COULD YOU HANDLE LIFE ALONE?

by Mary 47 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Women adjust better to widowhood than men.

changeling

• restrangled
    restrangled

I don't think anyone could ever replace my husband. We just had our 28th anniversary in November.

r

• PEC
    PEC

I could handle life alone. Would I want to? I don't know, I have a great wife, a soulmate. Seeing so many, unhappy married people, out there. I don't think, I could hit that jackpot twice. One thing I do know, is after taking care of all of the death related duties, I would get vasectomy. The last thing I need, is to accidentally, become a father and be stuck raising a child into my 60s-70s.

Philip

• Carmel
    Carmel

After nearly fifty years of marriage, I've been trained not to make such decisions alone. In the event Mrs. bit the dust, I'd have to consult with the dog, cat and seven fish before declaring myself eligible again. Not likely the feline and pup would be willing to share. Fishies, however, like to have someone around to feed them so it might come down to a split decision. carmel

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I'd have to consult with the dog, cat and seven fish before declaring myself eligible again. Not likely the feline and pup would be willing to share.

Sounds like me. My cockatoo, Rocco, won't even tolerate my sisters visiting for more than 20 minutes before he starts acting up. The only time he ever bites me is when someone is visiting. I shudder to think of how he'd be if I actually had a relationship with someone.

W

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

We been together for 25 years. I am so happy with him , Its to hard to find a man that is compatible with me.

• delilah
    delilah

God forbid, should anything happen to my husband, but yes. I could handle things alone. I raised my daughter alone for 7 years, so I know what it's like.

Would I want to be alone? No.

Would I remarry? I dunno....cross that bridge IF I ever come to it. At this point, I'd say no.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

dunno... you can't plan things like those. though i wouldn't marry JW (quick and dirty) style again.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Yup, I could and I have. Better to be alone than unhappy with the wrong person, IMO. But I think after 40 or 60 years of a happy marriage, I probably wouldn't remarry, I would consider myself very lucky to have had that and probably focus my time on doing things I always wanted to do and never got around to, enjoying my grandchildren, etc. (Maybe a friend with benefits though, hehe, ya know old people still need luvin too!)

But, being single for 3 years now, I know I could stay single and be perfectly ok, in fact, finding someone who is the right fit, is not easy. I would prefer however, at this stage in my life to find someone to share it with. I miss all the wonderful parts of being in a relationship, but unless its the right fit for me, I would rather be single. The great thing about being single, is the possibilities are there, to meet new people, explore life in a way you can't when you are settled down with someone. If its the right someone though, the benefits outweigh any negatives.

I need my alone time, my space, hey I am an aquarius, smother us and we aren't happy campers, lol. Give us our space and we are as loyal as they come. Finding that balance is not easy. So, until I find someone who gets it, I dont' see myself settling down again, as much as I would like to find that person, it has to be right, otherwise, why bother?

I know for a fact that when one of my parents passes, the other will never re-marry. They are the loves of each other's lives, best friends. It will be hard for either of them to go on alone, but I know without a doubt, my father could never replace my mom and my mother could never replace him. They wouldn't have the desire to start over with someone new. They have been married over 40 years and truly are two halves of a circle with each other. I noticed alot of people mentioned the men seem to be able to move on better.

Not the case with my dad, he would be lost without my mom and I know undoubtly no woman could ever fill her shoes in his eyes. The cult upbringing aside, I grew up with what I would call as close to a perfect marriage as possible as an example. Like PEC said he won the jackpot, that is something my dad would say about my mom.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I think I could handle life alone but it certainly is more enjoyable with my spouse and I'd really be lonely. But I'm sure I wouldn't get married again, 1 time is plenty for me. I'd date and have a "friend" but I wouldn't want to start all over with someone new.

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit