new BS assignment, new threats.

by inkling 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inkling
    inkling

Ok, so after about 2 months of straight absence from my bookstudy, the elders shuffled me off
    to a new one. Apparently my current (actually quite kind, if a bit clueless) BS overseer was
    not being enough of a nazi.

My newly assigned BS has a (aforementioned in another post) dimwitted, socially obtuse, and
    very conservative elder as overseer. This conversation happened at a recent meeting:

Him: "You are assigned to our book study. Did you know that"

Me: "yeah, I was told"

Him: "were you here last Thursday? The local needs?"

Me: "uhhh..."

Him: "Well from now on, if you are not there Thursday nights, We will be calling you.
    You know, to find out whats wrong. And so you can tell us how to help you."

This really annoyed me, was blatantly threatening, and felt very invasive. I'm just not sure what to do about it.

[inkling]

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

ohhh yes the "How we can help you" speech I have been getting that one alot lately. I think the elders are trying to sort out the faders from the just over worked believers.

• bisous
    bisous

I don't know your *story*, but my general reaction is ... if you are continuing to play their game, they will continue to impose their rules. If there is a reason for you to be there (family, etc,) you'll have to pay the price or decide if it is too high for whatever other benefit you are trying to obtain.

• inkling
    inkling
    if you are continuing to play their game, they will continue to impose their rules.

Good point. First off, I am going to call his bluff... I'm not convinced he will actually go though and call.

If he keeps pushing the issue, I might have to try some truthiness:

"Listen. The reason I don't come to the book study is becuase when you pick up the revelation book and start to talk, it makes me want to smash a garden gnome upside your head."

Ok, maybe not THAT much truthiness.

[ink]

• bisous
    bisous

HA! I can't stand those garden gnomes either; they should ALL be smashed and what better place ..... *smile*

• KenseiShimonzu
    KenseiShimonzu

Lmao..Ink you should have told them like i used to.."Nah..that won't be necessary..if you don't see me here,it's probably cause i didn't feel like coming,so it's probably not going to be a good idea to call me..you can just wait till the next time you see me here to talk"..when you say it,you have to say it like "Lumberg" from Office Space for full effect:P-KS

• JK666
    JK666

I would tell him that he stumbled you with his rude comment, and that you'll never go to that book study, ever!

JK

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Him: "Well from now on, if you are not there Thursday nights, We will be calling you.
    You know, to find out whats wrong. And so you can tell us how to help you."

Give him some project to actually make him work.

"I was not there THIS TIME because I am short on funds to pay the monthly bills.
    I was working. In order to free up time for the BS, I could work on weekends, but
    then I would need you to cut my grass and do my laundry and shovel my snow and
    paint the fence."

"I was miles away with no way to get there. If you like, when I am in this situation
    I will call you to come get me." (be at least 20 miles away).

"I was depressed about my situation (doesn't matter what the situation is). If I could
    call at anytime, it might help. I usually get depressed in the middle of the night."

"My car needs work. Getting a ride won't be enough, as I still need the car. Could
    you loan me money to fix my car? That or rides to the meeting AND to work everyday."

"I want to come to the bookstudy, but I am scared. It's some kind of phobia. I probably
    need counseling about 2 or 3 times a week."

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Truthiness works! Try this one, it is nearly bulletproof. Go to a respected elder in the congregation who ISN'T this yahoo and tell him the following.

"I have been having such a hard time. I am so depressed. I am doing the best I can, but he is so discouraging. I don't feel loved..."

That should do the trick.

• thom
    thom

They're studying the Revelation book again? How booooooring! I haven't been to a meeting in four years, but we (my wife and I) are going in about an hour to the talk because my dad is giving it and we're being nice. Hopefully I won't get too much attention. At least I get to go to the KH with a beard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit