event itself should be the spiritual event, not going out in field circus all season long. There is no season for this observation, since different people or groups might prefer to observe it at different times. Or, there is the option of not doing it at all--the Bible only stated "As often as you observe this", and if you do not observe it, you are not obligated to.

I will not be walking into the Kingdumb Hell that night. I have no use for anything that makes what could have been a spiritual event into an opportunity to hound those who are irregular or to drive more people in. I suggest that it is better to observe this in family groups or in gatherings around 10-12 people in lieu of going to the Kingdumb Hell. That way, it will be that much more special and less a sales/hounding pitch.

And, Happy Easter.

• wildfell
    wildfell

Hi takethat, I feel really touched by the beautiful way you marked the memorial. Simple and dignified, the way it was meant to be. Jesus' favourite place to go to pray was also a garden, wasn't it? And Adam and Eve were married by God in a garden. So what better place than a garden to remember Christ's sacrifice and partake of the break and wine! I have also often gone to beautiful gardens to pray. For some reason, when I am surounded by the beauty of nature I feel closer to God.

I agree with the point you made to partake as often as we wish. I am looking forward to our private memorial evening, but wondering whether it will feel strange for me too? I think it definately will for my husband. But I know it will feel good that we will be obeying Christ.

WTWizard, I have seen first-hand how they wield the whole "unworthy" thing. They have also written in the watchtower that some partake because of mental health issues, not because they are actually called by God! How rude is that?! The other thing they warn against is that people who partake "unworthily" will be eating and drinking to their death. Scare tactics and insinuating mental illness. . . I believe that is how they will try and keep the numbers of partakers at their memorials down, even with the 1935 thing lifted. Just doing what they have always done.

kind regards

wildfell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit