Christmas shopping unhealthy for men.

by BrentR 33 Replies latest jw friends

• BrentR
    BrentR

Most of us guys hate shopping and now there was a study done on the psysiologic effects of shopping on men. So ladies, when we don't want to go shopping with you don't take it personal. It might be relaxing and enjoyable for you but it has the opposite effect on men.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/1998/12/22/xmasshop981222.html

"Every single man in our study became very stressed in the experiment," Lewis said. "In some cases we saw blood pressure that you might associate with a combat pilot flying into action or a riot police officer facing an angry mob. It was not a pleasant experience. It was a kind of shopping nightmare, a day in hell so far as they were concerned."

• Renegade
    Renegade

OH NO! Christmas shopping! It burns!

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Here is what I found to be the most interesting part:

When the men involved were shopping for themselves, for things like cars, there was no stress at all. It was only when shopping for family and friends that their blood pressures and heartbeats skyrocketed.
  • BrentR
    BrentR

I hate it no matter who I am shopping for.

• Renegade
    Renegade

They're probably just worried about his wife and kids having tantrums when they find out he hasn't got the right things. (By the way it's a joke.)

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Thanks for the article Brent!

I knew the mrs. was trying to do me in, in some way. I've been checking my cuticles for years for proof of poison, now I know how she's been doing it.

***Shakes fist at Santa for being 'in on it'. It also explains why Santa's face is always red, hbp.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I have learned after 15 years: unless you can possibly avoid it, do not take hubby shopping. He hates it and really doesn't like people very much either. So you can imagine my shock when yesterday he asked me to get a babysitter for tomorrow. He couldn't tend the kids, he was going SHOPPING! I am throwing a Passion Party tomorrow night, no men or kids allowed. I guess he figured shopping was the lesser of the two evils.

I fully expect to get something by Craftsman or from Bass Pro Shops.

momz

• Renegade
    Renegade

Mmm, raging little demons or expired credit card? (Yet again, kidding!)

• uriah
    uriah

I hate shopping too. Men know how to shop though. They know what they want, go to the right shop, buy, come out and go home. Job done. Women like to go round dozens of shops. That is why there are so many shoe shops, clothes shops, accessory shops and the like. Go into monsoon or mothercare, the male goods are all on one rack. The female stuff fills the shop. Have you tried going round PC World with your wife, she glazes over after 2 seconds and says "have you found what you want yet - sigh" and that is just one shop. Then she trolls you round all her shops as pennace for making her go into PC World and asks you questions like "Do you think this will go in the kitchen, or will this blue one be better?" What is it, a tea towel. So you say the blue one and she says so you don't like the yellow one then and you say the yellow one is fine too, so she says well don't you think the yellow one will go better, or what about this orange one and you say well have what one you want and she says you could show some interest and you say I did you asked and I said blue and she says you only said that to shut me up and you say no I didn't I like blue you know I like blue, you asked me yellow or blue and I chose blue now you ask me about orange. Then she says let's have a look in Rosby's and see if they have anything else and maybe CH Fabrics and I saw some in Laura Ashly the other day - and we still have not bought a thing and I want to die because the day stretches out before you and the high street is so long and you can't just go to Rosby's because there are shops on the way that she wants to go in and I start to foam at the mouth.

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL at Uriah.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit