Getting the forum back on track

by Simon 147 Replies latest forum announcements

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Um, is the forum officially back on track now? How do we know? Will there be more "new light" soon? It is going to be within this generation? What exactly is a "Generation"?

• caliber
    caliber

It's not always about what you say, sometimes it about what you don't say ! The nature of your argument speaks volumes ! What is your spirit about ?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Caliber,

It's not always about what you say, sometimes it about what you don't say ! The nature of your argument speaks volumes ! What is your spirit about ?

What you do not write on a written discussion Board does not exist!

The nature of my argument speaks of truth and logic. If you disagree with this, you are more than welcome to rebut my post point by point - that is the joy of freedom of expression Caliber. Now, you have suggested in your note that my 'spirit' and 'argument' fall far short of what you feel is worthy. Should I take this as an 'attack' and 'observation' or a display of ignorance? Either way, you have been rude to me and I am now going to cry like a baby. HS
  • quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

pics please

• caliber
    caliber

Your statement was "What is not written on the statement board does not exist" therefore seeing your name is not mentioned on the board my

so called comments about you do not exist. Sometimes our subconscious speaks to us.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Laser:

Funny how quoting something said years ago is taken as going out of context, which I agree it is. But isn't that what this forum is all about, quoting the WTS for things that happened years and years back.

A discussion board isn't going to have the same consequences of not accepting medical treatment, being shunned, or trapped in abusive relationships. A discussion board isn't going to presume to tell people the status of their relationship with God. There's a somehwat different impact here, yes?

Hillary:

has by default already been reading the Board. They know what to expect when they start posting.

Nope. My bad. I jumped in with both feet as soon as I found the board. And I disagree with your premise that this discussion board is a place where abusive behavior is fine and dandy - as with any community, standards of conduct will be come into play. Those standards will come from both the community (through implicit or explicit negotiation and choices of participation levels) and from the moderators. I reject your seeming "no holds barred" attitude.

PS - you say "Nobody has argued" that "rude is cool or in some way benefical", yet Burn has done that very thing - he relates that he is motivated by rude comments, as below (unless this is sarcasm and it is escaping me).

Burn:

I find that getting flamed convinces me more of the correctness of the other's argument than any logical argumentation. No one ever called me an idiot in the Watchtower so I left. Now I am free to be recieve the kind of offense that can only lead to personal growth.

That's fine for you, and I will never be able to teach you anything (not that you want to be my student!). You may have noticed that you appear to be in a minority, however. I, for one, find it difficult to hear anything you have to say because I have to also contend with what I find abusive and threatening ("Screw you", name calling, inferences that you'd be happy to shoot people that disagree with you). Maybe this is sarcasm on your part, but from what little I know of you from your posts, it's scary that the sarcasm is lost and that this is exactly the persona being generated. I offer this as feedback on your impact, not as an indictment of who you are - I don't know you. The more I read your posts, the less I want to read more.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Farkel said to Simon:
    ::You butchered the Queen's English with that paragraph, Simon.....I won't suck up to you... ::

FARKEL WOULD NORMALLY CALL SOMEONE WHO BUTCHERED THE QUEEN'S ENGLISH A "TWIT" AND GO ON A DIATRIBE ABOUT HOW STUPID THEY ARE. SO EITHER HE IS SUCKING UP OR THE FORUM MUST TRULY BE BACK ON TRACK! (big toothy grin emoticon)

• fifi40
    fifi40

Void Eater

Can you just clarify to me where it is that HS spoke of 'abusive' behaviour in the form of written word to be ok to use on threads..........I am struggling to find it..............I did note he used the term 'combative', which in the context it was written I took to mean that it was healthy for some to have their opinions challenged and could for some cause them to think and examine their thoughts and thinking process.

Fi

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Apparently sarcasm is wasted here.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

After reading all these points what strikes me as most needed is BALANCE! This is not a black and white, all or nothing, right or wrong issue, as all issues were when we were JW's. Now that we are in the "real world", we can acknowledge all the shades of grey in between.

I agree with what Hillary said, that this is a discussion board and while the connections here do provide some sort of emotional support to many, to rely on it for sole psychological support in coping with serious problems is akin to going to the elders for counseling. You get what you pay for!

Generally, the people here maintain a respectful tone. However, now and then you get someone acting/posting like an ignorant jackass. When that happens, you can be sure that dozens of posters will rush in and call that person on it and say, "You are an ignorant jackass!" Whether newbie or oldie, it makes no difference. Is that abusive? Perhaps that is just being tried in the court of public opinion. If we all agreed on everything all the time, then there would be nothing to discuss would there?

I have actually learned something valuable from every one of the flame wars on this site. Mostly about group dynamics and how to get my point across in a logical way. If someone jumps all over a newbie and then a bunch of other posters jump in to tell that poster they are out of line and behaving like a paranoid ass, maybe that's a good thing. If someone obviously lies, and someone calls them on it, maybe that is a good thing too. If someone posts on a polictical, scientific, or religious thread, and they are ignorant or misinformed of the facts or their logic is fallacious, perhaps it is a good thing when other posters tell them, "you are ignorant and your logic is ridiculous and here is why!" How else do we grow in knowledge, wisdom and maturity? If it degenerates into nothing more than name-calling and no valid points are being discussed any longer than the mods can lock er down and send everyone to their rooms.

It's all good.

Cog

ps: I really like the idea of punishing posters by sending them to virutual stockades and having rotten tomatoes thrown at them (or virtual spankings?). The mods can form their own little judicial committee of 3 to decide who gets put in there and when they get out. It'll be like having our own little disfellowshipping system right on the board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit