Would YOU Be Concerned If The Next President Was A Mormon, Or.....

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

or for that matter, if a candidate didn't believe in God or belonged to a sect or was a believer in Islam.....would you be leery?

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Yes!

Outaservice

• lesterd
    lesterd

Why??? It would be gods will, part of his plan.

• nvrgnbk
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I really would love to see an atheist president - it aint gonna happen though

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

I would be concerned about any leader who uses his position in Public Office to further a religious agenda. It does not automatically follow that a deeply religious person cannot divorce their beliefs from their decisions, but it would certainly be wise to place them under very close scrutiny and also have at the peoples behest a means of curtailing such an agenda should it raise its head.

This is all the US needs, yet another religiously motivated thickhead in office following an agenda formulated by other religiously motivated thickheads.

HS

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Considering that Joe Smith prophecied that a Mormon would become president at a time of trouble for the US and save the republic from collapsing . . . How can Mitt Romney, if he is a devout and obedient Mormon, and in subjection to the 12 leaders of the LDS (called Apostles, the leader of the 12 is called the Prophet) not allow this to color his judgement and his own perception of what role he plays in his churches world view/agenda.

yes, that troubles me

Imagine one of the GB as president

President George Bush is an eschatalogical christian, and by his own admission, it does color his perceptions of the world and his role on the world stage.

• undercover
    undercover

An excerpt from an editiorial article by Donald Kaul:

"... I don’t understand why some people, and more than a few, think Mitt Romney is unqualified because he is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A Mormon.

There seems to be this feeling that Mormonism is more cult than religion and a kooky cult at that. To that I say, let’s put it to the test:

Do Mormons drink sacramental wine and pretend they’re drinking the blood of their founder? No, Mormons don’t drink at all, actually.

Do Mormons, as a matter of ritual, hire a non-medical person to mutilate their baby sons’ penises when they’re eight days old? I don’t believe so.

Do Mormons rush into crowded buildings and blow themselves up in expectation that God will reward them with eternal life in a heaven equipped with 32 virgins per martyr? Never heard of it happening.

All of those things happen in other religions.

What about polygamy? Well, what about it? The Mormon Church withdrew its sanction of polygamy in 1890---117 years ago. If you’re expecting Mitt Romney to take two or three more wives any time soon you’re going to be sadly disappointed. Actually, of the four major Republican candidates, he’s the only one who’s had only one wife.

My point is this: Looked at from the outside, all religions seem more than passing strange and, at their extremes, downright crazy. That is because they are not rational; they are systems of belief. Attempts to justify religious beliefs rationally are always a little absurd (see “scientific creationism”). Belief and the feeling of well-being it engenders need no further justification.

I’m fine with that. It’s a free country; believe what you want (except for the bombing, of course).

I’m sure Mormons practice things that seem odd to the rest of us. So what? Looked at objectively, from a distance, they are an admirable people---clean-living, industrious, generous and civic-minded.

If you don’t want to vote for Mitt Romney, I can think of a number of very good reasons not to do so. Being a Mormon isn’t one of them."

For the most part, I agree with that sentiment.

On the other hand, having lived in a similar "kooky cult", I know that people in these high control groups tend to make decisions based on what they believe is the "truth" as only they know through their religious faith. There is a certain amount of superiority that comes from being in one of these groups. Maybe Mormons aren't as bad as JWs in this regard, but it makes me wonder about what values he will rely on when making decisions or vetoing a bill.

Looking at it from Mr. Kaul's position, no one religion is kookier than the next so Romney can't be any worse than the current crusader that's in office.

• minimus
    minimus

Being from Mass., I understand the superiority thing. He does come across as a know it all, above the masses. Regarding his religion, I think his religion is
    cultish".....But I think extreme Moral Majority types are too.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

If Mitt Romney ever did become president (which I highly doubt he will) I do not think he ever would start making decisions and policies specifially based upon his beliefs in the mormon church (outside of the principles embraced by the christian right which i'm sure he would pander to). All eyes would be watching him in this regard and it would political suicide for him to start making decisions based on his specific Mormon beliefs. The press would just eat him alive for it and I think public approval would be in the tank IMO.

That said, it isn't fun to think that an American president would actually be part of a religious institution that pratices shunning. But imo his mormon experience seems to be far removed from the norm because of his public life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit