Suicide attempt and I am heartbroken

by Iforget 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'm so sorry ((((((Iforget))))))

Fwiw: if you haven't seen him for years, maybe the best you can do for the time being is to be there and look at him and listen to him.

Suicide attempts are certainly a scream, sometimes a cry for help, rarely a cry for advice.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Just seeing the word "suicide" brings back many painful personal memories, and obviously for many others on this forum. I'm glad that the attempt failed.

Have you introduced him to JWD? This has proven to be better than Prozac for me.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Nothing more I can say that hasn’t already been said.

Feeling for you right now.

Sorry also for everyone else that has come into contact with this terrible thing. Heart goes out to all of you.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Iforget, this is a tough time of year for people with depression. Please let your brother know that you love him and are there for him. Do what you can but remember that the decision to live or not is his, not yours.

My father committed suicide almost five years ago. It was his second attempt. After the first attempt, my husband and I did everything we could to help him live. We arranged for hospitalization, a good doctor, medication, emotional support, a place to stay . . . but ultimately he decided that he didn't want to continue living. Yes, I lay the blame right at the feet of Jehovah's Witnesses, but my father made the choice to end his life and there was nothing I could do about it.

If you can get him to see a therapist or psychiatrist who has experience with people exiting a cult, that would be very helpful, but he has to be ready to accept that help.

Please let him know that he's not alone and he does have choices in his life. And let us know how he's doing and if we can help in any way.

Hugs,

Nina

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I understand your heartbreak and concern. I wish there was something I could say which would help you but for me right now the situation is too close to home. I think we all just need to reach out to those who are lost in their own world of hurt however we can.

Big hugs to you and your brother.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm so sorry, iforget and mouthy.

• grewupJWnoselfesteem78-95
    grewupJWnoselfesteem78-95

my uncle killed himself not long after being counselled in regards to the condition of his shoes by the elders at the kingdom hall..........he was truley searching for God and battling an addiction....

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Personally I would rather drop dead than see a counsellor or therapist without a moments hesitation and family who suggest this make me feel the same way about them. LOVE from family is most likely what's absent and no amount of high dollar detached humans can replace that. If you can give love and make a realemotional link to someone and show interest in how they feel and think then you are on the way to being thier best ever medicine. Then maybe a high dollar outsider can offer a little additional artificial, superficial entertainment as a distraction from the reality which always comes back but make no mistake the diamond mine lies with the love that he can hold onto. No disrespect to any proffesionals out there but if you are worth more than 2c an hour you know where I'm coming from!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

you'r right: it is a scream for help - but the ony yhing you can do is to tell him you love him.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

R. Crusoe .. A therapist can offer guidance that family cannot. True, the love and unconditional support from family is needed like nothing else. But a counsellor can help you in ways a familymember cannot. For example - say that you have problems with expressing your emotions (anger, love whatever). And a family member tells you that you can say whatever you wish to say .... Well that won't do you much good if you are unable to actually say what's bothering you (speaking from experience here). But a counsellor can help you identify your blockage, help you with it. Also, since they are independent they can reflect what you are saying without all the family drama. The only thing is - you need to have a good counsellor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit