Let's Talk About NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS

by jayhawk1 31 Replies latest social family

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I'm having a little trouble with the ones that are copy protected

Depends on the tech you are using. Going generational with VHS will degrade quality, and the Macrovision will usually make the duped tape no better than what you are already getting. If you can spend about $100, I've had good results with the Dazzle video interface. I don't like the DVD authoring tools that come with the PC version, so I use the Dazzle to capture the video then create the DVD in Roxio or copy it to the Mac; the Dazzle Video for Mac is bare bones software that makes capture dead-easy, and I like Apple's iDVD for authoring most things - simple, and fast, and surprisingly good results.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

No, no New Year's resolutions. I accomplish everything I yearn to do, as a normal course of events...maybe I need to set my sights higher!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

1. Lose 20 pounds.
    2. Get super fit.
    3. Get and stay in a really great fitness/wellness program.
    4. Start eating super healthy food.

WAIT!! I ALREADY DID THAT IN 2007!!

Yeah man, Seeker4 is in great shape for 2008! Thank you P90X! What an awesome fitness program.

My only resolution is to bring the same committment, discipline and intensity to all of my life that I've brought to this fitness program.

Happy New Year to all!!

S4

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

VoidEater,

I am using an RCA VCR/DVDR to record my tapes into DVD+R format. All of my Disney tapes, for example, (for my girl) won't record due to copy protection. I also have some other recorder I tried hooking up to my Sony VCR, but it also gave me some message about not being able to record. Is it at least possible to record tape to another tape? Quality isn't a big issue, since many of these tapes are old and already have quality problems.

Is it worth a shot?

(I don't have a clue how to hook up a VCR to my PC.)

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Getting in shape and losing weight are good goals, and something I should try one of these days.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    10. Visit 10 museums

Now that sounds like fun! I have a similar goal. The wife and I have not been to the Eisenhower Presidential Library and there is a the Wichita Museum of World Treasures. We need to make that happen this year.

http://www.worldtreasures.org/index.php

http://www.eisenhower.utexas.edu/

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Hi Jayhawk:

Most (all generally available in USA) VHS playback equipment has built-in electronics to degrade or prevent the recording of commercial VHS tapes to other tapes or other media like DVD (the trade name is Macrovision). This is what makes duped tapes look dark, or cycle between high brightness to deep darkness.

The way it works is that the recording is processed with encoding that the playback hardware can see. The hardware in the VHS player then detects if what you are playing out to is a device capable of re-recording, and then degrades the quality if it sees another recording device "out there".

Some very old VHS players do not have Macrovision implemented (or at least not done well) and you can play commercial VHS on one of these machines while recording to another VHS - you'll get a non-Macrovisioned tape copy out of that. But finding an old (mid-80's RCA, for example) VHS machine without Macrovision can be hard - and you will also likely have to lose stereo sound, since many of these machines were not stereo capable. You can check out places like Goodwill or other thrift stores for older equipment that might fit the bill.

The other option that I would suggest would be the Dazzle video interface for your computer. Most are USB (some are firewire) based, so you take the device, plug one end into a USB port on your computer (most computers made in the past 5 years have USB ports as a rule), the plug the red/white/yellow "phono plugs" from your VHS player into the other end.

Fire up the recording program on the computer, and press play on the VHS player, and you're recording into your computer - creating a movie file. When that's done, press stop, and then use another program to convert the movie file to a DVD file. The Dazzles I've used have not had any Macrovision issues to deal with.

It's an act of love to go through the process, especially for a lot of tapes, but I've had good success in shrinking my VHS shelf space by converting to DVD.

Of course, no one should ever do this to undermine the copyright laws - I suggest this only so that people that own their media can convert it to a more practical format...

To be on my soapbox a little, this is easier to do on a Mac since the Dazzle makes use of basic provided software like iTunes to manage and view movie files...

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Thanks for that bit of info. Now I must see if my mother-in-law still has that old VCR.

Of course the tapes I'm trying to copy are for me and my family. I look at it this way, I paid for them damn tapes, so I own the right to view the content however long and as many times as I wish. But it is getting to the point that the tapes are wearing out and the media has changed to DVD. Manufacturers like Disney should not count on me to buy something again that I already paid for once. So I wish to take my already purchased copy and continue to use it.

By the way, in the past 2 days I've eliminated 26 tapes!

• tnangel73
    tnangel73

1.Lose weight.

2.Exercise More.

3.See number 1.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

1: Start exercising. (Not to lose weight, to develop muscles and stamina, as I have none of both.)

2: Learn Japanese.

3: Get a new job.

4: Leave the witnesses.

5: Start college preparations.

... I think I may need a longer year.

Lore - W.W.S.D?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit