WOULD WOMEN MAKE GOOD ELDERS?

by Dansk 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    Can you imagine a JC comprising three Pre Menstrual women? "We're not gonna DF you - we're going to rip your throat out. How dare you challenge our new Kingdumb Hell rules on trouser bulges on the platform?"

ROFLMAO!!!

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Dansk, with all due respect, what makes you think that the flawed women in a flawed organization could improve it? Based on my own experience with J-Dub women, they would be worse, not better than any male elder.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

There are good elders?

I mean, women could be elders, but I wouldn't really call the elder arrangement "good". Female elders would bring a different set of good qualities to the position, but also a set of bad qualities as well.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    what makes you think that the flawed women in a flawed organization could improve it?

Well, first off it's all just hypothetical as, like you, I believe this (and all) cults are flawed.

Also, I'm not necessarily saying things would improve - that's why I'm throwing the question out to others.

Kerj2leev makes a very good point:

I never got the point that a woman can be of the anointed, but never have anything to say in the congregation?

Something else to consider is would I feel good about going before three elders on a JC, one a window cleaner, another a car mechanic and the third a stacker at Tescos or would I feel better going before a woman who is a highly trained psychologist (of course we have highly trained male psychologists, too, but, as I said, this all just hypothetical).

I just feel women can add an extra dimension to decision-making in all spheres of life and many have shown they are equal to or even better than men in certain situations. Therefore, why shouldn't women be given the opportunity to be elders?

As the situation will never happen it doesn't matter. I just appreciate what others here think.

Ian

Based on my own experience with J-Dub women, they would be worse, not better than any male elder.

ANY male elder? Given the existence of pedophile elders, the J-Dub women you have experience with must be really horrible, otherwise, your assertion appears to be indicative of a sexist attitude.

• sir82
    sir82
    Women (please don't sister bash me after this girls) also tend to gossip a lot. I mean elders meetings would turn into high tea, who did what to whom and why and how.

Bwa-ha-ha!

Like that doesn't happen now at elders' meetings! Except for the "tea" part.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Gilberto, Thanx for clarifying. I agree that women and men are both prone to infidelity (unfortunatly).

I think women elders would be a good balancing act. But even better would be if the congregation elected the elders. As it is now (or when I was a JW) the elders were playing on an old-boy netword (i believe the term is). My congregation had at least 4 elders that were family related. One of those elders was known as a hearthless asshole. I even had a shouting argument with him in the Hall, cuz he was mean to my mom (but thats another story).

So the way things are arranged now, women as elders probably would not make a big difference as it would be the elder-wife-bitches getting appointed.

• franzy
    franzy

well sure, as long as she is the wife of one husband, of course.

• DT
    DT

This discussion is going to give me nightmares. I believe that women can often do a better job on many of the things that elders do, especially with regard to emotional issues, but I would hate to see another gender be exposed to the pressures and opportunities of abuse that exist in the elder arrangement. The JW organisation warps the natural human tendencies of its members, so I fear that the women who would become elders would usually be the ones you don't want to see having extra power.

This would also result in elder couples. Can you imagine the power that an elder couple would have? They could do all kinds of shepherding and intimidation without involving the rest of the elder body. The thought terrifies me.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

After dad died I was brought up by a female elder - even though we were not JW. It is not recommended though I'm sure she did her best. It swamped me in a mire of responsibility and life garbage every day for years on end. It changed my life for ever and I hated it! Then I became a JW just to get a feel for life under male elder supervision of my new family! Do I like punishment. So no, women do not make good elders or managers of people in my experience, though I once worked with a Melanie Sykes lookalike in middle management who could have easily change my mind. So if they are hot I will feel inclined . If they are not I will be unsure! If they are compassionate I will love them. If they like and respect me I will go with it. If they are discompassionate nothing can make me like them! So on the whole no, there are no hot, compassionate women who like and respect me so I will not allow it! Notice how I am exploring my own psychology live online! I am one hot guy blazing invisible psychology live to the world!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit