I am having a bad day

by Vivamus 63 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Gill
    Gill

Also, you may find the book 'The Miracle of Magnesium' by doctor Caroline Dean, very helpful.

Magnesium imbalance and lack of magnesium tends to trigger migraines which is why taking magnesium helps to release the spasm in the blood vessels in the brain that cause the migraine pain.

Magnesium relaxed blood vessels and allows them to dilate, reducing the spasms and constrictions that can cause migraines.

Magnesium regulates the action of brain nerotransmitters and inflammatory substances, which may play a role in migraines when unbalanced.

Magnesium thins the blood, somewhat like aspirin, preventing the formation of tiny clots that can block blood vessels and cause pain.

Magnesium relaxes muscles and prevents the build up of lactic acid, which, along with muscle tension, can worsen head pain.

Go try the ca / mg, flax seed treatment! It is totally harmless and can only help!

Gill

• Odrade
    Odrade

What Gill says about magnesium correlates with my own experience. Magnesium (and calcium) is just about the only natural thing that can have any significant impact on migraine. Occasionally putting ice on my head and heat on my neck will help also.
    For those suggesting comedy for migraines, it is a very sweet suggestion, but it really has no impact, and tends to minimize a very real and painful issue.
    One of the most frustrating things about this "disease"- suffering from migraines, is well-meaning people (who have never had to deal with chronic migraine) giving you all sorts of advice.
    I have heard:
    1. cut back your meat
    2. don't eat cheese
    3. eat cheese
    4. watch a funny movie
    5. go for a walk
    6. get more exercise
    7. take a bath with lavendar
    8. take: feverfew, butterbur, multivitamin, neutriceuticals, apple cider vinegar, vitamin B, eat a vodka raisin, etc, etc ad nauseum
    9. get a massage
    10. try drug x, y, z.
    11. talk therapy
    12 drink wine
    13 don't drink wine
    14 have a shot of brandy
    15 steam tent
    16 drink a glass of water
    17 try benadryl
    18 eat less salt
    19 eat more salt
    20--- and so on.

My favorite is the one my mother used to say:
    "Tell your headache to go away."
    Others have also told me this, suggesting that it is the power of the mind, and if I can't do it and resolve the pain that I really must want the headache, or be getting something out of it.
    My husband will well-meaningly ask me if I have taken something, (meaning pills.) More about this later.
    At one point or another I have tried every single one of the above suggestions, including probably 3x that many more "remedies."
    Currently, my migraine ritual (when you have chronic pain, you develop a ritual to help you cope,) looks something like this:
    3am wake up with blinding migraine.
    lay there for 2-3 hours perfectly still, in denial.
    get up at 5am, get ice pack, lay left side of head on ice pack until pack is warm
    get up, take a handful of magnesium (sometimes with calcium based antacid- they dissolve quickly,) get in HOT bath.
    stay in bath until the water goes tepid
    get out of bath
    take migraine pill*
    lay in chair (laz-y-boy) for 1 hour to see if drugs work
    if not:
    get back in hot bath
    take advil
    drink gatorade
    drink coffee
    put ice on head
    get out of bath
    get back in bed and lay perfectly still
    take more advil
    take more magnesium/calcium

Hopefully, at this point, things are starting to ease up, but not always.
    This routine is what I went through this morning. Fortunately, this is one of the days where I only had to go through one round of ice/bath/migraine pill/advil. I feel like I got hit by a cement truck, but as long as I'm careful, I don't feel the pain in my head.

*Why didn't I take the migraine pill at the first sign of migraine?
    Good question.
    I get 6 pills per month covered by insurance. Out of pocket cost for these pills is $30 each. Not 30 cents. That's dollars. I tend to hoard them, some migraines last 2-3 days, and I need to have a little stash of them for these occasions, or I may end up going for another trip to the ER. Some months I need one, others I take all 6 and then dip into the stash.
    The pills are Relpax (Eletriptan HBr) which is in the same drug family as Imitrex (sumatriptan). Triptans work by binding to the serotonin receptors in the brain, preventing the release of peptides, which are responsible for some inflammatory reactions, particularly in nerve endings and blood vessels. They are highly effective for intermittent, "normal" migraine. They are not that effective with long-term migraine, so are not a good choice for someone with daily pain.

When I have a headache, I have to decide if it is a normal headache, normal migraine, hormonal migraine or muscle tension. My migraine pill will only work for one of these. If I don't take the right drug, it limits my options for other medication. For instance, a muscle tension migraine can be resolved by using an anti-emetic, since it relaxes everything. If I take the migraine drug, I can't take the anti-emetic for 12 hours.

Sometimes deciding on the type of headache can take several hours for other symptoms (besides pain,) to emerge.

Triptans can cause heart attacks. It is very rare, but a known risk. So everytime I take a pill, a part of me wonders if this is the time that could kill me. It's a small price to pay. Perhaps that puts it in perspective.
    Fortunately for me, I now only suffer occasionally, and I'd rather deal with that, than a daily and chronic pain condition, such as rheumatoid arthritis. But when they come on, they are horrible. Having migraines has affected my life's choices: I have no children because I do not think I could survive nearly a year of no access to heavy-duty pain medications. A critical component of all traveling is making sure I have enough medication hoarded to last an entire trip, even if I need daily use. Also, I usually schedule massage, chiropractic and acupuncture for the week preceding each trip, to be sure I am in the best possible condition before leaving. I never, ever "let loose" during parties, because having that "one last drink" could put me into a migraine episode.
    When I was 19, my migraines went into remission. I didn't have a single headache of any kind for 7 months. I always hope that it will happen again. Since I was 20 years old, the longest I've ever gone without a headache or migraine was 5 weeks.
    If you have never had migraines, you probably know someone who has. I hope this helps you understand what a typical migraineur goes through.

• wednesday
    wednesday

here a a few drugs that I have heard are used for migraines. Depakote is used as a preventive. taken every day. topamax is also used as a preventive and taken every day. both drugs are in the anti-seizure class and topamax also has the advantage of decreasing appetite. However, they are not without side effects.

I have used Imitrex nasal spray and it also comes in pills. They are for use during an actual migraine. There is also zomig tablets. There are many other things that can be used. I have never found morphine or Demerol or any other major narcotic to be particularly effective for my migraines.

Sometimes with women it's hormone related I once got rid of a migraine with an antihistamine, motrin 800 mg and a fluid pill. It made sense the tissues in your Brain swell , cause pain. the fluid pill and antihistamine and motrin is an anti-inflammatory.

you indeed may have allergies, and a really common one is wheat or gluten. I read a book called " going against the grain" and it was very helpful . i have tried this approach-eliminating white in all forms, corn,, sugar in all forms ( including artificial sweeting) and it did level out the hormones and thus reduced the headache.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Odrade, i (literally) feel your pain.

Your list of solutios made me giggle. My newest stepmother is the kind that drives me nuts with desire to slap her ... lol. Her solution to migraine is *just don't think about it*. That not thinking about it, works for a mild headache. A migraine is all-consuming. Every fibre of your body resonates with this pain, you cannot bear sounds, light, touch. When having a migraine - you are pain itself. Its useless explaining it, if a person never had it - it's impossible to understand.

I use the triptans too (Maxalt). When I use them it's a choice to make. The pills make me sick, and kinda postpone the migraine, or lengthens the duration of it. Usually (if) I take a triptan, and 5 hours later take a dose combination of codeine, asperine and coffeine. After another hour I will take another dose of that, and maybe another. By this time I realise fully well it might kill me, but I just don't care - anything is better than having to live through/with that pain. When I have a migraine alcohol is a no-no. But with a severe headache I might take the combo pills, and two glasses of wine or something. Dangerous, but the alcohol enhanches the pills - no pain. So severe an episode happens once a week for me if I take it easy. This week I had one for 4 out of 7 days, hence my desperate post.

I think it hard for people to understand that an episode can be so severe that the dangers of pills is a small price indeed - just like Odrade says.

Gill, thanx for the tip, Seawolf mentioned the same to me, and it definatly is worth looking into.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Hi Vivamus, I've watched a good friend suffer with migranes. My heart goes out to you. My friend botox injection once a month and these seem to give her periods of relief and respite.

I'm sure you have heard all the remedies, but I thought I would pass this one on too.

• outnfree
    outnfree

(((((Viv))))))
    I am sorry to hear of your pain and that you are so desperate. I used to have hormonal migraines nearly every month of my child-bearing years. Now that I'm post-menopausal, I get the rare horrible headache, but nothing in comparison to the migraines.
    I have also been in psychotherapy, learning to deal with grief and loss and to lose the automatic tendency to assume that I can somehow fix whatever is going wrong around me or help whoever else around me that is in pain (while ignoring my own needs).
    I do think stress exacerbates migraine. I have had my moments of crying on the shower floor from pain and frustration because others could not pity me or empathize with my condition.
    I wish you all good luck in getting to the root of your migraines' cause. I wish you complete surcease sooner rather than later.
    I will send out what healing thoughts I can as you have done for me in the past.
    Hugs,
    out

• Odrade
    Odrade

I hear you, Viv. I also will mix alcohol and migraine meds. It boosts the effects (and also raises the risk,) so when in extreme pain and nothing is working, I will resort (out of desperation) to a mix of triptan, ibuprofen and alcohol. The greatest risk of this combination is actually the ibuprofen/alcohol combo, since the booze thins the blood and the heavy ibuprofen use increases the chances of a stomach bleed. Stupid, but desperation will make you do really stupid things with hardly a second thought.

That risk also makes me hold out as long as possible before taking meds, but I always end up taking them in the end.

I've also been on the receiving end of "Just don't think about it." Right. Come over here and let me hammer this nail through your thumb, then I'll tell you not to think about it. Whatever.

I've heard of maxalt, but never tried it. Sometimes my Relpax makes me feel like my head is detached from my body, and I careen off the walls when walking around, but it's better than hurting.

There's book by Oliver Sacks (the Awakenings guy) called "Migraine." It's not a treatment book, more of a dialogue about migraines.

Blurb:
    "The many manifestations of migraine can vary dramatically from one patient to another, even within the same patient at different times. Among the most compelling and perplexing of these symptoms are the strange visual hallucinations and distortions of space, time, and body image which migraineurs sometimes experience. Portrayals of these uncanny states have found their way into many works of art, from the heavenly visions of Hildegard von Bingen to Alice in Wonderland. Dr. Oliver Sacks argues that migraine cannot be understood simply as an illness, but must be viewed as a complex condition with a unique role to play in each individual's life."

I've ordered it from Powell's, it should be an interesting read.

• Skepticue
    Skepticue

I'm sorry about your situation and I hope it improves. My only recommendation would be to try different things. Anything you try could work and you should try each thing with an open mind. An open, positive frame of mind will be half the battle and I'm convinced you can work through this. Good luck.

• JK666
    JK666

Viv,

I wish that I had some sort of "back woods" cure for you, but unfortunately I do not. I know that chronic pain can completely make a person insane. All I can do is try to send good vibes your way, and hope whoever is in charge of this mess called life will cut you some slack.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((V)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

John

• Ayla
    Ayla

Hi Sweetie,

Migraines are real as you well know. And they are pure hell. I hope you can find ways to cope for yourself. These lovely posts are filled with antedotes and I hope one or two work for you. Hell, I don't want to blame EVERYTHING on JW life ... but are we predisposed to such pain? I don't have the migraines I had in years past which literally rendered me unable to function. Now, I mostly get the "auras" of light in my eyes but not actual pain nor vomiting. Hey - I'll take the auras! My eye doc said the brain is a brilliant organ which "learns" .. it learns to avoid the pain and instead only endure the light auras. I can buy that b/c I used to have pain for 2-3 days of missed work and now I have light flashes where I can endure work. He said I'd evolved into "occular migranes." Not sure but made sense to me. I'm just glad I'm no longer vomting and sick.

Best to you. I hope among these many postings and advice you find something that works for you.

Peace be with you,

Ayla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit