WOULD WOMEN MAKE GOOD ELDERS?

by Dansk 74 Replies latest jw friends

• UU Now
    UU Now
    The meaning of the word elder is "older man."

The meaning of the word elder is "older." That the older person is male is assumed by some, including JWs.

• Mary
    Mary

MARY WOULD MAKE A FANTASTIC ELDER.....I've often told her that....

Awww....thanks hon. But I reeeeeally want to reach out for 'greater responsibilities' in God's Organization.

I want Uncle Teddy's job. Just to change a thing or two with regards to the way things are done. Who'd like to be appointed on the New and Improved Governing Body??!!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Women (please don't sister bash me after this girls) also tend to gossip a lot. I mean elders meetings would turn into high tea, who did what to whom and why and how. In that religion I don't think any gender would make a good elder - they would be indoctrinated the same.

I've seen a couple of husband and wife elders in this one church - and that seems to work okay. Rather let you lead yourself or let the spirit do it. You don't need to be guided by anyone.

• UU Now
    UU Now
    Women (please don't sister bash me after this girls) also tend to gossip a lot.

People tend to gossip a lot.

I mean elders meetings would turn into high tea, who did what to whom and why and how.

Isn't that what they talk about now? Oh, no, wait, that's the JC. My bad.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

well they couldn't be any worse

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Honestly, I don't know..... I'm married, so........ hmmm..... LOL. True, women can be compassionate and understanding, but I've noticed that many of them are vicious and vindictive. They can be kind and compassionate and in the very next breath they can be vicious and vindictive. It's kind of scary. I am always the mediator in the office wars between the various females that work here and I can tell you that it is not pretty dealing with the women at my office who are in positions of power. It is constant drama. Seriously. Every day is like a bad movie off of the Lifetime Channel. Who-said-what-about-who, who-is-out-to-get-who, who-does-she-think-she-is, I'm-going-to-get-her-back-for-that, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I prefer the kindness and understanding of a woman, but I fear the underlying potential of such unfettered, unreasonable, misdirected viciousness that I witness on a daily basis. When I think about this topic, all I can think of when I close my eyes is Hillary Clinton, which is very scary.

Now that I've pissed off a bunch of people with my opinion, I must say that I have an even greater amount of fear and distrust of anyone who seeks a position of authority because way too many people want the status of a title attached to their names or want the authority just to abuse it. Rare is the person who seeks a position just because they want to help others. Just think of how many priests abuse kids or how many crooked cops there are or how many crooked politicians, lawyers and judges there are out there! I think the best thing is to be able to think for yourself and understand your own circumstances well enough so that you won't blindly follow the advice of someone who seeks to manipulate you for their own advantage or amusement. Man, am I cynical or what?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Can you imagine a JC comprising three Pre Menstrual women?

"We're not gonna DF you - we're going to rip your throat out. How dare you challenge our new Kingdumb Hell rules on trouser bulges on the platform?"

Seriously though I think its the men who would have a problem with woman elders. They have a hard ( in the mundane sense) time talking sense anyway. The distractions of a stunning young elder, or the irritation at a battle axe old amazon would make matters even worse.

If women were on the Gibbering Buddy it would be a bunch of bitches that know everything. Female bosses tend to be even more micro managing in the workplace than most men. It would make da troof unbearable. Now I think about it - lets have women in th GB and elders.

People would be leaving in droves!!

HB

• Dansk
    Dansk

Thanks for all your replies!

My point is, if women could be made elders they could also be made CO's and DO's - and even end up on the GB, so the man-made dogma and mind-controlling system that made women subservient wouldn't be there. Women, in general (at least in my experience) have kinder natures than men, due, no doubt, to their motherly instincts. Now I'm not saying for one moment that there aren't any wonderfully kind men about, just that generally women have softer, less aggressive natures (Margaret Thatcher apart!). For example, if women ruled countries instead of men would they be so quick to send their sons to war?!

Whatever group, be it religious or otherwise, I think it would prosper with a feminine balance.

Ian

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

I'm sure there would be some that would be good and some bad, at least let them try. Maybe they would find it's not all what it's cracked up to be.

I never got the point that a woman can be of the anointed, but never have anything to say in the congregation?

• UU Now
    UU Now
    I am always the mediator in the office wars between the various females that work here and I can tell you that it is not pretty dealing with the women at my office who are in positions of power. It is constant drama. Seriously. Every day is like a bad movie off of the Lifetime Channel. Who-said-what-about-who, who-is-out-to-get-who, who-does-she-think-she-is, I'm-going-to-get-her-back-for-that, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I'm sorry the women you work with are llike that. I've been in the workforce for 20+ years, working with men and women, and behavior like that has been the exception. Please don't attribute the negative traits of your co-workers to all women.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit