Self Deceit and Faith.

by hillary_step 208 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Does that make you a skeptic? Lets throw a party! Woot!

Question everything BA.

Preaching to the choir, bro.

BA- Skeptic.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Would you characterize yourself as having faith in God or faith in the concept of God?

I guess both?

Go swallow your tail Nvrgnbk.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BurnTheShips,

So we agree finally!

No we are not agreeing. You claim in a number of posts that you can provide "evidence" of the existence of a God. Despite your much repeated claim you have never done so, despite dodging and weaving like a used car salesman.

For your information, a "concept" believe it or not, is just an abstract idea, that is all. No more no less. My suggestion that the "concept" of God is a given in such debates lends no weight to your theological position. In all your arguments to date, you start with a conclusion, that is that evidence exists that reasonably establishes the existence of "God" and then you try to force concepts and "evidence" to suit this conclusion.

I doubt that you will ever change this methodology. It is one based on intellectual dishonesty, something well known to those who cannot surmount the scientific methods of belief.

Or are you doublespeaking? I have seen your wordplay and semantics juggling before to get yourself ou of cramped spots.

I think the diffence between you and I is that I know what words mean and you do not.

I am calling you a liar and ask for you to present what evidence you have for your bolded statement. I know that evidence is a word that means many things to religionists like yourself, apart or course from its true meaning, but I am calling you on this now.

HS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    The archaeopteryx did change. It changed into a modern bird.

More begging the question.

You can line up the fossils any way you like, yet there exist more than one conclusion as to whether all birds have a common ancestor. There is no proof that the sparrow descended from the archaeopteryx, only a speculative (and perhaps pre-conceived) conclusion.

BA

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I think the diffence between you and I is that I know what words mean and you do not.

Well, I humbly petition your indulgence sir. Once I know everything, I may begin to aspire to belong to the atheist ranks as your own lofty self does.

I am calling you a liar and ask for you to present what evidence you have for your bolded statement. I know that evidence is a word that means many things to religionists like yourself, apart or course from its true meaning, but I am calling you on this now.

The spanking thread.

Burn

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

I wonder in the middle of all this whether someone, apart from Void Eater, might actually answer my questions.

For example, BA and BurnThe Ships, what is your answer to this question:

2) Is a person who has faith in a God that you do not believe in, say for example Siva, practicing a form of self-deception?

HS

• BurnTheShips
  • Dansk
    Dansk

Nvr:

Please keep in mind that many that do not have faith in the existence of God would very much like to.

I'm liking you more and more

I would give anything for the proof of God to be realised - but it hasn't been and is unlikely ever to be. One cannot prove the unprovable but, as Dawkins said, we can be 99% sure God doesn't exist.

It is my belief that people believe in God (have faith to keep the thread on track) primarily because they "feel/think/are fearful" regarding him lest something evil should befall them. It is difficult to accept that death is the end.

Is death the end? I don't believe so - but I don't believe I need God, either. We work out our own salvation and every action causes a reaction. I believe in Karma. Is it because I'm afraid of being annihilated? Well, having been so close to death and actually asking for death to take me, I don't believe I am. One thing's for sure, I'll find out when I die................................................or will I?

Ian

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BurnTheShips,

The spanking thread.

Not good enough. Provide evidence. I am calling you on this.vPlease do not clutter this thread with your childish nonsense. Start another thread outlining your accusations and providing evidence for your claims.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You are too easily offended HS.

Instead of looking down on me so much try looking up for a change. Maybe you'll see God.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit