You Who Have Been on the Board For Awhile - What Are your Concerns ?

by flipper 176 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy
    I suppose at my age I should get off.

Granny DON'T YOU DARE!!! Who'll keep us all in line if you don't eh???!!

Oh sademo Do I really sound like an elderette? I always mean it to be funny

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Most people do not register on this Board within seconds of finding it but 'lurk'. Some for weeks, some for months some even for years.

They know the tenor of the Board and are likely to know the reaction to what they post when they post. The Board is made up of numerous personalites from numerous nations, social backgrounds and differing stages of exit from the WTS. There are also, I am going to be straight here, a not insignificant number of posters who clearly have mental health issues, some medicated, some who should be. There are some on this Board who have posted before under different names, some unsubscribed for behavioral issues and have returned intent on some sort of malevolence

Given the enormous mix of elements as noted and given the one-dimensional scenario that make up discussion Boards attempting to sum up the personality, or intent of a poster is a fools errand. It took me a year on this Board to realize that to many it is not an appendage to their lives, but a substitute for their lives, a very dangerous place to be. These people become consumed by what happens on this Board and take events here far too seriously.

This can be seen for example, by those who engage in debate on a subject, get their nose bloodied by someone, usually because of being misinformed and then follow that person around the Board trying to unhinge them on every thread they post to. While not surprising behavior, this is indicative of some serious issues of emotional insecurity. AlanF used to describe such people as Attack Mice, I call them Attack Gnats as mice are rather pretty creatures. He used to get the same three posters disagreeing with everything he said, whether he was right or wrong was of no concern, on every single thread.

My own posting style has changed over the years as a matter of deliberate policy, having wasted so much of my time trying to sweet-talk the ignorant as one would going from door-to-door. This does not mean that I have changed as a person, I have not. It means that my posting style has changed. I try to be honest about what I write, tolerant of those who I believe deserve tolerance and intolerant to those with an agenda, especially a religious one. Each thread is a new one to me, and even the person that I disagreed with yesterday I might agree with today. My experience however is that people rarely change that much.

I received a note from a person yesterday thanking me for speaking the words that they did not have the courage to speak. My advice is to speak and damn the cost. The WTS silenced us and emasculated our personal opinions, some of us for decades. Learn to speak with a strong voice, make sure of your facts and then speak. Another mail from a person with whom I once debated (I note that for a reason) described me as 'consumed with anger'....lol There are many who have met me personally on this Board who will recognize the inaccuracy of this statement and this just gives flesh to my frequently noted point, that judging personalities on discussion boards is a thankless and pointless task.

I am sure even the most bitter 'enemies' online, when they meet in real life would throw an arm around each other and enjoy each others companies, and THAT is why I view this Board more as entertainment, especially in debates, than real life. If you do not, you are destined for tears.

I was amused recently when a poster suggested that were Outlaw in the same room as himself he would beat him to a pulp. Outlaw is a Marshal Arts expert and would probably launch him in a huge arc like a naval shell....lol. See what I mean. Fantasy and reality become merged on discussion Boards, ESPECIALLY XJW Boards.

HS

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am going to be straight here, a not insignificant number of posters who clearly have mental health issues

Well you could have named me.I can take the hint HS

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I agree with welcoming newbies warmly.

I also agree with what DT said. More people need to know about the site. It needs to be promoted more on the net.

• serendipity
    serendipity

My rule: If you don't have anything nice or positive to say, don't post it. Or at least send a pm. There's no need to beat up on people.

• myelaine
    myelaine

You Who Have Been on the Board For Awhile - What Are your Concerns ? ...

not what, but who...

Jeremiah 31:21

love michelle

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I know that many are worried about having their true identities revealed. Many don't post their location, fake their gender and age.

I think it would be a much nicer community if we could feel safe in posting our personal details so that we could make contact with old friends. I'd love to be able to do a search on my home town and find old friends that I know have "fallen away". This profile data could be restricted to "senior members" or "verified members" in some way so that trolls wouldn't find us. Perhaps on the profile page each of us could specify which level of security we want before including us in profile lookup or search results.

Just an idea.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Oh sademo Do I really sound like an elderette? I always mean it to be funny

Nawww (((Grace))) not at all! I believe you are one of the people here who have a stabilising influence on things, you can defuse a heated debate - with that great sense of humour of yours! You have a special wisdom and insight which many don't have as yet.

Only thing is you keep on beating yourself up and dragging yourself down (even if you do it in jest)!!!

You're a truly wonderful person and a great asset, don't let anyone make you believe otherwise - not even the joker within you

• mouthy
    mouthy

Only thing is you keep on beating yourself up and dragging yourself down

But you see I am NOT the wonderful person most on here attribute to me. I LIVE with me !!!I know me. & I believe the saying ""TO thine own self be true.""" I am true to me I wish you could all meet me.
    Well I was looking for the embarressed face but it has GONE ....LOOK & see or is it just from mine???

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Hilary Step absolutely brilliantly and eloquently put - as usual

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit