COULD YOU HANDLE LIFE ALONE?

by Mary 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

If you mate died suddenly or left you, could you handle life alone? Would you remain single or get married again? I ask this because my brother in law's Witness mom just died recently, and we're wondering how his dad is going to handle life alone now. They were married for almost 60 years, so naturally this is a huge shock to his system.

Of course, his wife is barely cold when all the vultures at the KH begin to circle. It can be tough for someone on their own for the first time in his life and I just wondered what your thoughts on this were.

• oompa
    oompa

Yes, especially if that old. But especially if you have money and are younger you will not be able to or want to. Old flames and friends of friends will be sending photos, calling at all hours from odd time zones, giving you surprise soft to wet kisses..............oompa

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Oh, no. No way. Not without my sweet B____.

• juni
    juni

For myself, I wouldn't want to get married again. Definitely spend good times w/someone.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My parents separated after 33 years of marriage. My mom seemed to be content by herself. She was probably relieved to get out of a bad marriage. My dad remained a womanizer until his death at 81.

I'm divorced after 16 years of marriage. I've been alone for 4 years now, and have no desire to change that. It's nice to come to a peaceful home after work and not have someone on my back for the rest of the day.

It would probably be a lot harder for someone who had a good marriage.

W

• yknot
    yknot

I think this is more a gender question.

My grandmother is a widow, has been for over a decade, never batted an eye at anyone since.

My grandfather is technically a widower but considers himself single and looking

Women live longer without men, men live longer with women.

I personally would wait many years before pursuing a serious relationship as I have small children. I had unpleasant experiences with step parents and would quickly give any marriages the heave-ho if my children were unhappy. (lol I could see it now..... by 50 I would be on my 7th marriage)

It also depends on whether the person "can't be alone".

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

If I had been married for 60 years I probably wouldn't bother getting married again, but I would still like to have a partner. Being a part of a couple for that long would be hard to give up. That being said, seeing as how I'm only 29, if my husband were to die now I would probably re-marry. Why be alone if you don't have to be?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

so far so good. I like coming home at night to my nice peaceful home - but I spend my whole day talking to people, problem solving, answering questions...it feels nice to be quiet. But I could be lonely if I thought about it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I love my wife, I love being married. If she were to pass away,
    I would be cruising the JWD and Apostafests for a new mate.
    Mary, send me a photo if that happens.

Well, just to save time- send it now.

• changeling
    changeling

As devastated as I'd be, I think I would eventually adjust. I think I'd get used to the independance and not remarry. But, who knows?

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit