Jdub deaths in nazi death camps how many

by buffalosrfree 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Dagney
    Dagney
    ...the 25,000 to 30,000 Germans who in 1933 were Jehovah's Witnesses, an estimated 20,000 remained active through the Nazi period. The remainder fled Germany, renounced their faith, or confined their worship to the family. Of those remaining active, about half were convicted and sentenced at one time or another during the Nazi era for anywhere from one month to four years, with the average being about 18 months. Of those convicted or sentenced, between 2,000 to 2,500 were sent to concentration camps, as were a total of about 700 to 800 non-Germans Witnesses (this figure includes about 200-250 Dutch, 200 Austrians, 100 Poles, and between 10 and 50 Belgians, French, Czechs, and Hungarians).

The number of Jehovah's Witnesses who died in concentration camps and prisons during the Nazi era is estimated at 1,000 Germans and 400 from other countries, including about 90 Austrians and 120 Dutch. (The non-German Jehovah's Witnesses suffered a considerably higher percentage of deaths than their German co-religionists.) In addition, about 250 German Jehovah's Witnesses were executed--mostly after being tried and convicted by military tribunals--for refusing to serve in the German military

hfttp://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10006187

From the US Holocaust Museum in Washington's website.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I've never read Penton's book - but he IS an historian:

The 635 figure appears on page 197 of James Penton's book "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Third Reich: Sectarian Politics under Persecution". (Penton is a historian and former JW.)

Farkel mentioned Norman Hovland, from Norway, will most likely know the figures due to the research he did on the subject. Norm is a great friend of mine and only 'phoned last night. Wish I'd known about this thread earlier...........

Anyway, I'll contact him and ask.

Ian

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:VpIL9sQQO74J:www.swissbankclaims.com/Documents/DOC_74.6_hsp_4.pdf+JWHESF+swiss+banks&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Outreach

The JWHESF was the only organization identified with the capacity to

locate and assist eligible members of this victim group. The JWHESF

declined the additional task of identifying and assisting survivors who

may have been Jehovah’s Witnesses during the Nazi occupation but

were no longer members of this community.

• DocBob
    DocBob

The 635 figure is the WTS own number. Here is their accounting of the situation from the 1974 Yearbook, p. 212:

During Hitler’s rule 1,687 of them had lost their jobs, 284 their businesses, 735 their homes and 457 were not allowed to carry on their trade. In 129 cases their property had been confiscated, 826 pensioners had been refused their pensions and 329 others had suffered other personal loss. There were 860 children who had been taken away from their parents. In 30 cases marriages had been dissolved due to pressure by political officials, and in 108 cases divorces had been granted when requested by mates opposed to the truth. A total of 6,019 had been arrested, several two, three or even more times, so that, all together, 8,917 arrests were registered. All together they had been sentenced to serve 13,924 years and two months in prison, two and a quarter times as long as the period since Adam’s creation. A total of 2,000 brothers and sisters had been put into concentration camps, where they had spent 8,078 years and six months, an average of four years. A total of 635 had died in prison, 253 had been sentenced to death and 203 of these had actually been executed

These same figures were also included in The Watcthtower, 2/1/1976, p. 82.

Given the WTS penchant for accounting, I would think these are the real numbers. The higher numbers quoted from people like Christine King and others made for better press later. The WTS has built a whole little industry around their holocaust martyrs.

• nelly136
    nelly136

so that shoulda knocked the numbers down a bit,

http://www.swissbankclaims.com/pdfs_eng/JehovahsWitnessHolocaustEraENG_0076_056.PDF

perhaps someone could take some figures off of this cos i can't do a thing with pdfs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Out of 30,000 JWs, 203 executed? The Poles should have been so lucky! There were probably more than 203 converted Jws in the JWs than that! From what I have read of Germany at that time, it doesn't seem to have been an extra dose of persecution, but a rather light one. Over a 1000 Catholic Priest types died in Daschau. Thats just the priests/Bishops. Not the Catholics who fought against it. And they did!

I can't even fathom why this kind of thing ever happened. To anyone. Hideous.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Out of 30,000 JWs, 203 executed? The Poles should have been so lucky! There were probably more than 203 converted Jews in the JWs than that! From what I have read of Germany at that time, it doesn't seem to have been an extra dose of persecution, but a rather light one. Over a 1000 Catholic Priest types died in Daschau. Thats just the priests/Bishops. Not the Catholics who fought against it. And they did!

I can't even fathom why this kind of thing ever happened. To anyone. Hideous.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

"It is assumed that about 3,000 prisoners marked as IBV, the Jehovah's Witness category, were detained in concentration camps. Some 2,000 of these were prisoners from Germany. The others were from Holland (200-250 persons), Austria (200 persons), Poland (100 persons), and also from Belgium, France, Czechoslovakia, and the Soviet Union. (cf. Detlef Garbe, "Zwischen Widerstand und Martyrium: Die Zeugen Jehovas in Dritteb Reich" Munich 1999, p. 484)" from "Imprisoned for Their Faith: Jehovah's Witnesses in KL Auschwitz" page 10, Teresa Wontor-Cichy, ISBN 83-60210-24-1.

The book lists known names and their fates, as well as photos from ID cards from Auschwitz.

Doug

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

How many JWs died in the camps is a tiny fraction of those TENS OF THOUSANDS killed over the last seventy years from the WT blood ban.

The WT has killed more of its own followers than any of the opposers. It even turns mothers and fathers into well-meaning murderers.

Shame on them.

HB

• Norm
    Norm

Hey Farkel, Long time no see. Well here is what I found when I scoured the WT literature back in the days. You find it here: http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/ghost-witnesses-in-nazi-concentration.html http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-many-jehovahs-witnesses-in.html Not much consistency in the WT when they try to make their tiny piss ant religion seem huge. Norm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit