You Who Have Been on the Board For Awhile - What Are your Concerns ?

by flipper 176 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Abandoned,

Come now! You must be joking. Surely you are not that ethically compromised.

He made a comment about a fart. You called him an idiot. Big difference there.

He made this comment DIRECTED AT MY POST. It was the post of a complete idiot as he did not even attempt to make a rebuttal on ONE point that I made. All he wrote is quoted here:

*makes fart sound with his mouth in reply to the above post*

If he has the courage to make this post, he must have the courage to take responsibility for his words. If he cannot, he should not rely on others who are unable to seperate an idiotic comment from one of value to help him out.

His was a comment that may or may not have been childish or immature, that's probably up to the reader, but yours was a direct insult.

You are quite astonishing - do you actually reason things out before you write them donw? If you were to write one of your poems and I replied after your posts, without using a 'smiley':

Would you take this as an insult or not?

God, I really do not know how some of you find the front door and manage to hold down a job. Shaking head.

HS

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    He made this comment DIRECTED AT MY POST.

His comment was directed at your inanimate post and you responded, ad hominim, by insulting him personally. I truly can't believe you don't see the difference.

• wednesday
    wednesday

jws taught me that:

Jws are always right, not matter what. They have the answers to all life's questions. . You must not question them- any discussion or deviation from the questions at the bottom of the paragraphs is not allowed- even if you are reading from the Bible. If you question them or engage in 'pointless debate" you could be an apostate. They taught me emotions/ feelings are dangerous and can get you in trouble. It's safer to just not have any. But then a logical thought manges to get through. Now I fell really confused.. This can be the state that posters come to the discussion boards. This is probably why so many feel that any debate/lively discussion is argumentative and abusive.

I recall making a post once and saying that one of the first things I learned here was - I was not always right. It got a few LOL's, but if some of us could remember that- it would be more fun. Or you could say - don't get your knickers in a wad.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth
    AK - Jeff said:

I believe that part of what has happened is that the board has many mature members now. Some are unable to recall the fear associated with leaving, others have become totally paranoid about newcomers. Having been here a while, I am finding that when I look at the active threads, nothing seems to be of much interest - it is a rehash of things already discussed a thousand times for me. But I am interested in newbies, so on those threads I often click. Honestly, if someone just posts here, why would we want to overload them with every possible doctrinal problem, fight between ourselves, and accuse them of being a 'troll' before we get to know them.

I am agreeing with most all of the posts so far. I agree with Jeff that Newbies are the most important. I have very strong opinions and beliefs (I'll admit that ) but IMHO it is not acceptable to set them forth as the TRUTH and invalidate the thinking of other people. There is no TRUTH here, it is what we BELIEVE. I do not feel that it is my right, or the right of anyone, to put forth their opinions as the only right way to think, no matter how strongly they believe. My belief is made up of what I have learned. From people, books, emails, newsletters and Internet sites among others. We all take what we need from other people and make it our own. I find it hard to accept from dogmatic, abusive people even if they are right. (or seem right)

When I was a newbie, I was scared to post because I was afraid that my belief would be pounced on and I would be berated for my opinions. I hope this can be a place where everyone is respected. We are all right in our own minds. I also believe "trolls" should be respected. Who knows why they are here? Maybe, just maybe, kindness will be the one thing that will get them to think. Everyone should get the benefit of the doubt.

Love you all, thanks for your kindness and support.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Abandoned,

His comment was directed at your inanimate post and you responded, ad hominim, by insulting him personally. I truly can't believe you don't see the difference.

Oh really! What bluster and nonsense, and you know it. Who do you think you are kidding? Are you really trying to sell the idea that 'inanimate' insults to 'inanimate' posts are not to be taken personally. Look to the end of this post for an experiment in such erratic ethical values.

Side-stepping the issue I see. I also noticed that you thought better than to actually answer a question

If you were to write one of your poems and I replied after your posts, without using a 'smiley' {how would you react} :

I suspect that you would take this a very personal attack on your INANIMATE post and either go running for help to the moderators or do the right thing and bloody my nose for being an complete and utter idiot.

So would you be personally offended if I were to describe your poems as embarrassing, shallow crap? Or would you be able to separate the inanimate from the animate....lol.

Shaking head.

HS

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

This board is great for information and resources, as well as friends. I have been pointing people here for years, and Simon has been gracious to me. Thanks to all the mods for their hard, volunteer work. Some good friends of mine have left due to various disagreements, and that is too bad.

I have run a non-profit organization for many years, decades in fact. I am thankful for those who enjoy helping others out of their own free will. Many of you are like-hearted. I get riled when those newly out of the JWs have to face arrogance and nastiness from fellow ex-JWs. I grieve for these people daily, and I send many here for a kind of community. It is necessary. I don't like any of the other boards thus far as they are either WORSE or too gabby and not helpful for newbies. I want my contacts to have good information and reliable mature people ready to help them. JWD is this.

What would I like to see?

Why not allow a poster the opportunity to delete the thread he started if it gets nasty or whatever? Since the mods don't delete character assassination threads as far as I know, please allow the originator of the thread to do so. This is not uncommon. If not, WHY NOT? It would help a lot.

Sincerely yours,

Randall Watters

http://www.freeminds.org

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Uhhhh......Tom?

Put the shovel down and back away slowly.........do you really want your legacy to be that you (unsuccessfully) defended this:

?

And you know I 'love' you and mincan both..........

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

May I say Randy - I love this board BUT it was your website that directed me here. Thankyou. I agree with your sentiments whole-heartedly

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Since the mods don't delete character assassination threads as far as I know

Randy, this happened just a few days ago. Self-assassination, so it was a mercy deletion.

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes Randy,

I have asked why we can't just have a delete option added to the edit button. they do it on 3 other boards I'm on and it does not seem to cause anyone any grief. the only rules on deletion I've seen are -- no deletion of the first post of a thread ( a mod can of course). really, many of us get writers regret and a delete option would help a lot. Some say it would mess up the integrity of the thread- so what. If you have posted something very personal or insulting things, -delete it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit