E-mail from friend alerting me to emergency instruction from GB

by Wasanelder Once 61 Replies latest jw experiences

• mind my own
    mind my own

That makes me angry! They are just so brainwashed! One more thing they put into place to make people think the end is right around the corner...the ones that are loosing faith or becoming more lax in their worship may be whipped into a frenzy once again. Rubbish!!

MMO

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    During Katrina and the other hurricane that followed we got a call from a book study conductor to get our contact info. I asked them then if there was to be a meeting place if we had a disaster happen. he said no, they just want to know where we are at. I also asked if the rather large assembly hall in a city abut 30 miles from here could be used as a place for victims and he said no the wts is not providing any shelters.

Wow, that's crazy, how can he even say that without feeling guilty?

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I think it all comes down to, you can't sell the apocalipse without apocaleptic fear....

• wednesday
    wednesday

mind your own

really the wts does not give a c*ap about anyone. this is not a fire drill or the End. . they are not going to feed anyone of shelter anyone, it is just for their bookkeeping.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    I also asked if the rather large assembly hall in a city abut 30 miles from here could be used as a place for victims and he said no the wts is not providing any shelters.

Wasn't there a letter to the congregations that said that Kingdom Halls should never be used in an emergency? Something about insurance? You'd think Jehovah would protect the Kingdom Hall from storm damage. I find it appalling that they don't use the KHs as shelters. Even if they don't want the KH tainted by worldly people and evil apostates they could at least let the JWs go there.

When I was a kid I was always told that we would be able to hide in the Kingdom Hall during Armageddon. In fact, one brother told me that the KH didn't have windows so that we wouldn't have to look at the horrible destruction and dead bodies at Armageddon. So where are the Witnesses supposed to go now? Or is it just every man for himself?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Okay... I've done a little digging about this and it seems it MAY be a response to the following January 2007 Kingdom Ministry article :

Are You Prepared for a Natural Disaster?
    1. Why is it prudent to be prepared for disasters?

Each year, millions of people around the world, including many of our brothers and sisters, are affected by earthquakes, tsunamis, monsoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods. Since natural disasters occur unexpectedly and could affect any of us, it is the course of wisdom to be prepared.—Prov. 21:5.

2. Why should we keep the elders informed of our current address and telephone number(s)?

In Advance: Sometimes the authorities are able to warn of impending disasters. It is important to pay attention to those warnings. (Prov. 22:3) In such situations the elders will try to contact all in the congregation to help them to make necessary preparations. After a disaster, the elders will also endeavour to contact all who are associated with the congregation to see if they are safe and to discern what assistance may be needed. Valuable time can be lost if the elders do not have up-to-date contact information. So it is good for publishers to keep the secretary and their book study overseer informed of their current address and telephone number(s).

3. How may we cooperate with the elders if we live in a disaster-prone area?
    If the congregation is located in a disaster-prone area, the elders may ask publishers to provide the name and telephone number of a relative or friend who does not live in the vicinity and who should be contacted in case of an emergency. This will enable the elders to locate those who have evacuated. The elders may also wish to develop a contingency plan for the congregation that includes such things as a simple checklist of emergency supplies to keep on hand, evacuation arrangements, and plans for assisting those with special needs. Cooperation with these loving arrangements is important.—Heb. 13:17.

4. What should we do if a disaster strikes in our area?
    After a Disaster: What should you do if a disaster strikes in your area? Make sure that your family's immediate physical needs are cared for. As you are able, give necessary assistance to others who have been affected. Endeavour to contact your book study overseer or another elder as soon as possible. This should be done even if you are safe and do not need help. If you need assistance, be assured that your brothers are making every effort to help you. (1 Cor. 13:4, 7) Remember that Jehovah is aware of your situation; rely on him to sustain you. (Ps. 37:39; 62:8) Be alert to opportunities to provide spiritual and emotional support to others. (2 Cor. 1:3, 4) Resume your theocratic routine as soon as possible.—Matt. 6:33.

5. How are we as Christians affected by the threat of disaster?

While the threat of disaster causes the world much anxiety, we can look to the future with confidence. Soon all disasters will be a thing of the past. (Rev. 21:4) In the meantime, we can take reasonable steps to prepare for times of trouble and difficulties as we maintain our zeal in declaring the good news to others.

It also seems that this may be more of an issue to disaster prone areas, hence there doesn't seem to be a national / international form for this.
    It seems that it has been left to individual congregations to sort this out.

I have just received a SAMPLE form for this.

alt

alt

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Is this for real? They are really expecting the sheep to do this? Or is this just invented? Nothing runs deeper than paranoia for them, so I don't doubt it really.

I PERSONALLY HAVE FILLED A FORM IN AND HANDED IT TO MY CBSO - YES IT IS FOR REAL

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Stilla, did the form that you completed look anything like the one that I've just posted ?

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes stilla

They got our info during Katrina. as i was told it was just more or less a bookkeeping issue, ie, where are the publishers.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I dont recall my form looking like that - NO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit