Self Deceit and Faith.

by hillary_step 208 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    100% agreement. My evidence says, "God abandoned me". "God denied me basic needs". "God ignored my prayers". "God introduced massive inconsistencies into the Bible and threw a veil over the translating of His work". "God picked an orbit of the sun, out of many he could have; he chose an axis of the Earth that leaves large sections uncomfortable or uninhabitable".

Seems to me like God left off part of the work so that we could share in the joy of creating.

Unfortunately, we have largely abdicated. But we are moving in the right direction.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Nothing supernatural about that realization. It's purely naturalistic.

Nvrgnbk, based on your own reasoning, presumably your own cognition is also purely naturalistic.

If so it is presumably subject to, and it developed from, the blind indifferent forces of evolution.

If so it "cares" not if it can properly aprehend truth, its only role is survival. Truth is immaterial, survival is everything.

If that is the case, how can you trust your own thoughts/reason as a guide to truth?

As for me, I am in the "image of God", the source of truth. I can trust my cognition a bit more than you can.

Burn

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    presumably your own cognition is also purely naturalistic.

It is.

My thinking is the sum of my genetics and every idea, thought, and bit of intellectual stimuli my brain has been exposed to up until this moment.

Truth?

Another word for the clearest possible perception and understanding of reality?

I'm cool with reality.

Truth is good too though.

Which god are you referring to as the source of truth?

We never seem to pin that down.

• Liberty
    Liberty

Having a clear understanding of reality is very important to survival.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Having a clear understanding of reality is very important to survival.

I think you may be onto something, Liberty.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Leo,

I would question on philosophical grounds whether one could assert objectively that (abstract) faith can be equated with self-deceit or irrationality when the latter involves other people's subjectivities which generally lie outside objective inquiry. Self-deceit may be inferred from objective evidence generated by a person's subjectivity (i.e. "etic" evidence of another's experience), and indeed self-deceit is inimical to its own recognition in the mind of someone who experiences it, but neither is it possible to know whether a person has access to "emic" knowledge (such as what a person knows from his/her own experience) that is not available to the observer for evaluation.

Yes, I understand this viewpoint, but where I would part company, and not on a philosophical but empirical level is where a person believes as a result of faith", in a reality that requires more than the concept of a god, hence my second question. Faith becomes measurable against common social experience and historical development.

As I noted, this may show itself in such reasoning:

A god may exist. My faith instructs me that it is a god that cares about me personally. I offer in evidence the fact that I prayed to god to help me beat my opponent in tennis and I won. One statement is based on a philosophical, or abstract concept, the other on a personal conviction. One cannot be proved or disproved, the other can be measured against common experience. It just so happened that I practiced harder than my opponent.

For example, the existence of a god cannot be proved by evidential means, regardless of the claims made by religionists to the contrary. In such discussions the "evidence" of faith and its appendages are soon manifest. It is these appendages to the 'concept' of god that can and do lead to self-deceit.

I am not here discussing the philosophical concept of god. I am here discussing the appendages that are attached to such a belief.

I do not mean to imply that emic evidence that is phenomenologically present is necessarily "real" (cf. Searle's phenomenological illusion), nor is it valid as evidence used to empirically establish objective factual knowledge, but I feel that it should be openly recognized that the premise of the OP (i.e. that faith is necessarily a result of self-deceit) attempts to designate a group of people as subjects -- not from any objective position but from another subjective point of view.

I am glad that you are not implying such Leo. Philosophy is not a scientific discipline and part of the concept of phenomenological "realities", depends on the progress of a directional mind for which measurement of direction has to rely on scientific or social measurement. Apart from this it can only rest in the realms of the mystical, possible and probable until it is underlined by empirical evidence.

I think that much can be shown regarding the thinking of those who have had their "faith" proved in my question regarding whether a believer in one god might view the believer in another god as a victim of self deception.

Those that have been brave enough to answer the question BA and BurnTheShips have provided the following answers, both of which I am sure you will agree are logically flawed:

I already answered this truthfully in my first reply on this thread, but it went over your head. The only truthful answer to the question is "time will tell" who has been decieved, by themselves or others, and who has been correct.

BA seems to be expecting a Biblical judgement day at which time this question will be answered. His faith is measured by his belief in the words of a book. No phenomenological objectivity neccessary. His faith can be measured against the statements in books. When they fail, as they have on numerous occasions, at that moment his faith becomes self-deceit. What he is not prepared to do is answer the question himself.

HS- Is a person who has faith in a God that you do not believe in, say for example Siva, practicing a form of self-deception?
    BTS - Yes--up to a point.

BurnTheShips, as ever the more honest of the two is prepared to comment, as usual without explanation as to why he believes that those who adhere to a god not of his making are "up to a point" self-deceived. I am sure that he will explain. ;)

Cheers Leo - HS

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Seems to me like God left off part of the work so that we could share in the joy of creating.

That says wonderful things about humanity.

• 5go
    5go

Hi 5go.

Which theology in particular 5go? I don't think "my" theology is disproven, but maybe you meant unproven?

The Bible does not appear to me to get close to what we currently "know" about the origins. I think my point is that it was dealt with in a manner consistent with the knowledge of people of that time while pointing to certain truths that are still valid.

As for the poster you respond to,

No, sorry if the bible is to claim authorship by the one creator it must then give an account verifiable by other means (science). The bible clearly does not relate anything close a correct account of creation. So it must not be from the creator but from men who know nothing of the creator, or how he works.

Yes, Unproven in that theist haven't proven anything other than they can appeal to tradition; and Disproved in that Christian theist theories of creation, and nature are just that disproved.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

I would also state, as I have done on numerous occasions that I am not a rabid atheist, but a reluctant disbeliever. I would like nothing more than to believe in a loving God who has some sort of universal purpose. My problem is that the more I interact with believers, the less I believe.

Little Toe and a past poster Ros, are two people who can easily move in and out of their paradigm of belief with attractive ease.

The loonie fundies, who have moved a bare squeak from WTS thinking and who regularly fill the Board with their narrow-minded drivel, make more atheists than a North Korean internment camp.

If they want to do a good service for their God, they would be well advised to widen their concepts a little. My first suggestion would be for them to read Martin Palmer's "Living Christianity". Palmer can see a much bigger picture than ancient writings, but no doubt would be viewed with disdain by many "true believers".

HS

• 5go
    5go

Little Toe and a past poster Ros, are two people who can easily move in and out of their paradigm of belief with attractive ease. The loonie fundies, who have moved a bare squeak from WTS thinking and who regularly fill the Board with their narrow-minded drivel make more atheists than a North Korean internment camp.

HS

AMEN!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit