Accidentally Hit Animals with Cars ? A Problem in Rural areas-Experiences?

by flipper 59 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK

In 1974, I hit two racoons, AT THE SAME TIME!

Several years ago I was traveleing rt26 in Errol, N.H. It was about 11 pm and I was doing 60. I didn't see the moose cow and her calf on the yellow line until they passed my side window. Wow, that's when I learned moose eyes don't shine in the headlight beams like other animals. Fifteen minutes later, something hit the car antenna pretty hard. I stopped and found a bat in the roadway.

• Dansk
    Dansk

When we lived on Anglesey in rural North Wales I swerved to miss a hedgehog - but ended up running over it.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I dearly love wildlife. I was so sickened by it.

Bubble, every year hundreds of Blackbirds get killed because, in rural areas, they fly from one hedgerow to another across the country lanes. I've seen their poor lifeless bodies lying in such lanes and it tends to happen during the breeding season.

Ian

• flipper
    flipper

BUBBLE- That's too bad about the pigeon. Probably just accidentally flew in there. And sorry about the hedgehog too.

DJK- 2 racoons at once ? Wow ! I'm glad the moose and calf got away ! The bat wasn't so lucky !

DANSK- Another hedgehog fatality ! Interesting. It is so true that we as humans encroach on animals turf and territory thus resulting in more harm to them than they would normally have without our intervention

• ninja
    ninja

I hit 3 drunks.....two pensioners.....the second was a picture as she flew over the car.....(I still laugh thinking of it).......and a bunch of stoned students.........after that brave display...i still lost death race 2000....there's always next year though

• flipper
    flipper

NINJA- If I ever travel to Scotland or England I will definitely make sure I'm not walking on the road when you are driving ! Wouldn't want to see a dead dolphin sprawled out on a country road would ya ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

We put deer whistles on our cars and they appear to be working fine. sammieswife

• maxwell
    maxwell

I grew up in a rural area. But fortunately never had the experience of hitting a deer. My mom hit one in the family minivan once. It really tore up the front end, but there was no mechanical damage. It was still driveable. I hit a dog once. I'm sure it died. It put a good dent in my bumper. I was probably going about 55 mph when it ran in front of me on a 4 lane divided highway at night. Now, I'm in the DC. I don't hear of deer being hit here to often, but I'm sure it happens sometimes. Believe it or not, there's quite a few running around in a park that extends up through the middle of the city and probably in some of the quieter surrounding neighborhoods. Of course, speeds are slower on local streets. I rarely drive anymore, but squirrels are forever running out in front of me when I'm riding my bicycle. I hit one once with my front wheel. I thought for sure it was dead. I turned around to look and it was gone. So maybe I only ran over its tail.

• flipper
    flipper

SAMMIELEE24- I used to have deer whistles too, and you are right they do tend to ward off the deer from running in front of your car. I might have to get some again.

MAXWELL- It is amazing to see how deer do live in some city areas and adjust to living around people. The deer also love eating my wife amd my garden this summer. They ate most everything up except the hot peppers ! But deer don't seem very smart to me , they just keep running in front of cars carelessly getting killed all the time. It's like they have a death wish or something, weird

• frozen one
    frozen one

I've had several crashes with animals over the years including one with a black bear. I really hate encountering critters of any size when I'm on my motorcycle. I haven't actually hit any animals while on my bike, but I've had some really close calls. I know a couple of people who have hit animals on their bikes and it tends to really ruin one's day...if not end one's life.

I read a few posts in this thread where people have swerved to avoid the animal. Never, never swerve to miss an animal. You most likely will lose control and end up crashing into another vehicle or the ditch or something. If a critter comes onto the road you are traveling, hit the brakes and hold it straight. Ask any state trooper or paramedic.

• flipper
    flipper

FROZEN ONE- Yeah, I agree with you. It is best to hold your car or bike on a straight line instead of swerving . Just ask your insurance company too. When I swerved and missed a deer 5 years ago but spun out and crashed into a cement divider, my insurance company blamed me, not the deer when it came to fault. So a lesson learned. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit