WT loses appeal in UK!!!!!!!

by Viva la Vida 76 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I assume if they lose charity status they have to pay Income Tax on money made on property they sell and Stamp Duty Land Tax on property they buy?
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I think there would be many implications. If they lose charitable status they would presumably be treated as any other corporation and be liable to corporation tax, local business rates, etc.

Could there be implications for HQ in the US, I wonder? As I understand it, large sums are sent from WTUK to WTUS. I assume it might make a difference to US taxes if the money is coming in from a non-charitable source?

Stand by for possible major organisational changes to WTUK.

• Splash
    Splash
    Expect all future congregation donations to be made to a US branch instead of a UK one.
  • 88JM
    88JM

They'd also lose the 20% boost on gift-aid donations or any contributions under £20 (i.e. most contributions)

Also, I think they'd start paying V.A.T. (20%) on anything purchased?

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

And since I was not around when this other thing happened, what was the issue they fought in France? I remember it was mentioned in assemblies as one of the many legal battles Jehovah fought for them and won. I also remember taxes were an issue.

Any ideas?

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Well analysed Joe G. This victory is only a minor skirmish, the decision on the real issues is yet to be made. I think that the current climate in the UK though is not going to treat WT kindly. They are being attacked on several fronts. I can't wait.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Pessimist view:

WTBTS is part of "the system", and will not be singled out to have their charitable status removed.

Perhaps a few raps on the knuckles, and directed to change certain interrogative procedures - but definitely no loss of tax-free privileges!

Nice to see huge sums of donations being used to pay the legal fees of a top QC!!

• cofty
    cofty

The borg's refusal to cooperate with the CC and resort to legal tactics to frustrate it's enquiry will not help it's case.

The time is ripe to make an example of an organisation that is failing in child welfare in the UK. Who better than one that nobody respects anyway?

Watch proceedings with interest. My guess is they will still fail to produce documents.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    and the average witness will never hear about it!
  • cofty
    cofty
    True, but if this process ends up with a loss of charitable status they definitely will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit