You Who Have Been on the Board For Awhile - What Are your Concerns ?

by flipper 176 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

So WLG, in light of what you said, do you always give people the finger when you first meet them?

Cog

• flipper
    flipper

COG- WAnderlust guy's finger got stuck in position like that from an unfortunate smelting accident ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• oldflame
    oldflame

Well I have been a member since 2001 even though it does not say that in my box to the left. I came in originally as KGB but I changed emails and moved across the country and did not know how to change the email in my profile so I just changed name.

Personally I think the board is running just fine, but some members could be doing the change and not the board. Simon does a fantastic job with this site and I think he does not make any money for his efforts either. I give him a big hand .

I think that those members who have personality problems eventually change after being here for awhile, because when I first came here I too had an attitude big time. I had a huge chip on my shoulder at that time and was dealing with some of the worst treatments anyone could endure from JW family members. I was accused of things I never dreamed of doing and it was done so that the JW family could make me look like the bad guy in their congregation in order to protect themselves from DFing actions they could have faced. Let me tell you witnesses will believe another witness before anyone outside of their faith. They act like it is impossible for a witness to lie, boy are they going to face some serious charges when they meet their creator for that. Anyway with everything I was going through then and then dealing with the fact that I was one pissed off dude when I found out that the witnesses were just another cult like the mormons in which I was a baptised member of in the past, I was later excommunicated from at the age of 19.

I'm the kind of guy who will tell it like I see it, sometimes up front, right in your face . I wish everyone here a great experience and hope for all good in all men/women. We are only here for a little while, might as well our stand and make it right here !

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    I suppose at my age I should get off

No No No !!!! Many many love you here - would hate to see you go.

I found this board a relief from the society because people were free to give their opinion and not get judged. I left the board then for about a year or so. Came back and...well what I noticed is that yes you can still give your opinion, but then some got attacked quite harshley - reams and reams of copy pasted stuff used as their back up - a lot of back and forward stuff. I just tend to stay off those topics 1. cos one can't actually read all the stuff posted 2. a lot of what one says is almost taken out of context deliberately.

I still love the forum though.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Flipper,

HILLARY STEP- I understand what you are saying . We need freedom of speech on this board, I agree. I'm not expecting anybody to become a " good witness " as you phrase it or give a " good witness " here . But, I think most of us expect people to show common decency and manners to others when communicating on the board and to show courtesy and be civil to other people when we post. That has nothing to do with whether we are a Jehovah's Witness or an ex-Jehovah's Witness. I think it's not asking too much of people to get their points across in a mature, civil manner.

I think you are still missing my point.

Let me try to simplify this. Your desires are idealistic. Given the mix of elements as outlined above they will never work the way you want them to. What are you to do, leave the Board or accept the reality that people are going to disagree, and do so vigorously on occasion because many of them are finding a voice that that have NEVER used.

I live in terms of reality. I have been on this Board for many years. My first posts were not comfortable, but I stayed. Over the years we have seen numerous cases of poster 'fraud'. Persons posting with malevolent motive. We have also seen some wonderful people breaking free of the emotional chains of a spiteful cult, and everything in between.

What is mostly noticeable however is how people have GROWN in this environment. Those with no political views have found their voice. Those with religion have had their most sacred doctrines tested. Those with unhealthy viewpoints on life: bigotry, intellectual dishonesty, racist tendencies, mental health issues etc. are challenged and change. I have seen people grow emotionally and intellectually before my eyes. All of this does not happen in an environment where people are always 'civil' and always show 'good manners'. Battles will take place, and I again suggest that those who join this Board have lurked often for years beforehand and KNOW the tenor of the Board before they subscribe, and I also suggest that these more vigorous threads, normally focused on the political threads are not unhealthy.

My advice:

1) View this board for what it is, a one-dimensional discussion Board. .

2) Grow up and take responsibility for your words.

3) Use your brain and if you do not want to be involved in a thread where posts are taking place that upset your sensibilities. DO NOT CLICK ON THEM. Just move on, we are one click away from 'safety' on these threads

4) Areas of conflict are normally political threads and those dealing with creationism. All lurkers and everybody who posts on this site recognizes this fact, yet many still involve themselves in them and then run away screaming when caught in the crossfire. This is not rocket science, we are just one click away from what some percieve as 'bad manners' and others percieve as a heated debate, so it is easy to avoid these threads IF they upset our sensibilities.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Good Advice HS.

• mouthy
    mouthy

No No No !!!! Many many love you here - would hate to see you go.

Oh LouBelle How sweet!!!! thank you my love .... Sure does make me feel good. To know that my age dont put you all off. Your all my family now. Except I have my Sue. .who posted here a few years ago under susieQ......(((((((((((HUGS)))))

• Aliboy
    Aliboy

Until this post, I have been a lurker. My concern about the Board is the same as I have for the Society. Too Eurocentic!

The Hebrew/Aramaic scriptures were based on the histories and experiences of peoples native to the Levant and North-east Afica. These peoples havent disapperaed or being exterminated. If you really want an accurate knowledge of the Scriptures, research the native writings and oral histories of Kemet/Misr (Ra), Kas/Kush, Kanen/Canaan, Arameans/Syrians, Assyrians, Chaldeans/Babylonians and Persians. Interesting sidelines and information about the the bible, unknown or disregarded by the Western Church will be revealed to you.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome Aliboy to the board.... Yes It is a place you can have your say .On any matters at all good to have you join us Do pull up a chair & come to the UNCONDITIONALE LOVE SITE!!!
    Tell us about your self .

• Aliboy
    Aliboy

Mouthy/Supreme One,

Had a hunch, I'd get a how do from you. Thanks.

Including others, that I may get acquainted with in due time, I have due regard for your contributions to the Board. Suffice to say, for the time being, I do not have any issues with the Society, which were not made evident during my baptismal questions session; viz, the Scriptures do not support their claim that elders are spirit appointed, are the only approved body of worshipers on earth that the Creator deals with, and that I will not be told by any man who to converse with or not. I recall, on the day, that I told the elders present that my viewpoints were not negotiable. They consulted with each other and thereafter, I was approved for baptism. However, its being a year, since I last associated. I am not DF, have no intention of DA, and do not view myself as a Fader. My baptismal vows were made to the Creator based on universal truths recorded in the Hebrew/Aramaic Scriptures and not to any Organisation. So, when or who I choose to engage with, as regards my spiritual need (based on truth) has always being a matter for me and not the decision of any man.

Thanks for your welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit