Godless souls

by Aleman 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aleman
    Aleman

Hello again!

I never thought that so many are believers of a godless life. I would like to know, because I just don't understand, how anyone can live life feeling God does not and can not exist?

-Aleman

• PEC
    PEC

We are the enlightened, we have the truth.

Philip

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi Aleman. I tend to understand how you feel. I feel the same way. There will be some godless here shortly to explain themselves I am sure. I think the horrible experience in the Watchtower and wasted time there has embittered many here.

You just gave me an idea for a new thread. thanks.

Burn

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Not bitter.

How are things, oh great godly Aleman?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Sometimes it gets a bit cold in the winter, but I can just put on a sweater.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    I never thought that so many are believers of a godless life. I would like to know, because I just don't understand, how anyone can live life feeling God does not and can not exist?

Easy.

Just as easy as not believing in Santa

• Liberty
    Liberty

Welcome Aleman,

I could no longer live comfortably with the thought that an omniscient and omnipotent God could create a Universe of such random and horrific cruelty. Other major problems I had concerned the illogic of the Bible. Once I no longer accepted that the Bible was the word of God I realized that even if there was a God He had not bothered to communicate with us in any way and that we were left to figure it all out on our own.

In short, I just sleep better knowing that the Universe is random and cruel because there is no intelligence behind it rather than a conscious and insane evil.

I studied science at University and came to appreciate the scientific method, skepticism, observation, and the application of reason to observation as opposed to religious superstition. I came to understand the real truth behind evolution. I developed a greater knowledge of History, Geology, and Astronomy which most Christan Fundies can't even imagine. At the University I was also exposed to fellow scholars from nonchristian cultures and their opinions. All of these learning experiances presented me with a healthier and wider world view than I ever had as a JW.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Easy.

Just as easy as not believing in Santa

Could not have said it better than that Eclipse.

• poppers
    poppers

Are you here to plant some more "booby traps" Aleman? Still gathering "research"? Have you gotten dunked yet? Probably not, after all, it's been what, 2 months now that you've studied with the dubs?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Rather than comfort myself with a possibly-non existent fairytale deity figure (note -- I said "possibly"), I choose to believe in and find the goodness in what I see and that for which there exists irrefutable evidence. The idea of "God" doesn't pass the test (for me, anyhow).

I find goodness in humanity and in nature, and I fully enjoy it.

I believe people want God to be there for times of trouble, or to have a comforting notion that there is life after death and God makes it possible.

If there is life after death, I will embrace it and deal with the reality of it -- if it happens. If there is a loving God (as some religions teach), and if he created us with the capacity to reason and have doubts, I'm sure such a God would not penalize for using my power of reason and doubting things that believers say. In fact, such a God would probably commend me for trying to reason things out rather than "faking" a belief.

But for now, since I'm not a God-believer, I will put all my energy into making the life that I know have, this one now, the very best I can for me and my friends and loved ones. I will not wait for a "next life" to try to achieve my potential and get the most from life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit