You Who Have Been on the Board For Awhile - What Are your Concerns ?

by flipper 176 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

The board is much safer than years ago. Still, newbies can be attacked. It happened me. I was so grateful to DG or DJ . can't recall now. so

everything old is new again.

it is OK to disagree, just b/c you have to WTS approved answer may not mean anything here. ( remember there are no questions at the end of the paragraph)

lively debate is still good.

as far as you can, try to develop a thicker skin. people will say things on the net that they would never dream of saying to your face.

I came here in 02 and still come back to be a part of welcoming and helping news ones. I am not a scholar, but i have life experience in several areas that i could be helpful.

weds

• OMG! Now What?
    OMG! Now What?

Even though I'm new here, I thought maybe my 2 cents would help a little. I found this board the same day I registered. I never thought of lurking because I was looking for answers and possibly help to get over my dilemma. It seemed like an answer to a prayer that I found this board and I was anxious to start healing quickly.

My first post was a little long and told my story and some of my feelings. I wasn't pounced on in any way which makes me think that newbies should be the ones most careful in posting when they first get here. If a newbie doesn't want to be discovered, it's not difficult to leave names, towns, situations out of your introduction...just tell everyone why you are here and what you've been through. I could see how easy it is for a newbie to be called a troll by reading what they write, or maybe I should say what they don't write. It's odd that a newbie would start writing as if they have been here for a while and is a known poster. If I had been here a while lurking, and was just starting to fade or had friends and family I wanted to hide from, I would never start posting making it sound like I was fishing for information or whatever or just start posting like everyone knew me already. I understand there are many of you here that don't want to be discovered and that is natural as well as your natural response/reaction to a newbie that doesn't seem up front or saying just the right things. It takes time for established members to gain confidence and trust newbies. It's just natural to be distrusting of newbies not knowing if it's your PO snooping on you or something.

It would be SUPER nice if there was a board here entitled "Welcome Members" or something where newbies could introduce themselves instead of jumping head first into regular threads. I know for me, it was (and still is) difficult to figure out which board to post my new threads.

Anyway, I've been welcomed warmly enough for being new here. Thanks!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good topic Flipper .I am one of the oldies in time ,age, & looks.
    I too think we should care about newbies more. I realize many on the board are now atheists. But think how hard it is for a JW leaving the fold &THEY STILL believe in GOD!!!
    I have heard in my long years of the ones that were D/F committing suicide. We dont know what is at the other end of the ones we are responding too.

I suppose at my age I should get off. But I KNOW there are so many that are lurking in fear...And hope to reach them privately if they need help in any way at all .ANY WAY AT ALL!!!!!

My two cents .

• Maddie
    Maddie

I was welcomed warmly when I first posted but if I had been called a troll I would of been horrified and never come back. Most of us are damaged by being a JW and by other life experiences and when we come on JWD feel very isolated and unsure about everything.

I agree that new posters should be given the benefit of the doubt, even if they are suspect at first. It can also be worrying to hear all the talk about trolls because it creates a suspicious atmosphere on the forum which is destructive in itself because of its negative effect.

Maddie

• jelcat8224
    jelcat8224

what snowbird and cog said

I am here because of the information I get out of it and there are some very kind people here .... overall though, I don't feel like I can be myself and say things I really want to sometimes because I don't want to get 'pounced' on ... so I try to involve myself in the lighter threads and share in some of the witty banter, but I don't generally discuss things that really 'matter' anymore. (I'm not looking for sympathy or pity, I am just saying how it is for me) This is my existence on JWD, quiet and unnoticed, and that's ok with me in light of some of the other alternatives.

PS ... I am not always this quiet, I do discuss things that 'matter' on other boards where there is not so much of the clique mentality! I am not a wall flower by any means

jelcat

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I suppose at my age I should get off.

Granny DON'T YOU DARE!!! Who'll keep us all in line if you don't eh???!!

I was going to say what you said too. A lot of exiting JWs do still believe in God/Christianity - just not the org's variety. It saddens me when Christian threads seem to get hijacked by atheists who just want to say "well it's all a load of made up crap", there are also those who make more reasoned arguments - I'm not saying that atheists aren't entitled to their opinions, just that if that is the case, there's a time and place to learn that. I do honestly wonder how many still-in JWs have lurked here and come to the conclusion that everyone outside in 'the world' is an atheist and decided that perhaps the WTS really is the ONLY one with the truth.

Also regarding newbies, since the internet is so demonised by the org, we should be mindful that this board may be their first ever experience of interaction. Their netiquette may not be very good and they may write things which can easily be taken out of context or jumped upon. This happened to me when I first started getting involved in discussions - I wrote 'I think' rather than 'imho' or similar - I was judged as being too opinionated/imposing!! (Yes I was hauled for that tiny error). It frightened me so much that I almost never came back - and I've never been a JW!

• DT
    DT

Good discussion. I would like a home link, perhaps in the options section. (I know you can get there by clicking on the upper left picture, but it doesn't say home and is surrounded by ads.) My first experiences with JWD was finding individual discussions through Google searches. I did a little reading and then continued my research elsewhere. It was months before I stumbled onto the home page and realised what a great resource JWD is.

One of my concerns is making JWD more popular or at least easier to find. I hope more of us can link to JWD if we have blogs or websites. (PM me if you need any technical help.) I wonder if it would help JWD in the search engines if we used fewer abbreviations for important keywords like Jehovah's Witnesses, Watchtower, etc. I don't know if it would be worth it, but it might be worth considering. I'm trying to do this when it occurs to me. Maybe it would even be worthwhile to have a series of topics that are geared towards newbies and lurkers, where there is less debate and more of a pooling of information and links on important topics like blood, 1914, false prophecies, etc. These topics might do very well in the search engines and could be a good introduction to JWD.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have a few concerns I feel in which we can improve on this board . One is in welcoming newbies more positively . AGREED

So, we have all seen how witnesses treat people , hopefully we have learned from that and will continue to cut people some slack- and be kind. DEFINITELY

Life is not like that- one size does not fit all. I think that all or nothing reasoning comes from having been in a all or nothing cult ( just my opinion). ABSOLUTELY

So- What else do you folks notice ? overall this is a great board and why I have stayed around so long

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The board is evolving quite nicely..This place used to be a Wild West Show..............Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    It would be SUPER nice if there was a board here entitled "Welcome Members" or something where newbies could introduce themselves instead of jumping head first into regular threads.

That's a good idea.

Other than a hello, or "welcome", that's all I can 'offer' a newbie. Maybe others can look at this message board that way as well. No reason to shit can someone right off their first keystrokes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit