Self Deceit and Faith.

by hillary_step 208 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hillary:

I was here discussing religious self-deceit and I am glad to see that you broadly agree with me over this matter.

I certainly do. Its the accoutrements that cause all the arguments, and always has been. For example, I have my own reasons for holding to the theological tenets of the "trinity" insofar as my biblical belief-set goes. In experiential terms I would refine that and hold "Christ" as being the public face of God. However I just shake my head at the folks who argue that a good understanding of the Trinity is a basic requirement for salvation. It has been a bone of contention for the last 1600 years and is one that evidences no clear and unequivocal statement from the first Century. Maybe all those martyrs died for nothing, huh?

Several times I've quoted CS Lewis, regarding keeping a completely open mind regarding the "salvation" of people of other faiths (or none).

SuperfineApostate:

i predict "burntheships" will be an atheist 2 years from now

They suggested such nonsense to me several times over the last six years, but here I still am, believing as strongly as ever. To be candid I feel that such comments are incredibly ignorant and condescending. Go wash your mouth out with soap! Seratonin: I disagree with the multiple definitions concept, on the following basis. When a scientific subject is being discuss we should use scientific definitions. Likewise when discussing spirituality we should at least attempt to understand some theological parley. Unfortunately the WTS educated us with neither. I would suggest that if we can't be clear about what we're talking about we should probably consult a dictionary or hold our tongues. In this instance I agree with the definition of a theory that you posted. When I look at the facts (especially artifacts) they line up nicely in accordance with the evolution theory, to me and countless others. They also probably wouldn't be teaching it in schools if they weren't pretty sure about it. Unlike BA and the WTS I don't ascribe to the idea that "theory" means "unproven concept". The word for that is "hypothesis" and evolution is far beyond the hypothesis stage. Anyhow, regarding evolution and this thread, "that's about all I've gotta say about that".

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tij:
    ROFL

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Burn the ships your avatar looks suspiciously like a Lithium atom

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Most Cubans are atheists anyway.

Get with the programa, Burn.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Its the atheist symbol Stilla. Only I replaced the "A" with the Trinity symbol. Trinity is also the site of the worlds first nuclear blast.

But I get your jibe. ;-)

Burn

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Burn:

You admit that God could exist. It's his noodly appendages you object to. However, it is reasonable to suppose that if God exists, miracles are possible. Presumably God would certainly have the means to interact with the world we experience and it is quite possible that he has the motives. If God created the universe (and us) he would presumably have an interest in it-and us. It is reasonable that this would furnish prime motivation for performing miraculous events.

I love the "noodly appendages comment, however there's no reason that each of those statements should naturally follow each other. For example consider the beliefs of the Deist.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

tijkmo,

I can't be sure what I'll be in 2 years, and you can't either. However, what makes you two think that? Just curious.
    faith !!

lol....Not exactly and this is where the process of measurement shows its superority over "faith". The answer to Burn's question is actually contained in LT's post here:

I love the "noodly appendages comment, however there's no reason that each of those statements should naturally follow each other. For example consider the beliefs of the Deist .

It is obvious from the posts that BurnTheShips has made the past few weeks he is at the start of a learning process. For example, as quoted above LT concluded that Burn has not considered the beliefs of a Deist. I have concluded from our encounters that his knowledge of the evolution and formation of religious ideas from the primitives onwards is very limited. There is no shame here, as most of us were totally ignorant of such knowledge at one time and many stll are. So this is not a criticism of Burn but an observation made from his posts. Burn may follow in the spiritual footsteps of a person such as LT, but I have yet to see any signs of this. When Robert King (You Know / Ewatchman) posted on this Board I suggested to him that he would be disfellowshipped from the JW's within two years. He covered me in zealous spittle for my pains. It took three years but he was disfellowshipped. The signs of his path were clear from his posts. Burn is not frightened of research, as are Vinny and BA. In my experience those with the weakest faith shout the loudest. Okay, I will shut my faith now. ;) HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

You admit that God could exist. It's his noodly appendages you object to.

lol....Well, I do not object to any "noodly appendages". I am making observations on 'noodly appendages' and their source, that is all.

However, it is reasonable to suppose that if God exists, miracles are possible.

You are making a quantum leap in logic here. I do not see that the concept of God or the concept of miracles are neccessarily related.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

LittleToe

Thanks for the Deism link. I was not aware of some of the more subtle variations on the theme.

You are making a quantum leap in logic here. I do not see that the concept of God or the concept of miracles are neccessarily related.

I thought I carried it out in small quanta? It seems reasonable to me, if you have the right assumptions.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Several times I've quoted CS Lewis, regarding keeping a completely open mind regarding the "salvation" of people of other faiths (or none).

C.S. Lewis was the coup de grace for me. After Mere Chritianity I became a Trinitarian, and my exit from the Tower was hastened. I am certain he is in a wonderful place right now, God bless him.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit