Self Deceit and Faith.

by hillary_step 208 Replies latest jw friends

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

> Go wash your mouth out with soap!

ah, LT, i think you're actually an atheist too, you just want to have your fun with us.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

I thought I carried it out in small quanta? It seems reasonable to me, if you have the right assumptions.

No small quanta involved, but a giant step for noodlekind. ;)

How about relating your miraculous assumptions to the concept of a god? I would be interested to read them, my embryonic athiest friend. ;)

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

We'll talk about my immaculate assumption another time, friend. I am feeling mentally lazy this Friday. :-)

Burn

• Vinny
    Vinny

Hilary says:..."Burn is not frightened of research, as are Vinny and BA."

***** You just gotta love Hilary!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    ***** You just gotta love Hilary!

<---- Vinny and BA looking for paradise. ;)

HS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Superfine:LOL - always having fun, my friend. Laughter makes the world go round... and then you die!

Burn:
    I'm not attacking your core beliefs, but to be scientific about it you are starting with a rake of assumptions before leading yourself off towards a pre-determined outcome. Each and any of the steps that you iterate might be false. God may not care, may not interfere with human affairs, may not have given any direction to sentient life at all. Each of these are assumptions and beliefs based on whatever you hold as true or have faith in. I happen to agree with some of your conclusions, but I have to simultaneously confess that the line of reasoning is weak.

I would suggest that the whole point of this thread is likely sat upon that foundation - the fact that many people (and in context, specifically those holding to the tenets of one religion or other) use weak reasoning based on "facts" that have a subjective weight often only meaningful to the individual making the argument. Part of the delusion is in believing that others see the world the same way are we do, when the realitiy is more akin to us all having our own individual filters and interpretations.

Whether we "believe" or not, we are all subject to a similar delusion. Recognising it is only a portion of the answer.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Hilary, could you at least point BA and me towards the island?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Vinny,

Hilary, could you at least point BA and me towards the island?

If yourself and BA were on an Island there would indeed be a miracle, but not of the gentle variety. People would have to figure out how two people alone on an island each managed to decapitate the other. ;)

HS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Is that like the riddle of a dead man in the middle of a snowy field, with no footprints to or from the body?

Ooops, forgot to mention the parachute, my bad!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    the island

indeed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit