Would YOU Be Concerned If The Next President Was A Mormon, Or.....

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The one thing I would hate the most is if the Witlesses ever got a flash of new light (maybe a new Christmas bulb blinked on) and it was acceptable for them to run for president. During that window, one decided to run--and won. This person is otherwise "exemplary", and did all he could to promote the Watchtower Society. Now, he is going to be able to do even more to outlaw Christmas, higher education, the Internet, and make it a felony to have consensual sex outside marriage. Anyone with ideas that could clash with the Watchtower Society, whether from direct observations or from science, would be in a lot of trouble.

Were this to happen, we would suddenly be the worst tyranny on the planet. It would make old East Germany and the Soviet Union look like free countries in comparison. And, if the US ever decided (another Christmas bulb) to force its viewpoint on the world, we could be in for a war that would make the Iran situation look like a firecracker going off. Following which, we would be in the Second Dark Ages from which no one would ever emerge. Remember, they would use existing technology to enforce it all.

I think I would rather find myself in the Oval Office, complete with little or no qualifications, than have a Witless in there. At least I could learn as I go, put a stop to burdensome regulations, and then fix the constitution so that they could never again grow back. That would be a lot of work. Ultimately, I would like to see a total atheist or antitheist with excellent background knowledge of what needs to be done, along with the nerve to actually pull it off, in there for as long as necessary to get our freedom back on solid footing.

A Mormon--I don't think so. Not if they are going to pass laws that are going to bias the country to Mormonism. I would rather have a president that both has the background knowledge and is free of the mysticism brought on by religion, especially a cult. Only then can our country truly be fixed.

• minimus
    minimus

WTWizard, I'd vote for ya.

• undercover
    undercover
    No cult religion needs to run my country, Mormons are no different than the witness and if a leader was into Islam ? That too would be out of line for our country. This country was founded on God the father and the Son Christ, not on Budda, Alla or whatever or whoever.

Um....

What religion would suit your narrow-mindedness as being acceptable?

Would you accept an agnostic or atheist to run your country?

• golf2
    golf2

All presidents since Woodrow Wilson must follow the plans of the elite rich. Rich in power and money! The owners of the the Federal Reserve and the Black Pope.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

The fact of the matter is that a president's religion does color his perception of matters, so one has to look at what that religion teaches to see if it is compatible with the ideals of the constitution, democracy, and freedom.

Mormons believe they are the one true faith. They believe everyone that does not join their church goes to hell. This puts a severe devaluation on the lives of people outside the faith, since they believe those outside the faith are "doomed anyway."
    The United States was set up to be tolerant of all beliefs (being founded by the descendents of those persecuted for their faith) and even of non-belief. Thomas Jefferson wrote "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty Gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg," and "...The United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." This country was founded on the ideal that all are equal, and everyone should have a say in their government.

It is obvious that Mitt Romney's ideals are in conflict with the ideals of this nation. He believes he is part of a priviledged divine upper class and would not hesitate to strip away the rights of all non-Mormons if the legislative and judicial branches weren't there to hold him in check. Even if he wouldn't, and even if he is a fairly normal person that wouldn't force his religion on people, he would still be more inclined to funnel federal funds into Mormon and mormon-owned organization, showing favoritism in a fashion not suitable for the president of a country that claims not to endorse any religion.

Mormon belief dictates that the church/god is number one priority in life. If Romney is a true mormon, he believes this too, and we need a president who's number one priority is the country. Again, Romney might not be that radical, but I don't want to gamble this country's future on how cognitively dissonant the president is to his church

I do not want any president in power that belongs to a religion claiming to be the "one true faith" while condemning everyone else to eternal punishment.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm not threatened by Romney's Mormonism. I don't see him becoming President but while he was Governor, Mormonism never played a role. He's a media hound, that's all.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Mormons are to wacky for me. After. W I want this country to stay away from dingbats and wacnoids and sleazy drug addicts in the oval office.

Of course that would leave just one canidate, Ron Paul.

• Maddie
    Maddie

As soon as I hear the word Mormon I think of cult just as I do with the WT. Any cult is evil IMO so I would be very concerned (freaked out even).

Maddie

• restrangled
    restrangled

I am an independent and was leaning toward the Dems.

I have to say I was so impressed with his speech, (first of all because he wrote it himself)....I can't remember the last time that happened with our presidents other than Ronald Reagan. Second, he had some of the most intelligent verbage I have heard in a long time. (So tired of hearing Bush's buffoonery)

I do think he should have included those who are Athiests, or just don't worship under an organized religion. Or have no wish to worship under any circumstances. That is covered under the US's constitution also.

Would I be concerned if he was voted in as President. No, he seems quite dignified/qualified....something we have not had in a very long time.

And by the way, all religions think they are the one and only. We have been living with that for years. Don't freak out.... no one beats the JWs.

r.

r.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Would you accept an agnostic or atheist to run your country?

Well if I had to choose I would pick the agnostic.

Narrow mindedness ? No I hardly think so but that's ok that you want to through immature word punches. Does anyone really want a cult religion in as a leader ? Not any ex cult members I know ! Don't you realize that the laws in the state of Utah go in with the Mormon beliefs because the governor there always seem to be a Mormon ? I was on the road several years ago and was driving through Salt Lake, I stopped at a McDonald's to grab some grub in the drive through. I was asked what ward I was in. I said none, I guess if your a member you got discounts at the crappy macky. So don't tell me that Mitneys Mormonism will not control how the white house is run I know better and so should you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit