Would YOU Be Concerned If The Next President Was A Mormon, Or.....

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK

I had my youth controlled by the bible. I don't need a president running this country making decisions for me using the bible as his guide.

I don't care what faith he maintains as long as he/she leaves it at home when he comes to work.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Well, he doesn't strike me as being a typical insular, born-and-raised in SLC type of Mormon, you know, the types who really believe in the most innocent, sheeplike sense, that Mormonism is the literal truth and as an extension of this that Mormons are the center of the whole world and people outside the faith are just kinda on the periphery and not very important.

If anything, he just strikes me as being such a businessman. Not very inspiring. He's even talked about all the business consultants he would bring in to improve the management of the goverment. blah

He's very wealthy. I don't care for that aspect either. Enough of the Republican aristocrats already.

• moshe
    moshe
    Imagine a Jehovah's Witness becoming President!

Well, President Eisenhower was raised an Ex-Bible Student follower of Pastor Russell until he got old enough to go off to school- maybe an ex-Mormon could get elected as President.

• Mary
    Mary
    Would YOU Be Concerned If The Next President Was A Mormon

At first glance, I thought this said: Would YOU Be Concerned If The Next President Was A Moron." I thought "You couldn't possibly get a bigger Moron than the one who's already in there." LOL!

The one thing I would hate the most is if the Witlesses ever got a flash of new light (maybe a new Christmas bulb blinked on) and it was acceptable for them to run for president. During that window, one decided to run--and won. This person is otherwise "exemplary", and did all he could to promote the Watchtower Society. Now, he is going to be able to do even more to outlaw Christmas, higher education, the Internet, and make it a felony to have consensual sex outside marriage. Anyone with ideas that could clash with the Watchtower Society, whether from direct observations or from science, would be in a lot of trouble.

If history teaches us anything, it's that people would rather endure war, rather than give up the simple pleasures in life. Oliver Cromwell pulled this crap in the mid-1650s where everyday, simple pleasures were outlawed and the people hated it. While it lasted until his death, the public would have eventually rebelled against it. More recently, look what happened in the States when Prohibition came into being. It was a dismal failure and people rebelled against it.

If a Witness were ever elected to the Oval Office (and there's a better chance of me winning the lottery twice in the next month than that happening), they'd be insane to ever attempt to outlaw Christmas, Easter or to try and make fornication a capitol offense. They certainly would not be able to do anything about higher education. And unlike the rank and file Dubs who are under mind control, the average Joe on the street would certainly rebel against any sort of infringment on their rights to celebrate holidays......

I would be very leary of voting for a Mormon. Their religion is too similiar to the Borg and they have the same mindset: It's our way, or the highway. Mormons don't drink alcohol, coffee or tea.....would a Mormon President attempt to enforce this on 300 million people??

I think for now the Americans have had it with a religious nutcase for President. Georgie-Boy put his own personal ideas and feelings ahead of everyone else in the country and as a result, is probably going down as the worst president in American history......I wouldn't care if someone has a religion, but they have to be able to make decisions for the country apart from what their own personal religious beliefs are.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I don't have a problem with a person being elected that has religious beliefs...

I do have a BIG problem with F U N D A M E N T A L I S T S ! ! !

There are plenty of people that believe in invisible spirits -- and somehow manage to be great folks. It's the ones that hear their god's voices and believe He/She/It...is leading them, to lead others...are the ones I'm afraid of.

There are also agnostics & atheists that are mad men, too. I'll have to try and figure out which candidate has human needs at the top of their 'to do list', rather than ancient writings attributed to an unseen, invisible, all-powerful life force that never shows their face or hands to help mankind.

Agnostic Rabbit

• changeling
    changeling

I'm more concerned that he's a Republican...

changeling

• Makena1
    Makena1

Locutus - good post IMO, and I agree. As much as we love Hawaii, we may have to move to Costa Rica if the flip floppin' Mormon is elected.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm not concerned he's a Mormon. Any American president is going to be of some faith or another, and "faith" don't come much more dangerous than the type that GW Bush carries around. Romney is no Bush in that respect, imo.

Unfortunately he has been a vigorous defender of Bush's war policy.

I'd worry about an America that would elect someone like Romney: a (vocal) war supporter with five sons between ages 24 and 35, none of whom have felt called to serve their country in uniform.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

This has been the most troubling issue for me, something that I dont take lightly at all. I can not in good conscience vote for a Mormon president, they are a cult. Maybe not as bad as the JW Cult, but they still are a cult, and far outside the mainstream of America.

If it came down to a vote between him and Hillary, than God forgive me, I may just have to vote for Hillary. At least everyone knows where Hillary stands, but I believe Romney is using some kind of Mormon theocratic warfare strategy to win the hearts and minds of voters. He may not appear like the typical Mormon now, but wait until he gets elected, but by then it would be too late.

I hope Huckabee can pull ahead of Romney.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I hear he has (had-fired yesterday?) Illegal immigrant maids. Another hypocrite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit