Yesterday my father informed me that he will shun me...

by nvrgnbk 83 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

WOW.

To think that I (we) once thought like that NVRGNBK. *shakes head*

This will pass.

Burn

• JH
    JH
    You only get unconditional love from a dog.

Which means they don't even measure up to dogs !!!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Maybe it's a personal thing too - whilst I had 4 kids and was at uni for 4 years I also spent over 2 of them caring for my grandad who had dementia and came living with me to give gran a break which turned into a permanent arrangement. Neither could he climb stairs and though he could walk aided, resented ever getting up ! Practically all of the personal care was down to me!! And my ex went to meets as usual and ministry - he wasn't a JW!! So living the reality is maybe not such a joke or any idea linked to getting back at someone!! My thoughts and I couldn't hide them!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is one time when it makes sense to shun another (even a father). When the father (or other person) is mean-spirited and only seeks to control others unjustly, then it makes sense to shun that person, but only because you will not have freedom if you maintain that relationship. This is the primary reason why unconditional love is impossible among humans--simply because there are those who are out to hurt, scam, or exploit us. The Watchtower Society is a prime example of that (meaning it is sometimes necessary to shun family or "friends" that are in, who would only try to recapture us by fraud if you let them).

However, ostracism should only be reserved for those who continually initiate the use of force, threat of force, coercion, and/or fraud against others. Shunning, in that case, helps protect innocent people from the effects (you cannot fall for a scam if you shun the one starting it). Usually, there is little or nothing to gain from associating with such people anyway. However, it is proper to hope that the person will change and try to create value for society instead of destroying it. And, if that does happen, there is no need to wait for someone else to officially reinstate the person. Such people can properly be recognized at that point for attempting to reform.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Never ...

Love,

CoCo

• freeme
    freeme

I understand the gravity of all this stuff but the idea about when someone is older and needing after dinner care as a way of revenge goes over my head!

If love hurts then wants revenge it was never love in the first place - but maybe some of us go the whole life journey with a massively different take on love! In fact I truly believe that after all the variety of feeling and reaction I come across!

Some personality types do love revenge! Personally its legalised crime in my eyes!

could be my post. im not the typical family man (like having a family cometogether once a week yay... no not my way), but i do love my family much. even though they would drop me because of my believes i think the best way is to love them further on. unconditionally. the act of shunning tries to provoke a harsh response because its cruel. a harsh response will strengthen someone IN the org in his believe that everything outside the org is evil (EVEN my brother/son/husband turned EVIL - thanks god im still in!). if you really love your family or friends you wont like that. so show them your love and respect even though they dont. nv's dad may be touched to tears when his son he shunned for so many years still loves him and cares for him when he needs it. by a good chance his fellow jws doesnt care much about him.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Nathan, I must have missed something. Have you been called to a JC?

Otherwise, why did this come up with your dad?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire
    And if youwould rather that i not come to your home i will certainly understand that also and will comply accordingly in witch case they can come see me.

Typical witness presumptuousness to assume that you will allow them to come see her!

• watson
    watson
    To those saying to show kindness in the face of ignorance, you're right.
    Knowing myself, I will.
    The idea of retribution or vengeance is just the little bit of residual Jehovism left in me.

THAT's what I was waiting to hear from you NVR!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    You only get unconditional love from a dog.

Hmmm, and dog spelled backwards is god. Coincidence? *in Jim Carrey voice* "I don't THINK so."

But seriously, I hope everything turns out AWESOME for you. ((((((((((((nvrgnbk))))))))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit