Incompetent zoo keepers...

by Gregor 45 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

HS

Well, given that there are so few Siberian tigers in existence and that the supply of stupid young men is never-ending I will save my tears for the tiger.

I totally agree with you.

sammieswife.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Well, given that there are so few Siberian tigers in existence and that the supply of stupid young men is never-ending I will save my tears for the tiger.

Even if the kids confess to antagonizing the tiger, an ambulance-chasing lawyer will bleed the zoo for a couple of million. No lawyer for species in extintion.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Well I wasn't going to post on this thread because it seems there are enough controversial opinions but I feel like saying that this is not the tiger's fault for being an animal and acting like an animal, and if the boys were taunting the tiger that was really stupid, but the bottom line is SOMEONE is to blame - whether it is the zookeepers or the zoo designers - for making it possible for the tiger to escape! The tiger should never have been able to do that. A 17-year-old boy and a tiger are both dead. This is truly tragic.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    SOMEONE is to blame - whether it is the zookeepers or the zoo designers - for making it possible for the tiger to escape! The tiger should never have been able to do that. A 17-year-old boy and a tiger are both dead. This is truly tragic.

We don't know that he did escape without help because the investigation isn't complete.

Bottom line is this - the boys had choices - the animal didn't. The animal was in her own territory - the boys knowingly went into her territory. Right about now with all the stupidity out there and the lawsuits that will be jumped on - I'm for shutting all zoo's down to the public and keeping them open for breeding purposes only. That way - every child or parent can sleep well at night knowing their precious one is safe - and every child can grow up without ever seeing the beauty and magnificence of our creatures. They can look at a picture book and only dream of what those animals look like up close - or feel the fur or skin of those animals. But they'll be safe.

Designers or engineers make things based on available data with safety in design on the top of the priority list. Safety for the animal and the public. If they built to scope then they did nothing wrong - designs may have to be examined for weak links but there should be no lawsuit as an option. That is like saying the bunk beds I bought for my kids didn't come with a warning that told me my son would break his leg if he insisted on jumping from the top to the bottom therefore the design was poor or he wouldn't have gotten hurt. The person to blame is the person who (if it is found to be so) decided it was great fun to taunt a wild animal in the hopes he could challenge it and win. sammieswife.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    SOMEONE is to blame - whether it is the zookeepers or the zoo designers - for making it possible for the tiger to escape! The tiger should never have been able to do that. A 17-year-old boy and a tiger are both dead. This is truly tragic.

I agree.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Being that I used to live in the San Francisco bay area I have been to that zoo a few times, last time on a fieldtrip with my oldest son and his school. There was one place I would not go at that zoo and it was the primate enclosure, reason being over the years people have teased those poor animals to death and now they always throw poo. I don't do primate poo So I don't think it's unreasonable to think that that tiger may have been teased with unfortunate results.

Josie

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    I'm for shutting all zoo's down to the public and keeping them open for breeding purposes only.

Yeah that's a great plan. Without the public seeing how these animals are being treated and the millions of dollars that people spend each year going to SEE these animals I'm SURE that their living conditions will drastically improve overnight!

The problem is that PEOPLE suck. Not the animals! The zoo's SHOULD hire security to monitor every area of the park via closed circuit tv 24/7 and when they catch people harassing the animals (probably won't catch more than one every fifteen minutes or so ) they should be prosecuted! Or failing that they could just throw them to the tigers...

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The problem is that PEOPLE suck. Not the animals! The zoo's SHOULD hire security to monitor every area of the park via closed circuit tv 24/7 and when they catch people harassing the animals (probably won't catch more than one every fifteen minutes or so ) they should be prosecuted! Or failing that they could just throw them to the tigers...

and therein lies the problem. PEOPLE. Try suing them and the money spent in court costs would bankrupt them anyway.

I just read the paper and it seems that the 'boys'..who survived and were with the teenage, are 19 and 23. Not little boys. According to the report, they also refused to cooperate with the authorities by giving their names to them - and the names still haven't been released as far as I know. The documents also indicate that the zoo was inspected including the walls, and there was no negative reporting done on it so it will be interesting to see where it all ends up.

BTW - I was using sarcasm when I said close the zoos - sammieswife.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

At fault is the same political correctness that says, "don't operate this electrical appliance under water" - IOW - "The world is sanitized for whatever insanity in which you choose to indulge." Political correctness has created an environment where people feel safe in thinking that they do not have to think (sound familiar?) because someone else has done all the thinking for them. In the real world - 'tease a tiger, get eaten by a tiger' - but in our enlightened world - 'tease a tiger, get eaten by a tiger, blame a zoo, sue a zoo' - which is exactly what will happen. But a young man has lost his life, a beautiful, rare animal is dead, no one learns anything, and the lawyers are the only winners.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Ah sarcasm, I tried that for a while but since I was the only one using it... ;-)

I think the main reason that these animals DON'T escape more often is that they are (for the most part) happy in there. The issue is that many of them are very capable of escaping from those enclosures if they get pissed off! The big cats (except the lions) in the Jax zoo have cage all the way around them so that they can't climb over.

I heard someone saying that possibly a door had been left open but are there any "doors" into the general zoo area from the enclosures? The Jax zoo doesn't have tigers but if I remember correctly the lions for instance only have access into a concrete block structure where they are fed. Inside the block house is cages that have doors in case the animals ever need to be removed or see a vet or whatever but are there also doors out in the main area? That does seem like a lack of redundancy. I would think some kind of double door airlock type structure would be better.

Has anyone been to the zoo recently that knows about that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit