Incompetent zoo keepers...

by Gregor 45 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Apparently the cat was so agitated it jumped the moat. An act of super-strength that was not anticipated. No doors left open.

Almost like the 130-pound mother lifting a vehicle off her son trapped underneath - extraordinary circumstances leading to extraordinary power. If an animal was provoked to the point of blind rage, perhaps it could exceed the parameters designed to enclose it under ordinary circumstances. I believe there are signs posted in most zoos for this reason - "Do not tease the animals."

• grewupJWnoselfesteem78-95
    grewupJWnoselfesteem78-95

in australia we had a "wombat" escape and go on a violent rampage...... even attacking a family having a picnic !!!!

TRUE STORY ............................

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

MAYBE THE DINGO ATE YOUR BABY!!!!!

• avengers
    avengers

I have always hated zoos. Reminds me of jail, with the exception that when a human goes to jail they most of the time have done something to deserve it. These animals did nothing, but still get a lifetime sentence.

Andy

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Here's an interesting side twist.

Apparently so far, they believe that at least one of the 3 men was throwing stuff at the animal and it's believed that one of them either dangled himself or his legs into the pit teasing the tiger. They found a shoe and blood so far. Now - let's say that this is what happened - experts still say the animal could not have jumped the fence but it could have gotten out if assisted. So if the man was dangling himself in the enclosure to taunt the animal and the tiger got hold of the guys leg or pant leg - in theory, the tiger could have kept hold of the guy and they guy ended up pulling him up and over with him.

Now - if this is the case - and the kid who died was not the kid who put himself in the enclosure, but instead died trying to get the tiger off his buddy - that buddy who has survived could very well be charged with manslaughter. Like vehicular manslaughter - death through negligence but not intent since the tiger could not have escaped without the help of the person inside his enclosure.

sammieswife.

• moshe
    moshe

I visited the SF Zoo last summer and I was not impressed with this zoo. Then my family visited the beach and I had the misfortune to ask a local for directions- probably homeless, who could have been an escapee from a mental ward. Never a boring day in San Francisco.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    SOMEONE is to blame - whether it is the zookeepers or the zoo designers - for making it possible for the tiger to escape! The tiger should never have been able to do that. A 17-year-old boy and a tiger are both dead. This is truly tragic.

We don't know that he did escape without help because the investigation isn't complete.

Bottom line is this - the boys had choices - the animal didn't. The animal was in her own territory - the boys knowingly went into her territory. Right about now with all the stupidity out there and the lawsuits that will be jumped on - I'm for shutting all zoo's down to the public and keeping them open for breeding purposes only. That way - every child or parent can sleep well at night knowing their precious one is safe - and every child can grow up without ever seeing the beauty and magnificence of our creatures. They can look at a picture book and only dream of what those animals look like up close - or feel the fur or skin of those animals. But they'll be safe.

Designers or engineers make things based on available data with safety in design on the top of the priority list. Safety for the animal and the public. If they built to scope then they did nothing wrong - designs may have to be examined for weak links but there should be no lawsuit as an option. That is like saying the bunk beds I bought for my kids didn't come with a warning that told me my son would break his leg if he insisted on jumping from the top to the bottom therefore the design was poor or he wouldn't have gotten hurt. The person to blame is the person who (if it is found to be so) decided it was great fun to taunt a wild animal in the hopes he could challenge it and win. sammieswife.

It seems Sammie's Wife misinterpreted my words. I never said WHO was to blame. I said SOMEONE is at fault. It could have been the boys. Or not. I never said the tiger escaped WITH HELP; I said the tiger escaped. I said the tiger should not have been able to escape and that this whole thing is tragic. It seems that Sammie's Wife read a few news stories where they conjectured that the boys taunted the tiger and then concluded that the boys got what they deserved. I wonder why nobody was watching these boys supposedly dangle their legs over the enclosure and why nobody stopped them. Maybe somebody tried to stop them. Yes, they were stupid, but really you think one act of stupidity equals deserving to lose your lives? Then we should all be dead because we have all done something that hopefully we later regret once we put some thought into it. Besides, sarcasm or no, I was never even implying the zoos should be closed down. Somehow you read that into my post as well. I simply said there was clearly an error in design. And yes if the animal is able to escape, even because of blind rage, that is an error in design, in my opinion. If you are going to have wild animals kept like that, at least be able to keep them! Right or Wrong, Genuinely, GGBG

• juni
    juni

There was failure .... both for the Siberian tiger and the public. Sad story.

• Purza
    Purza
    I visited the SF Zoo last summer and I was not impressed with this zoo.

Believe it or not, the zoo as it is now is awesome -- compared to what it used to be. It was a total dump, but they have made some major renovations over the past 10 years and it has highly improved. That being said, I know it is still not very impressive.

I have been going to this zoo for 35+ years and this is the first time something like this has happened. If it is true and the tiger was being taunted, my heart goes out to the animal as it was only protecting its territory. My heart also goes out to the parents of the 17 year old boy.

I heard on the local SF news this morning that the two men in the hospital are not cooperating with police at this time. Sounds very strange and suspicious to me.

Purza

• donkey
    donkey

I am in 1000% agreement with HS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit