Incompetent zoo keepers...

by Gregor 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Sad story at the SF zoo. A beautiful Siberian tiger escapes, kills one man and mauls two others. Then is shot and killed by police. What a cock up! I know zoos can perform a valuable service in preserving endangered species but I don't go very often because i always come away feeling down after seeing these creatures in what amounts to a jail.

• blondie
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That's what happens when you keep a natural born predator pent up. Eventually something has to give.

I've never understood Zoos. Seems like it is something that society should have rejected a long time ago... like slavery.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

That made the news over here this morning too.

They reckon the tiger managed to climb out of its enclosure rather than someone leaving a door open.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Absolutely tragic!

It's baffling, how did they not know something was wrong until "stumbling" upon the first victim, then "discovering" the other two in succession? Aren't these animals monitored in some way? It was already closing time when the zoo should be in the process of being secured. Thank God there weren't more fatalities.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Zoos also make me feel down. Animals should not live in cages. Not too mention the "behind the scenes" mistreatment and abuse that happen only too often.

No matter how this tiger managed to escape its enclosure...instinct and nature simply took over. Sad:-(

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    I've never understood Zoos. Seems like it is something that society should have rejected a long time ago... like slavery

While I'm not all for every zoo out there - there are many of the large zoo's that work very hard to ensure the continuation of some species of animals. If not for their breeding and security environments, some species of animals would be erased from the planet by indiscriminate hunting for sport or body parts, or by destruction of their natural habitat. Many zoo's also educate and inform the public, so that people are aware of the importance and beauty of all animals around the world. I've been watching this on the news and its tragic - but listening to Jack Hanna this morning, even he acknowledged that this is an animal - and he was acting like an animal. It's a sad accident. Now - what I can't stand are things like bear baiting, closed hunts where people get to stand in front of an animal and kill it cos its just there, shooting from planes, boats and any other machine while chasing the animal, cock fights, dog fights and animal circuses....but hey, that's just me! sammieswife.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Gregor, it appears that it was not "incompetent zookeepers" but cruel humans who precipitated this tragedy.

Several major news sources are reporting that the three men who were attacked were tormenting the animal, throwing things at it and so forth. The animal apparently acted in self defence, jumping the moat and scaling the wall to attack those that were threatening it.

If that is the case, then I have no sympathy for them. Their sensless cruelty resulted in the death of one and the mauling of two others, and the death of a beautiful large cat.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I had not heard that they were taunting the cat. It doesn't change the fact that the cats enclosure was fairly new and built for the large Siberian Tiger. This should have contained the cat regardless of provocation. Somebody miscalculated the ability of the tiger and this is ridiculous for people who are in the business and should know it's limits. Perhaps I should have said "Incompetent zoo designers". The keepers had nothing to do with it.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

It's Bush's Fault!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit