Advocating Destruction of Religion Hate Speech?

by writetoknow 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Introduction

In 1942, the Supreme Court sustained the conviction of a Jehovah's witness who addressed a police officer as a "God dammed racketeer" and "a damned facist" (Chaplinksy v. New Hampshire). The Court's opinion in the case stated that there was a category of face-to-face epithets, or "fighting words," that was wholly outside of the protection of the First Amendment: those words "which by their very utterance inflict injury" and which "are no essential part of any exposition of ideas."

In 1988, the Supreme Court considered a jury award of damages against Hustler Magazine for publishing a malicious and untrue story about Rev. Jerry Falwell. The piece, labeled in small print "a parody," stated that Falwell's first sexual encounter was with his mother while drunk in an outhouse. A Virginia jury concluded that the Hustler piece constituted "intentional infliction of emotional distress" and awarded $150,000 to Falwell. The Supreme Court unanimously reversed the award, saying that it saw no principled basis for distinguishing the Hustler article from hard-hitting political cartoons and other speech clearly worthy of First Amendment protection. The Court distinguished the sort of character assassination practiced by Hustler from the face-to-face insult threatening an immediate breach of the peace that was in issue in Chaplinsky.

American Booksellers involved a First Amendment challenge to an Indianapolis civil rights ordinance that made it a crime to distribute materials that depicted women as "sexual objects for domination, conquest, or use." The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals invalidated the ordinance calling it "thought control." The Court ruled that the First Amendment gives government no power to establish "approved views" of various subgroups of the population.

R. A. V. considered a challenge to a St. Paul ordinance punishing the placement of certain symbols that were "likely to arouse anger, alarm, or resentment on the basis of race, religion, or gender." Robert Victoria, a teenager, had been convicted of violating the ordinance after having been found to have burned a cross on the yard of a black family. The Court, in an an opinion by Justice Scalia, reversed R. A. V.'s conviction on the ground that the ordinance unconstitutionally criminalized some hurtful expression (specifically that aimed at racial and religious minorites) and not other hurtful expression (that aimed at other unprotected groups) based on the political preferences of legislators. Scalia makes clear that "fighting words" is not, as Chaplinsky had suggested, a category of speech that is wholly outside of First Amendment protection.

A year after R. A. V., the Supreme Court unanimously upheld, in Wisconsin v. Mitchell, a statute that imposed stiffer sentences for racially-motivated assaults than for other types of assaults. The Court reasoned that the statute did not violate the First Amendment because it was aimed primarily at regulating conduct, not speech.

In Virginia v Black (2003), the Court divided on the question of whether a state could prohibit cross burning carried out with the intent to intimidate. A majority of the Court concluded that, because cross-burning has a history as a "particularly virulent form of intimidation," Virginia could prohibit that form of expression while not prohibiting other types of intimidating expression. Thus, the majority found the cross-burning statute to fall within one of R. A. V.'s exceptions to the general rule that content-based prohibitions on speech violate the First Amendment. Nonetheless, the Court reversed the Virginia cross-burner's conviction because of a jury instruction that might produce convictions of cross-burners whose motivation was ideological--and not an attempt to arouse fear. Justice Thomas dissented, arguing that cross-burning is conduct, not expression, and therefore its suppression does not raise serious First Amendment issues.

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Where does a person or group cross that line between adding new ideas and hate speech? There is much hate towards religion today being advocated on the internet at what point does this speech become hate speech?

Many seem to think all hateful speech towards religion is allowed because religion is deserving of that type of talk.

Personally I don't think it should be allow against any group even if the current trend makes hate speech acceptable.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I am with the Hate Speech Advocacy Group.

We find your hatred of hate speech to be hateful and are seeking protection from your tirades from the ACLU.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Most certainly if "hate speech" is criminal, then it should be across the board, including such speech directed at Christians. Otherwise one ends up creating privileged classes based on arbitrary standards and discriminates against a particular class.

Think about it.

Forscher

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It is important, Forscher.

The question becomes...

Is there a difference between hate speech and blasphemy?

Blasphemy is used in the Judeo-Christian Bible to mock false, impotent, non-existent deities.

The lack of response from said deities was pointed to as proof of their non-existence.

If the tables are turned and the Judeo-Christian deity is similarly "called out", is that offensive?

Why not let him have his say?

One thing that's interesting about the biblical challenges of pagan deities is that no provision or allowance was made for them to prove their godship at some moment decades, centuries, or millenia in the future. If they were silent in the face of the challenge, this was pointed to as evidence of their inferiority, impotence, not being real, etc.

• restrangled
    restrangled

btt so that other can respond.

r.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

So, does this mean that Jehovah's Witnesses are guilty of hate speech when they distribute the "End of False Religion is Near" brochure? When they preach that ALL religion is false and Satanic?

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

The defining point is does it add to the idea or is it just hate? If it is words the incite a person to fight it seem it is hate speech?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I think it's sad, very sad, that Rev. Jerry Falwell can't "read" his Hustler magazine without "suffering emotional stress".

I'm not a legal expert, but I think libel laws would penalize anyone making direct false statements. And anyone that employs 'hate speech' in relation to any harm toward the subject, should be somehow charged as an accomplice in any related 'hate crimes'.

Okay, I said the first line because I thought it was funny, I used the second paragraph to try sounding smart, and I really wanted to use the word "penalize" today. teehehe

• avishai
    avishai

I've been the victim of an actual hate crime. I've also had alot of "hate speech" thrown my way. NOT THE SAME THING!! Legislating "thought crimes" is bullshit. Legislating "hate speech" is also BS. Wehave laws already against inciting riot's, slander, defamation of character etc. already. Adding hate speech is just censorship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit