WT loses appeal in UK!!!!!!!

by Viva la Vida 76 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Viva la Vida
    Viva la Vida

The WT lost its appeals regarding the Charity Commission inquiry. Here is the ruling:

http://www.charity.tribunals.gov.uk/documents/decisions/Watch-Tower-ruling-03Mar15.pdf

There is an associated case to this which hearing is due tomorrow (10th march) at Fleetbank House , 2-6 Salisbury Square, London. I think it starts at 10 a.m.

The case name is Tayo, Bailey, Halls, Jones, Rowarth & Flanagan (Trustees of Manchester New Moston Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses) v Charity Commission for England & Wales

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate
    Interesting....
  • Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    Good. I wonder what this means practically?
  • steve2
    steve2
    Implications include? Loss of tax-free status? No sure what this means at a practical level.
  • Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    I'm wondering whether it will have financial implications for the trustees personally.
  • 88JM
    88JM
    Shame it's only for England and Wales.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    About to read with interest. Thanks for the update.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    If I understood correctly from the original story, this means the WT will be investigated as originally intended. This is on itself good, although the results from the investigation may not lead to anything (we sure hope it does), specially with the kind of political push happening in the UK right now.
  • wizzstick
    wizzstick

The WT's QC seems as arrogant as one would expect from a WT QC (Mr Clayton QC - I think this is Richard Clayton QC):

I asked Mr Clayton why the Charity had not made an application to the Tribunal in time but then asked for the Tribunal proceedings to be stayed pending determination of its application by the Administrative Court. He replied, frankly “we could have but we didn’t”.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

My reading of the judge's ruling is as follows.

The CC notified WT of its investigation and issued a production order for relevant documents. WT had 42 days to appeal the production order. It didn't but went down the route of trying to have the CC investigation stopped. (it could have put in an appeal against the PO anyway but didn't do so). It failed, so this application was for permission to enter a late appeal against the PO.

The judge refused permission. Now WT has to produce the material to satisfy the PO and the CC investigation will proceed. Could lead to loss of charitable status.

I found it interesting that in judge-speak it appears that WT engaged in delaying tactics, took a gamble knowing the risks and lost. The judge also pointed out that there was or may be ongoing risk to minors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit