News from Mother ship

by jefferywhat 283 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

But they're stuck, Yknot. They don't have anyone with the charisma to pull off any major theological change right now, so unless they're willing to risk losing a 1975-style percentage of members short-term, in their pursuit of the long-term, they're going to keep riding the status-quo.

And nothing's going to happen until Ted Jaracz dies, anyway.

At that point (or when he's too senile to object), all bets are off, IMO.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yknot, is there anything in print of their admitting that 1914 was a mistake due to the GB "over eagerness"?

• yknot
    yknot

The expansion could be to make it more attractive to selling to a private school type institution...........

It also could be that they are planning a Mormon like preaching brigade where single publishers come to the farm for intensive indoctrination and than go out where the need is greater for a period of time...... something to create 'buzz' among the ranks and alternative service to going off to college for the more devoted.

They could be planning on expanding the idea of 'Bethel Vacations and Tours' too.

(Gilead could technically be expanded as a teaching institution too)

I think in the end they are just doing 'busy work' while the economy is down in preparation of future Brooklyn sell-offs.

• agonus
    agonus

They'll never drop 1914. Oh sure, they'll continue to put out "new light" on the MEANING of 1914 ad infinitum until it totally loses all meaning (in my opinion it already has, being 95 years ago and all), but they'll never concede that nothing significant happened in 1914. Of the countless dates they've predicted, 1914 was the only year where something earth-shaking really happened. It might be the only thing that even comes close to giving them a semblance of prophethood.

Nope, the only thing that'll clear out the deadwood is a total WTS makeover ala Worldwide Church of God. The only reason it hasn't happened in the WT is because there is no Herbert Armstrong to overthrow. The organization has become an entity unto itself.

Unless the WT swallows some humble pie and invites some of the nutty-but-compelling-in-their-own-way "anointed" folks (i.e. an "e-Watchman" type) back into the fold and admits they've totally run out of ideas.

The last thing I remember the WT saying in a fairly recent mag that even sounded like a fresh idea was an absolute damp squid. It was something about the "second resurrection" to heaven happening beginning in 1918, seeing how it was 3 1/2 years after 1914. They said the correlation to "times, time and half a time" - or was it Jesus' 3 1/2 years in ministry - was an "interesting possibility".

It was neither interesting nor a possibility.,

• yknot
    yknot

Mad Sweeney

They don't need an 'oracle' to survive they just have to do away with or bury interpretations......

All they really have to do is too look over the dialogue of JWN...... Noo-light springeth in abundance!

We are already seeing some of this trickling into there commentary or presentations.......and JWs are programmed to see all this as proof of the light getting brighter.

SAC~

The only thing I know of about 1914 is them being in the wrong expectation regarding Armageddon......but that was switched in Rutherford's time.

Admitting 1914 is a farce won't happen for many years to come (or if ever) but I do expect the burial from mention in the publications (including PT outlines) after certain GB receive their heavenly seatings........(It currently is still highlighted and timetabled in the Feb 15, 2010 SE). 1914 is too well known and tied to 1919 which alleges authority of the WTS right now but JW memories and over-eagerness for noo-light reassuring them of the WTS progress will cause them to be oblivious of it's non-mention. I will be very surprised if they are still yapping about it in 50 years (still on the official interpretational record but buried).

That all said I am personally interested in how they will sell in 2009 AGM 'Jesus meant....generation overlap' commentary in the publications or if they will even bother.....

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Bump for posterity.

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty
    Mad Sweeney - And nothing's going to happen until Ted Jaracz dies, anyway.

So is it time to sit up now that Ted's snuffed it ??? (June 9th 2010)

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

John E. Barr, died too on the 4 December 2010 - So with both gone theres surely to be some new blood trying to make their mark! Bethelites get your ears to the ground please :)

• yknot
    yknot
    Yknot, is there anything in print of their admitting that 1914 was a mistake due to the GB "over eagerness"?

NOT GB BUT WT......yeppers, somewhat!!!!

Attentions Bethel Lurker I found it !!!!

I found the 'segway' to blow off our past!!!!

Seeing how history has a tendency to repeat itself I offer up this 'nugget', this 'gem'.......from the Apirl 15, 1918 WT, About Midnight pg 117-118, para 7 (okay I am glad we number our paragraphs now!) of the article )...

Several times during the harvest, during the progress of what seemed plagues to Christendom, the Lord has permitted his people to think that they were about to go. Brother Russell expected the chruch to go beyond the vail in 1878, 1881, 1910 and 1914--just as Elijah, who went with Elisha to four different places before he was actually taken. These seeming disappointments were divinely foreknown, "his appointments"

Elijah/Elisha..... always a classic !

• minimus
    minimus

You know Jeffrey wasn't all wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit