Danish film, "Worlds Apart," (about JW girl) reviewed by XJW author

by AndersonsInfo 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

Is shunning an act of kindness so that "sinners" will experience the profound loss of God's favor and want to repent and rejoin the flock?

I must admit that I used to think it was.

If after a sufficient time the "sinner" does not return to the flock, then "kindness" begins to be seen as it honestly is: punishment, sometimes for the rest of your life. If there is "repentance," perhaps it is forced so that the person does not lose all those whom he loves.

Then it negates the scripture, "Love never fails."

The profound loss is theirs.

• besty
    besty

has anybody found a torrent for this?

• Dagney
    Dagney

What channel was it on? I have Dish, not Comcast, but worth a looksee.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I watched it this morning on Comcast ONDEMAND. It's required viewing for everyone on this board.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I watched it on OnDemand a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. I hope someone makes a north american version of it.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

We watched it "On Demand" Friday night. Very good...

Coffee

• Amyfa
  • sweet pea
    sweet pea

Just watched this last night. Brillian film. Very poignant. Many familiar feelings.

Made me wonder what a practicing JW would make of it.

The disfellowshipping/shunning is cruel, insane and unnacceptable regardless of the reasoning behind the practice.

I hope this film will make a difference to someone out there.....

Anyone else seen it recently?

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Going to look on Comcast.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I just watched this film, which a dear friend of mine sent to me some months ago. I wish I would have watched it sooner. It's so wonderfully done.

Besides a few very minor details it was incredibly accurate and like Sweet Pea pointed out poignant.

The elders meeting was tame compared to what my elders asked me, though I thought the actors got the creepy, leering looks down pat.

I loved the conversation between the father and daughter at the end; what Sara said to her dad was priceless. For those who have not seen it I won't spoil it for you, but go watch it, already!

The older brother's shunning was so heart-wrenching. I really hope that lots and lots of people see this film!

Rachel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit