Suicide attempt and I am heartbroken

by Iforget 44 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Iforget, you have a lot in common with my daughter. She, too, has a brother with deep problems. She, too, has it together and is building a lovely family for herself.

I like to think that my daughter and I have found the right balance of love and care for my son. He gets our love, our encouragement, hope always, and free advice. We have put limits, however, on how often he can call. Sometimes he has anxiety attacks and calls many times in the same night. For our own sanity, we have limits on that. It turns out that he is quite happy to stay within those limits, because his relationship with us is so important to him.

Outside of that, it's his life and he has to fix it.

• ronin1
    ronin1

Hi:

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Please remember that a person who decides to take their own life sees all their problems, faults, disappointments, failures, lack of love and lack of being loved as a sign of no way out. They view these issues through a tunnel that they feel they can never get out of.

I suffered from depression and the almost attempt to take my life many years ago. So I know what ut means and feels like to be that depressed to get to that point.

Our job as loving family members and friends is to help that person realize that there is an opening outside their tunnel of depression and that things will get better.

PM me if you want me to tell you how I actually got out of such a tunnel of depression and what I personally resolved to do so as not to find myself in that terrible emotional state again. It may be able to help your brother.

Ronin1

• Gordy
    Gordy

Been there done that.

Give him all the love and support you can. You can be sure he won't get any from any JW. That I know by experience.

• palexisls
    palexisls

am deeply sorry. i can feel how much pain everyone in your family must be going thru. try to be there as much as possible for him, suicide attempts are usually cries for help, so remember him how much he means to you and your family and friends. counseling would be of great help as well.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

(((((((((((((((((((Iforget))))))))))))))))))))

you have a PM

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit